Shock Absorbers and other treasures.

Whitewings

Nov 23, 2005
As my best find so far is a shock absorber I should be the last to say this. But..... my wife in one of her humorus moods bought me a spiral notebook and told me I should record where I find my "treasures", I laughed but then after reading a lot of posts and how my new found hobby applies to history I decided she was right (as Usual). I hauled out my handheld GPS and replaced the batteries and decided that I would record the location where I find things. Obviously not 2 year old pennies but other things. This GPS is pretty acurate so if one of my MH friends wants to try the same site I can give him the co-ordinates.

As for treasures. When my son was little he was always finding "Treasures". He would look everywhere for treasures, even in the middle of a little league basebal game, much to the coaches disaproval. Once we walked out of a restraunt in seattle and my son reached down and picked something up, when I asked him what it was he said a treasure and showed me the $. gold piece he had just picked up.

Your treasures and my treasures are not necessarly the same but I am enjoying this sport and the people in it. Lets keep an eye on the politicos who thru legislation could bring an end to this hobby and lose one of the best way to preserve artifacts from our history.

Please comment (not on my spelling)

Upvote 0

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The finds will get better.? Once bitten by the bug, it's hard not to think about it all the time.? I get a kick finding clad, or anything else, for that matter.? When a real treasure comes along (gold, silver, relic, etc.) it's just that much better.? FMDAC and WWATS are the main detecting lobbyinsts for our hobby...we all need to support them any way we can and follow the detecting rules.? Most of the things we find would be rotted away to nothing by the time the archy's got around to them, if they ever did.? Governments have plundered entire countries...I know they are better about that now, but our finds pale in comparison to what they've acquired (and still have).

As far as logging your finds go...I would do it for anything considered old or a relic, but not for more modern items. Since most of my stuff is modern, I haven't really felt a need to document it.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Sounds like a good idea. It's interesting to looks back through them,,, gives ya something to do in the winter time...
I was keeping track of all my finds in a, "Word pad", document, had a years worth of finds listed in it, lacation, time, depth, ground conditions, etc... only probably I had was I forgot to back it all up on disk, so when my computer crashed, so did my log... :'( I keep track of it now days by putting them on my web site... ?;D, but I also back it all up to disk at least once a month...
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread