Shipwreck Personal Items

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yesterday & today I located a spot that was on my bucket list. Finally got the chance to get there with the minus tides... At first I found just a few coins here and there, but that all changed when I found a pewter spoon, and a silver handle to another object? Then a musket ball, then 2, then 3, wow they were all over the area. Mostly drops... Sometimes there were 2 of them in each hole. This got me to thinking, there must have been a bag or something holding them together at one time?.... I found 2 Large Cents... One was dated 1799, unfortunately it crumbled away to almost nothing, all I did was rinse it under water... That's what happens when in the mud for over 2 hundred years... I found 3 lead flat buttons and 1 brass button... Quite a few lead pieces that I think may have been used for a seighn net?... If anyone knows for sure let me know... I would really like to date this wreck. I also located the keil to the ship up high in the sand...A padlock and a sterling wine cork stopper... I also had a sight find, it was this beautiful octagon shaped bottle without a flaw on it anywhere... It stands about 12 inches high... Anyone know anything about what I have?... It's still corked, and seems to have some seeds or something in it.. Can't wait to see what the other Large cent looks like. I should also say that all these items were in a very small area, maybe a 50 x 50 spot. Happy Hunting and if anyone knows what I have, give me jingle... Shipwreck Items (2).JPG Shipwreck Items (3).JPG Shipwreck Items (5).JPG Shipwreck Items (9).JPG Shipwreck Items (10).JPG

Upvote 22

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that looks like a cathedral pickle bottle. except the neck is so skinny it must be a pepper sauce bottle. it would have had whole hot peppers and vinegar in it that would explain the seeds. do they look like pepper seeds? I would guess that bottle dates to the mid 18 hundreds. nice finds that must have been a lot of fun.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
that looks like a cathedral pickle bottle. except the neck is so skinny it must be a pepper sauce bottle. it would have had whole hot peppers and vinegar in it that would explain the seeds. do they look like pepper seeds? I would guess that bottle dates to the mid 18 hundreds. nice finds that must have been a lot of fun.
It has some kind of seeds but I don't want to open it, if it may be a good find... would rather keep it intact...

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool finds indeed, love that bottle. It seems like you might have a lead weight for a fishing net there (upper right corner of the towel) so you most likely have a fishing boat from the early 1800s. I am sure you will find lots more on her so keep digging before the summer tides bring back the sand and cover her up.
Are those modern coins or older?
ZDD

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has some kind of seeds but I don't want to open it, if it may be a good find... would rather keep it intact...
yes I agree do not open it. A a picture of the bottom of the bottle and a close up of the seam on the side could date that bottle more closely.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice variety of finds. Too bad about the crumbling Large Cent.

CTX Tom

Jul 5, 2012
Upstate,NY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Teknetics 2 SE
E Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dynamite pile of goodies ya got ! WTG on finding a great spot!

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure the cork doesn't dry out/ rot, or else you'll lose the contents of the bottle! Sweet finds!

HH
-GC

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
yes I agree do not open it. A a picture of the bottom of the bottle and a close up of the seam on the side could date that bottle more closely.
Here are few more pictures... can the bottle be dated? and what are the smaller items ...made of lead.... I know the big one was used as a sounding weight... Shipwreck Bottle (2).JPG Shipwreck Bottle (3).JPG Shipwreck sounding weight.JPG Shipwreck tools (1).JPG Shipwreck tools (2).JPG

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea,pretty sure that is a Pepper sauce!!

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, that is a pepper sauce bottle, it dates to around the 1870's

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find on an INTACT pepper sauce with the contents!!! Keep 'er intact for sure.

shedseeker

Oct 28, 2012
ny
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster GT , Garrett ace 250 , Garrett AT PRO
Garrett AT pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
awesome find... get back there as there gots to be many more goodies !!

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fantastic site and finds Whydah, just the one hunt would make a awesome display case :sunny:

Gestus

Sep 13, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Congrats! Looks like you find a great site

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread