short guy using the deus

joncooper1986

Jul 31, 2014
Westhampton, MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 4.0 9" coil, 11" coil, WS4 w/ Detecting Doodads headphones, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm pretty short. 5' 5" on a good day. I would say that when I use my detector the I only have the lower stem extended about 5-6 inches; nowhere near the index marks on the shaft. I'm fairy new to the machine and have noticed some erratic signals and I am just trying to narrow down the causes (most likely GB). Does anyone think having the lower shaft extended only this far would mean that the coil is too close to the control unit? Before you ask if I have tried removing the control unit and seeing if that helps, I have not because I just thought of that as I am typing this out:tongue3:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
If the controller is more than 2 Ft. away, then mostly likely it is not the culprit.

There is a metal pin in the cam lock... maybe, just maybe, if you got that close to the coil, it would cause an issue.

They say to pull stem out before hitting the "on" button for this reason.

Good luck!

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shoe eyelets, steel toes, sole hardware?
I'm just 5 9 but I hunt with it at the 4.5 measurement. At 5 5 you should easily be able to swing around 3 notch and be well clear of your shoes.

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even if the controller is close to the coil it will not make a difference because the coil normally responds to motion. If you tape a coin to the coil it will not give you a constant signal. If it did, the battery inside the coil would make itself sound off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread