Short afternoon hunt...Colonial and Civil War and a lazy eagle!!!!!!!!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill and I got out yesterday afternoon for an afternoon hunt and brought along Joey and my father John.

We decided to revisit the peanut field that has treated us well recently and very well over the years. The day started a bit slow with a flat button and few odds and ends to show for the first hour. I went back to where Bill found his 2-piece civil war era marine button and recovered a flattened eagle button. Then I moved on only to come back again about 30 minutes later. This time I slowed down and as I did I spotted a very lazy eagle just laying on the ground. The rim of a 2-piece button was most certainly poking out of the soil. Once I recovered that I slowed down and began to recover other civil war related items (1862 Indian Head fatty, another eagle button, a cuff button back, etc.) In total I dug 4 (3 complete) civil war era buttons and all three had different backmarks (Waterbury, Steele & Johnson, & Extra Quality) always a nice touch.

This area of the farm has produced a few civil war related items including VMI's Block A, eagle buttons, marine, and my canteen spout (dug just last week). I suspect those buildings might have been used for troops at one point or by workers wearing war related materials.

Well onto the rest of the hunt, Roaming around looking for that colonial silver and leaving the civil war behind produced a few more flat buttons, including a rather nice false 2-piece button with a patriotic motif and a very crude and oldie (notice how the shank has been folded over?).

I managed some other odds and ends including another nice early buckle and a broken pewter/tombac shoe buckle with lettering along the rim (I believe I might actually have dug another piece of this one a few years back, will need to look). To smooth things out were some carved lead items...check out that octagon ha ha.

Overall I dug 10 buttons (including the button back) with almost half being civil war and the other colonial. The 1862 IH fatty, buckles and other odds and ends...it was an awesome day weather-wise and I can't wait for the next one.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    971 KB · Views: 109
  • 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    557.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    669.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    819.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    345.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    306.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    493.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 1i1.JPG
    1i1.JPG
    306.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    404.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 1k.JPG
    1k.JPG
    605.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 1l.JPG
    1l.JPG
    587.6 KB · Views: 86
Upvote 14

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well. you fellows certainly did a nice job of clearing out that peanut field.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt Dan! Cant go wrong with some eagle buttons. They look awesome.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Can't believe you were finding eagle buttons laying in the dirt in plain sight. I think you call that easy pickens :laughing7:. But with the nature of this field anything's possible. Too bad none of us could walk over a colonial coin, but everyone made a few nice finds and a good time was had by all on what turned out to be a gorgeous fall day. Lookin' forward to doing it again soon man.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a great day and some nice finds had. That button with the stars is really really nice looking

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd call that a good hunt with such nice buttons.

chrisdigs

Oct 1, 2015
Middle Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,Garrett AT Pro,Garrett At MAX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome hunt ,love those eagle buttons----did you find any peanuts lol[emoji3]

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great assortment of Civil War and colonial. The Stars button is intriguing as is the buckle piece with writing. Thanks for the invite, I had a great time and look forward to having you to one of my spots this year.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great assortment of Civil War and colonial. The Stars button is intriguing as is the buckle piece with writing. Thanks for the invite, I had a great time and look forward to having you to one of my spots this year.

Joey, you are welcome anytime man. Had a blast and glad you made a few saves!

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
On top of the ground. Yer killin' me, man.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
I like the variety Dan. Nice to find a mixed site with a little Civil War and early stuff as well. Hope the next hunt is as productive, good luck to you guys and hope to get together for a dig this spring.
-Evan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread