Shipwrecks in the Keys

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I ran across these two items in Keysnews.com from July 20, 2015. I don't recall hearing anything about them. Has anyone heard any later reports as to what ships they might have been?

Link can be found here: Salvor claims to have found Middle Keys shipwreck | KeysNews.com

"[FONT=&quot]Salvor claims to have found Middle Keys shipwreck[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
BY ADAM LINHARDT Citizen Staff
[email protected]

A shipwreck salvor has claimed to have found a wrecked sailing vessel somewhere off the Middle Keys, but as is usual with such cases, specifics about what treasures it may hold and from what year in history it hails remains shrouded in secrecy.
A company called EPW Salvage, Inc., owned by Edward Peter Worthington Jr., filed paperwork in federal court Wednesday asking U.S. District Court Judge Jose E. Martinez to grant him sole title to the unidentified vessel.
Martinez had not responded as of Friday.
Worthington is a commercial fisherman, said his lawyer, Hugh Morgan of Key West.
Morgan declined to say what has been recovered thus far from the wreck, but added the water is shallow enough to be searched by scuba divers. Morgan did not know what year the vessel wrecked, he said. Latitude and longitude coordinates included on court records indicate the wreck is somewhere off Duck Key in Florida state waters.
“A portion of the wreck is currently protruding the sea floor in such a manner that it presents a hazard to navigation endangering the life and property of vessels navigating over the surface of the site,” court records state.
Legal records state that EPW Salvage, Inc. hopes to retain “the remains of the unidentified and wrecked vessel, her armament, apparel, tackle, furniture and cargo,” except for the state of Florida.
Should EPW Salvage make a substantial find, that location could prove to be a legal conundrum for the company. The state of Florida could fight the company for a percentage of the loot. Other government organizations such as the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary could argue salvage would disrupt the ecosystem and try to stop salvage operations.
But those two points remain speculative. Thus far, no other group or government has challenged EPW Salvage, Inc. on the wreck.
“Since the time of the discovery, the plaintiff has not disturbed the wreck site and shall not do so unless and until it receives license by the state,” according to court records.
EPW Salvage, Inc. also stated that it “will diligently seek state of Florida’s consent to salvage the vessel for the purpose of removing the said obstruction to navigation and relics in an archaeologically proper manner and to preserve the same accordingly.”
Meanwhile in a separate, unrelated case, U.S. Senior Judge James Lawrence King granted the rights in October to Kahar, LLC after the company told the court that no one else had come forward to lay claim to a mystery wreck of an unidentified vessel discovered in 2012 in international waters off Key West, according to court records.
A relic recovered from the ship indicates that the ship is “an ancient sailing vessel,” according to court documents.
Morgan is the attorney in that case as well. He reported no recent news on that wreck.
“The salvage continues,” Morgan said. "

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You been borrowing old newspapers from a neighbor again!!!!!!

OP
OP
ropesfish

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Nope. It's that darned Internet. It never forgets and for someone like me who spends too much time reading, it is like having the world's biggest research library in my house and it never closes. This causes an STD (Sleep Time Deficit), even in my 24th year online. I have to say that the WWW, 150 mps broadband and hyperlinks beats the heck out of dial-up bulletin boards, 2400 baud modems and ftp.

You been borrowing old newspapers from a neighbor again!!!!!!

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Ropefish, my understanding is that the State of FL, would not grant the middle Keys wreck a salvage contact.
As far as the deep water Kahar LLC Wreck. I found the wreck and am part of Kahar LLC.
We expect to be back out there salvaging this dive season. If I make it to the cookout ? We can discuss things in General Terms, unless you sign a NDA. THEN I CAN SHARE MORE.

Attachments

• Snapshot_7_12-18-2012_10-44_PM_.png
    Snapshot_7_12-18-2012_10-44_PM_.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 180
OP
OP
ropesfish

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ropefish, my understanding is that the State of FL, would not grant the middle Keys wreck a salvage contact.
As far as the deep water Kahar LLC Wreck. I found the wreck and am part of Kahar LLC.
We expect to be back out there salvaging this dive season. If I make it to the cookout ? We can discuss things in General Terms, unless you sign a NDA. THEN I CAN SHARE MORE.

Thank you, sir. I will look forward to having that discussion, Old One. Make sure you carry yo' sef down heah to set and visit!

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA

Last edited by a moderator:

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA
I'm curious about my post being deleted (and the admin not responding to my question about it in a PM), but I suppose it confirms we are talking about the same wreck....

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Barney did you dive it? How deep is it?

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
I'm curious about my post being deleted (and the admin not responding to my question about it in a PM), but I suppose it confirms we are talking about the same wreck....
Barney,
If you suspect that we are talking about the same wreck? Then wouldn't common sense tell you that you aren't allowed to dive on someone else's Admiralty Claim without permission? That it's illegal .

With all due respect. I am not trying to cause problems. Just stating my opinion.

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA
Barney,
If you suspect that we are talking about the same wreck? Then wouldn't common sense tell you that you aren't allowed to dive on someone else's Admiralty Claim without permission? That it's illegal .

With all due respect. I am not trying to cause problems. Just stating my opinion.

I was not sure, hence my original questions. There are quite a few wrecks in that general area as it was a dumping site. Further, it is not necessarily illegal to dive on someone's Admiralty claim. If you knew Admiralty Law you would know that.
I really don't want to cause a fuss...I was just curious since there has been so much "chatter" about a wreck in this area and I have been approached numerous times to dive a wreck (this wreck?) down there over the years. With that, I will slide out of this thread as I again don't want to ruffle any feathers. Good luck with your project.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread