Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all. I got out yesterday with my Dad to do some relic hunting. He doesn't detect but likes Native American artifacts. He found 3 scrapers (should've taken a pic). The fields were recently plowed so I was hoping something would turn up. I've hit this spot hard. The gentleman who lived at the site (long gone) occupied it from 1778-1802 & then moved to Tenn (most all if the relics here date to that period). He was a captain of the militia during the Revolution (eventually promoted to major) & fought at the Battle of Camden. It was hot & the freshly plowed fields made for tough walking so we only stayed a few hours. I ended up with a pewter button with an unusual design, a couple of flat buttons & some other misc lead & pewter. I thought the leg off the cast iron kettle was neat & worthy of preserving. The long piece could've been a lead pencil, not sure. I'm also not sure if the brass bolt is colonial, any insight would be great. I've found over 30 buttons at this site, it's still not given up a coin! Hopefully one will show up on a future hunt (or a nice USA button!) Not much to see but it's history & it'll get added to the collection of artifacts I have from this site. It was really good to spend some time with my Dad doing what we are passionate about. Thanks for looking & HH!

Attachments

• image-482053883.jpg
    image-482053883.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 79
  • image-3629426966.jpg
    image-3629426966.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 100
  • image-4273459903.jpg
    image-4273459903.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 86
  • image-1691477528.jpg
    image-1691477528.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 90
  • image-1788160012.jpg
    image-1788160012.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 83
  • image-2124159616.jpg
    image-2124159616.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 79
Upvote 1

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice buttons and lead. With the amount of buttons you've pulled out there's bound to be a coin in there somewhere.

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple nice buttons there. Most of the sites I hunt are also low on the coin count but when I do find one its usually something good. They will come when ya put your coil over them. Best of luck.

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
magnum- you will hit a coin soon, are you on the Porcelian Ceramic Site- Glad both of you had Fun-goldnugget-see you at the next club meeting

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice going Josh. That's an interesting pewter button. Too bad they're so fragile and fall apart so easily. And I like that pot leg too. I've dug a number of large iron pot pieces this year which I posted recently. And I have another large leg piece very similar to yours in the electrolysis tank that's just about done. Are you going to clean yours? They make nice very display pieces.

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going Josh. That's an interesting pewter button. Too bad they're so fragile and fall apart so easily. And I like that pot leg too. I've dug a number of large iron pot pieces this year which I posted recently. And I have another large leg piece very similar to yours in the electrolysis tank that's just about done. Are you going to clean yours? They make nice very display pieces.
Yes, they are very fragile. I put them in a wet paper towel in the field to stop them from crumbling away. I used super glue to reinforce the edge, it seems to work well vs the Elmer's solution. I've still got to finish cleaning it. I do plan on cleaning the pot leg, I agree it would make a nice display piece. Thanks for the input.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, they are very fragile. I put them in a wet paper towel in the field to stop them from crumbling away. I used super glue to reinforce the edge, it seems to work well vs the Elmer's solution. I've still got to finish cleaning it. I do plan on cleaning the pot leg, I agree it would make a nice display piece. Thanks for the input.

Speaking of iron pot legs Josh, here's the one I mentioned that I just finished up. This is a fairly large piece and it cleaned up really nice. I dug a lot of nice iron artifacts this season so I think I'm going to dedicate a large section in one of my display cases just for that stuff. Please post your pot leg once you get it cleaned.

iron pot leg.JPG

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of iron pot legs Josh, here's the one I mentioned that I just finished up. This is a fairly large piece and it cleaned up really nice. I dug a lot of nice iron artifacts this season so I think I'm going to dedicate a large section in one of my display cases just for that stuff. Please post your pot leg once you get it cleaned.

View attachment 987219
That turned out great Bill. I'll probably use my apple cider vinegar method. I do want to try electrolysis soon though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread