Short crosses and buckles

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Well the hammered are coming up nicely now. Just had three more, all short cross type. The medieval buckles seem to be keeping pace also. Ones a large double loop the other a very small more ornate type. The full coin is of Henry 111 1216-47. Minted at Canterbury, by the moneyer Henri. Really like finding full short cross coins, they simply scream medieval history.

Robert.

Attachments

• IMG_6000.JPG
    IMG_6000.JPG
    614.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5997.JPG
    IMG_5997.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_5999.JPG
    IMG_5999.JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 76
Upvote 7

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that is a gorgeous coin. Congrats on that baby bud. There's just something about those old hammered coins that I can't get enough of.....seeing them that is lol

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Man that is a gorgeous coin. Congrats on that baby bud. There's just something about those old hammered coins that I can't get enough of.....seeing them that is lol
Cheers Ahab, yes they are very moorish:thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool, you know I like these, that would equal my best shortcross this year (in terms of condition). Never get bored of those!

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Very cool, you know I like these, that would equal my best shortcross this year (in terms of condition). Never get bored of those!

True Cru a short cross is always welcome. The style of the obverse legend looks a little different. Sent a pick to the BM.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a great short cross Rob, it's got a great detail. Your so right about them screaming history, the few that I've dug are very memorable. Are the other two cut, as the left one looks like it has a rougher edge, but still a half short cross is a great find.:occasion14:

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing coin! Congrats!

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My last trip accross the pond I got an extremely nice full Henry III, but it was a voided long cross.........still hoping for a nice short cross!
Congrat's on a beautiful hammered!

Iowa Dale

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hammy, what's with the obverse legend :icon_scratch: it looks jumbled or backwards.:dontknow:

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hammy, what's with the obverse legend :icon_scratch: it looks jumbled or backwards.:dontknow:

SS

I can see a shadowing of the right letters, but looks like its a slipped die on one edge (almost looks double struck.)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True Cru a short cross is always welcome. The style of the obverse legend looks a little different. Sent a pick to the BM.

I've tried for years to find an expert in medieval hammered coins. I want someone interested in new variants, like my shortcross spelling of Winchester. Have you found a good contact?

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just out of curiosity what is the approximate value of that coin Rob? I never sell anything but am just curious.

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
I've tried for years to find an expert in medieval hammered coins. I want someone interested in new variants, like my shortcross spelling of Winchester. Have you found a good contact?
PM'd is email Cru. Don't think it's miss-struck. Also on the reverse there's a big gap in the legend C ANT (CANT for Canterbury). Maybe the die was floored and re- cut at some time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread