shipwreck on the news?

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
Hey guys... I jsut got back from lunch... and saw on the news what looked to be a story on a shipwreck or a treasure find. I just caught it out of the corner of my eye... a diver with a MD, an ROV, clear blue water... but I didn't catch the channel or the story. I did a quick search on cnn, msnbc and google but didn't come up with anything

Anybody know anything about it? I thought it might be some info on the San Jose... but i'm just guessing. Just wondering if anybody else saw it

steve

s_c_u_b_a

Jun 27, 2007
hey, i thought i might have seen somthing about that on tv last night but same thing nothing on any news sites or anything....

scuba...

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
The latest wreck info I got is a week and a half old. Here you go.
177-year-old shipwreck discovered in Lake Erie
Wednesday, June 20, 2007 3:47 PM
By Mike Lafferty

The Great Lakes Historical Society

A 177-year-old shipwreck that has eluded divers for decades has been found in Lake Erie.

“We have found the General Anthony Wayne,” Christopher Gillcrist, executive director of the Great Lakes Historical Society, said this afternoon.

Gillcrist and divers involved in the search made the announcement at historical society headquarters in Vermillion.

The wreck is in 50 feet of water, 8 miles north of Vermillion.

The Wayne was a 157-foot, side-wheel passenger steamer that sank when its boiler exploded on April 28, 1850. About 100 passengers and crew were on board.

Searchers using side-scan sonar found the site in September and confirmed the find with two dives in May.

The paddlewheel housing that bore the vessel's name was destroyed in the explosion and the ship's bell has not been found. But no other side-wheel steamer has been lost in that location.

Gillcrist said other characteristics of the wreck, including the particular type of paddle wheels, make the find conclusive.

All Lake Erie shipwrecks in Ohio waters belong to the state. Salvaging the wreck is illegal but divers can visit the site as soon as it is surveyed and the exact coordinates are released, Gillcrist said.

While the Wayne was hauling passengers and cargo from Perrysburg to Buffalo, what the ship was not carrying when it sank was a reported $40 million in gold.

More than 2,000 ships have sunk in Lake Erie over the years.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Anthony Wayne

Built in Perrysburgh, Ohio by Samuel Hubbell in 1837 as General Wayne 837
Specifications: 156.5 feet length, 25.75 feet wide, 10.25 depth, 390.5 tons
Rebuilt in winter 1848-49
New Specifications: 155 feet by 27.33 feet by 10 feet, 400 tons
Owned by Perrysburgh & Miami Steamboat Co.
Sank April 27, 1850 following a boiler explosion.
Cargo: Passengers, wine, cattle.

Passengers Crew Total
63 30 93
25 uninjured 15 saved 40 saved
11 wounded 4 wounded 15 wounded
10 killed 11 killed 21 killed
17 missing 0 missing 17 missing
38 killed or missing

Source: Great Lakes Historical Society

For additional health information, visit OhioHealth

http://www.dispatch.com/dispatch/content/local_news/stories/2007/06/20/wreck.html

kenb

OP
OP
spez401

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
hey ken
thanks for the link and the info, but that wasn't the one I saw... unless they were using footage from something else. What i could see across the restaurant looked like clear blue carribean/florida water... divers wearing shorties (ie warm water) and gold finds.

Could be they were reporting on odyssey, or the san jose, or any other story and were using stock footage... that's why i asked
steve

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There was recently some more gold and other artifacts found on the 1622 Margarita site down in the Keys, after the pearls were found, so maybe that is what you saw.

From the Mel Fisher forum:

Hi Everyone,

Watch Fox news today! There will be a piece on Mel Fisher's Treasures. We went out to sea on Sunday with the news crew and they will be doing a live shoot as well. According to the news crew you can keep an eye out during the last 20 minutes of Fox news shows nationwide during the 11 am hour, the 3pm hour and the 7pm hour.

Hope everyone is doing well, Today's the Day!

Sharon

psdiver

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites/JWFisher Pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
www.foxnews.com
click on videos lower right side
treasure hunters search shipwrecks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread