Dec 29, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse only
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
blowers

AUV once again I will have to say you do not know what you are talking about
If you really understood the methodology of this equipment in its proper USE and I want emphasize proper use here, you would know that this is the only true way to identify targets and remove the bulk of the sand/overburden from a potential wreck site, however once that is done then yes dredges would be the tool of choice
In SC the "archaeologist" are using a clam bucket to remove a historical wreck site
( and test there was a better way to do that)
"Really" a clam bucket, how is that ok, just saying, state the facts not what you think or heard from someone that has not been there. just because you drove a boat one time doesn't make you a Captain

Absolutely not. It is a crude piece of machinery used by treasure hunters who have no interest in anything but the large pieces of heavy metals ie gold/silver.

It obliterates context, the foundation of the provenance of artifacts. Most artifacts are blown away in the process.

The blower is a tool for underwater scrap metal scavengers...nothing more, nothing less.

There is nothing wrong with this, just call it what it is.

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
Actually, the H.L.Hunley was discovered and reported by E. Lee Spence, and was a matter of public record 20-25 years before Cussler 'found' it.

I have often heard Spence's claim about the wreck's coordinates and the accuracy thereof. I have also heard that those numbers changed. Can you tell me where I might find a document proving that Spence's original location of the wreck was as accurate as he claims ? Remember, the location of the Housitanic was well known.

Frankly, the only proof of Spence's discovery that I have ever seen are some notations on a nautical chart which could have been made at any time.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Absolutely not. It is a crude piece of machinery used by treasure hunters who have no interest in anything but the large pieces of heavy metals ie gold/silver.

It obliterates context, the foundation of the provenance of artifacts. Most artifacts are blown away in the process.

The blower is a tool for underwater scrap metal scavengers...nothing more, nothing less.

AUVnav you obviously don't know anything about archaeological excavation. The Institute of Nautical Archaeology at Texas A&M University used blowers to excavate the ship La Belle. :tongue3:

Last edited:

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course, I know nothing because I cannot fathom an archaeological recovery using a blower. Blowing a giant hole and see what is left at the bottom?

As a few of you are aware, the shallowest recovery I have personally worked was about Brother Jonathan at 300 feet, all the way to 6500 feet. Much of the work has been consulting engineering, and mapping.

Notice the AUV with sidescan, mag, and subbottom in the avatar.

I see many posts about the identification of the 1715 fleet, why hasnt anyone been able to identify anything else from that fleet?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sorry AUVnav but I fail to see the AUV, sidescan, mag or subbottom profiler in your avatar. As a matter of fact, you have NO avatar!

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry AUVnav but I fail to see the AUV, sidescan, mag or subbottom profiler in your avatar. As a matter of fact, you have NO avatar!

I would expect to have to lead you in particular thru the simplest of tasks. I am curious, if you forgot to breathe, would you die?

Okay, see where it says AUVnav...click on that.

For further explanation of what you see, please ask someone else.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I would expect to have to lead you in particular thru the simplest of tasks. I am curious, if you forgot to breathe, would you die?

Okay, see where it says AUVnav...click on that.

For further explanation of what you see, please ask someone else.

OK AUVnav I saw your avatar. Do you see mine? You know what I'm showing you? KISS IT!

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
the shallowest recovery I have personally worked was about Brother Jonathan at 300 feet

So why are you discussing the use of blowers with no experience? Why are you insulting those of us who have extensive experience in using them? Please find something more constructive to do elsewhere. Your insults outweigh your contributions to this forum. By far.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Auvnar, end the insults now....

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What do you mean absolutely not? The fact that a propwash deflector IS used in the recovery process of shipwreck artifacts is indisputable. Do you want me to show you a video of one being used?

I'm a treasure hunter, and damn proud of it!! I have a tremendous amount of interest in historical artifacts other than "large pieces of heavy metals ie gold/silver". I have a love of history unto its self.

So second pitch, you've swung and whiffed again!!!

Third pitch coming.....

"Most" artifacts are not blown away. Most artifacts remain within the excavation. We then tag each unique type of item individually and it is put into record with its GPS coordinate, water depth, overburden type and depth along with various other information that has been determined by archaeologists and salvors to be important. These are our daily field note and activity log(s) that we keep all day every day.

This information is then post processed into a database with over 30 years of data from prior excavations.

One of the highlights of a life time (49 years) of recoveries from a salvor that has found pounds of gold and tons of silver is an ornately carved piece of wood, a trail board from the Corrigan's wreck site. The trail board was discovered by using survey data from 15 years prior and was uncovered from the use of propwash deflection.

So this shows how useful the work we do and how we utilize those works to help continue the recoveries of historical shipwreck artifacts that the peoples of the world get to see, hold, own a piece of something that otherwise would be lost forever.

I might add that the trail board was donated to the state of Florida.

Go have a look at it....oh wait..... well that's another story!

I believe this also makes for your strike 3 on your unfounded negative statements on the highly viable and valuable work done by private sector historical shipwreck salvors aka treasure hunters!

and if you know anything about baseball...

3 strikes and .....

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Btw...

It is this type of statement that has unfairly cast a "generalized grey cloud" over the shipwreck / treasure hunter community...
This does not apply to those who would always opt for a "better way" given the knowledge ... the equipment and the chance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread