shoal pond

Tazobx

Tenderfoot
Mar 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question for everyone. There is a small shoal island off the coast where I live. This island is at times underwater but most of the time it is dry. There is a pond that is always there, it never fills in with sand. The pond stays about 20 ft deep. The old fishermen say it has been like that forever. My point is what keeps it from filling in on a shifting shoal. A cannon was found on this island plus a Spanish gold coin was found on the beach close by. Would a covered shipwreck keep the pond from filling in. Thanks for your ideas.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It is more likely a man made or natural phenomena that keeps it from filling in! You might want to investigate to see which and I would take a metal detector along, if it is allowed. If the pond stays a pretty constant 20 feet deep, then there are probably crevices down inside that lead to the ocean and it is effected by the tides. Has anyone ever dived down deep in the pond with an underwater metal detector? If not, I think that I would try to see what might lie on the bottom, especially considering that a Spanish Gold coin and a cannon was found on the island.

Frank

OP
OP
T

Tazobx

Tenderfoot
Mar 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has never been dove according to everyone I can talk too. It would be hard to have crevices as this fine sand that moves.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It is more likely a man made or natural phenomena that keeps it from filling in! You might want to investigate to see which and I would take a metal detector along, if it is allowed. If the pond stays a pretty constant 20 feet deep, then there are probably crevices down inside that lead to the ocean and it is effected by the tides. Has anyone ever dived down deep in the pond with an underwater metal detector? If not, I think that I would try to see what might lie on the bottom, especially considering that a Spanish Gold coin and a cannon was found on the island.

Frank

Sounds like a tidal blue hole to me too Frank. Be careful with the tide, dive it just before slack low tide.

OP
OP
T

Tazobx

Tenderfoot
Mar 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may be right ,shoal has gotten larger, hole still in the place believe same depth. Talk to some fisherman that went on it two days ago. They check it for drum and use it to catch bait fish. They said the water is very blue and looks deep. The ocean all around it is green and cloudy. Also talked to a 92 year old Coastguardsman who was stationed here and grew up here. He said he knew of 5 cannons that have been found and recovered from that shoal. So the plot thickens. Thanks so much for everyone's ideas.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You may be right ,shoal has gotten larger, hole still in the place believe same depth. Talk to some fisherman that went on it two days ago. They check it for drum and use it to catch bait fish. They said the water is very blue and looks deep. The ocean all around it is green and cloudy. Also talked to a 92 year old Coastguardsman who was stationed here and grew up here. He said he knew of 5 cannons that have been found and recovered from that shoal. So the plot thickens. Thanks so much for everyone's ideas.

Throw a dive weight in on 300 ft of string. If it doesn't hit bottom, forget the cannons. If it does give me a call VLOL😊

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It sounds like you need to search the waters around the shoal and stay out of the tidal blue hole! If the information you have received is correct, then there are probably a lot more cannons and other goodies to be found exploring the waters around the shoal. I believe that SADS 669 will agree that if the pond on the shoal is a tidal blue hole, then there maybe other holes around the shoal connecting to it or others. Steer away from these and especially so during the changes of the tides as a person could be sucked into one or blown out violently from one. It might be a good idea to invest in some very strong rope that you can anchor securely and possibly have it on an automatic let-out and retrieve system. This might be over the top but it never hurts to err of the safety side because it might just save your life!

Frank

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It sounds like you need to search the waters around the shoal and stay out of the tidal blue hole! If the information you have received is correct, then there are probably a lot more cannons and other goodies to be found exploring the waters around the shoal. I believe that SADS 669 will agree that if the pond on the shoal is a tidal blue hole, then there maybe other holes around the shoal connecting to it or others. Steer away from these and especially so during the changes of the tides as a person could be sucked into one or blown out violently from one. It might be a good idea to invest in some very strong rope that you can anchor securely and possibly have it on an automatic let-out and retrieve system. This might be over the top but it never hurts to err of the safety side because it might just save your life!

Frank

Find someone you trust to be on the end of a rope and go have a looksee

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yeah, you can trust Kevin but he will probably want to trade places in less than a minute!

Frank

We have Deans blue hole just up the road here 636 ft deep, really cool to dive in it a look up to see the opening above you.

I would love to dive the bottom but the mixed gas regime for that is a nightmare and we are too far away from "the world" to bodge a project on a shoestring.

Bodge is British for " lash up"

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
We have a hole in a river near where I grew up that is supposedly bottomless and is called "The Sinks"! I do not know if it is true or not but they supposedly dropped 2 or 3 cars cabled together and end to end down the hole, then sent in two divers in deep diving suits down to find them. However, they never could find the cars. There is quite a bit of Gold in the river and I just wonder how much got sucked down the hole and wouldn't it be nice to be able to get it out!

Frank

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread