Short Hunt Saturday 11-8-14.....LC and a couple buttons that WOULD HAVE been nice....

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saturday I talked myself out of staying home and watching my West Virginia Mountaineers take on the Texas Longhorns. Had a bad feeling about that game and I made the right decision going metal detecting for 2.5 hours Saturday afternoon. I went to one of my stand by spots where three mid-19[SUP]th[/SUP] century home sites sit close to one another in a cow pasture. The ground is infested with iron, coal and hot rocks, and the use layer is pretty deep in some areas. Even though I have hit this place hard for years, I can still pull stuff out, especially when the grass is low like it is this time of year. Saturday conditions were just right and I was digging targets constantly for two and half hours. I ended up with 12 buttons, a spoon, and a large cent. One of the buttons would have been a beautiful one piece gold gilted flower button, with an Ives, Scott & Co backmark (1834-1836). Unfortunately it had a massive encrustation on the face. I managed to remove most of it with navel jelly. I may keep trying, but what is left is really stubborn and I think I’m through the gilt in a couple places. Another button would have been a nice one piece eagle on the cannon artillery button, except that one third of the button was sheared away and the remaining part was pummeled almost beyond recognition. You can just see the eagle’s head and the wheel & spokes of the cannon. I have found three other eagle on the cannon buttons here, and they were nice, so I guess you can’t win them all. HH and thanks for looking

Attachments

• a.11-8-14 all.JPG
    a.11-8-14 all.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 85
  • b.LC dirt.jpg
    b.LC dirt.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 75
  • c.LC front.JPG
    c.LC front.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 87
  • d.LC back.JPG
    d.LC back.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 81
  • e.Flower Button.JPG
    e.Flower Button.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 85
  • f.Flower back.JPG
    f.Flower back.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 87
  • g.Artillery.JPG
    g.Artillery.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 90
Upvote 7

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You usually win MOST of them Steve. Another great hunt Bud. Cold weather coming your way. Get those great coins & relics while you can. Our high here NE of Nashville will be in the upper 30s on Friday. HH, Q.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You usually win MOST of them Steve. Another great hunt Bud. Cold weather coming your way. Get those great coins & relics while you can. Our high here NE of Nashville will be in the upper 30s on Friday. HH, Q.
Haha you're not kidding Quindy! it's absolutely beautiful today. Just got back from a walk on my lunch hour, but couldn't help thinking about how nice it would be to be out digging today considering what's coming.....Brrrr (Grrr)!!

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking LC! And nice button to dig no matter the condition! HH!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice to have a site that keeps on giving after many years.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice hunt Steve. Looks like that was a little change of pace from your usual 18th century stuff, but its all fun to find.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Steve. Nice variety. We can't control the condition but we can continue putting ourselves in the right spots. You seem to have that part down

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs, I got a spot on a cornfield that I've been hammering for 2 years and still pulling stuff out, today I drove by to see beautiful 10' tall corn stalks STILL UP wth, cut the darn corn already lol

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt Steve. Looks like that was a little change of pace from your usual 18th century stuff, but its all fun to find.
Thanks Bill, My motto is Civil War and earlier. The colonial spots aren't so plentiful in Western PA, so I take what I can get :laughing7:

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Steve. Nice variety. We can't control the condition but we can continue putting ourselves in the right spots. You seem to have that part down
Some of these items were obviously in the wrong place for a long time (ie. next to a piece of iron or in some corrosive soil). This place has given up numerous large cents and Indian Heads, even a half cent and a two center. Silver just doesn't appear at all. I keep thinking there has to be a half dime or three cent piece there.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great bunch of buttons, Steve, and I have certainly dug LC's in much worse shape!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions