Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wife was going into Sebring to get her nails done, so I figured that I would hit a small lake not far from where she was going, rather than sit at home or worse yet, sit there whilst she had her nails done..
Started at the boat launch, and hadnt gone ten feet when I hit a broken, but very nice sounding low tone... Had that "ping" to it that I like to hear, but again, the signal was very broken and only came through in one direction.. Started digging, and after two scoops, I was in the hard black goo.. The signal was now loud and sounded really good in all directions.. 2 more scoops, and after a few minutes shaking the scoop like a wildman to get the gunk to break up, saw that beautiful gleam in the corner of my scoop.. SCORE! I thought, but then thought "man, that is really dark yellow, man I hope it isnt a brass pressure fitting".... Cleaned the gunk off of it, and although terribly far sighted, I could see what looked like a hallmark stamp on it...
Back to searching.. This place has obviously been hit hard by the Sebring boys, cause even the garbage was far and few between... Did manage a few pennies, and one dime in the water.. Then switched my hunting to the dry sand... Started picking up a lot more coins, quarter here, dime there, etc... Did hit one pocket spill of $.88 in one spot. Then, I got the nice, but to "pingy" sound of a pop tab, but also an intermittent low tone that was broken up... First scoop and sure enough, a pop tab.. Swept the hole again, and then the signal was clear, loud, and LOW!!.. Ring number two.. Looks like an old ring. Really ornately carved/cast.. Hunted for another 30 minutes and hit a bit more clad, but nothing else good..
Got home and was so happy to see the first ring marked 18K!!! Second ring has no stamp anywhere I can find, but tested 12k with an acid test.. After cleaning it up a bit, it is a really nice ring, and I wonder if it is retro, or was a grandmas ring or something.. Looks very worn thin along the bottom of the ring. Maybe the stamp wore off?? I guess it could have been made by someone in a jewelry class too.. Very nice though..

So, I was really glad that I decided to go along, and especially that I picked that lake.. I almost had her take me to another one, since this little lake has never produced anything but clad in the past... It finally produced!!

HH all!

Attachments

• 10-16=10 rings.jpg
    10-16=10 rings.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 711
  • 10-16-10 rings e.jpg
    10-16-10 rings e.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 701
  • 10-16-10 rings d.jpg
    10-16-10 rings d.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 707
  • 10-16-10 rings c.jpg
    10-16-10 rings c.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 704
  • 10-16-10 rings b.jpg
    10-16-10 rings b.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 707
Upvote 0

KEYSHUNTER

Sep 29, 2007
florida keys
Detector(s) used
;whites dual PI
very nice,sounds like you had the excal..funny thing i was thinking about this boat ramp i have been looking at..

D

digum smacks

very nice :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:.i couldnt post mine. my so broke all 3 cameras,trying to get them fixed.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Living so close to the beach, it never occurred to me to search lakes.

Now the missus has two new rings to put on her recently manicured fingers. :D

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL!
She is actually pushing me to send them in.... Not a "biling" lady.... A couple she really likes, but she even wants me to sell the blue bomber.. It looks so good on her finger, and is the nicest ring she has ever had... BUT... when you have bills like we do (medical insurance is killing us), gotta do what ya gotta do...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love to hear stories like that and having done a few boat ramps I know all the junk you find. Nobody seems to think of searching them even thought there is water and rings involved. Sometimes difficult to search beyond the ones that are cememt because the props dig a hole. But stuff rolls off the cement an also collects in the joints. Detectors don't work well on the cement ramps but digging in the gaps will.

Liked the part about "Bills to Pay." and having to get nails done....................... :icon_scratch:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman said:
Love to hear stories like that and having done a few boat ramps I know all the junk you find. Nobody seems to think of searching them even thought there is water and rings involved. Sometimes difficult to search beyond the ones that are cememt because the props dig a hole. But stuff rolls off the cement an also collects in the joints. Detectors don't work well on the cement ramps but digging in the gaps will.

Liked the part about "Bills to Pay." and having to get nails done....................... :icon_scratch:

Sandman,

A nuclear bomb could go off and my wife would search the ruins trying to find a nail salon that was still open. :laughing9:

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
I got her a gift certificate for Christmas.... One of the best gifts I got her (according to her)... Besides that, she wouldnt get them done, and didnt for about a year before I got her the certificate... Thats actually why I got it for her...

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Great Finds!
The 18 k Hallmark looks old.
I dug an 18k white gold 'promise ring' (two hearts)
No diamonds in mine.
Keep em Comin! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could hardly see them, but each heart has a small diamond in it... Tested them yesterday, and they are diamonds... I really want to find out more about this ring, I really think it is old..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread