short

Johnny5

Feb 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelabs CTX 3030, Excalibur and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week i had a roll that was short. Someone put a quarter instead of a half and foreign coin worthless, but the good news is a 2 dollar Canadian dollar. all in the same roll. I can't quite figure out how the quarter got there from a machine rolled wrapper the other two were the same size of the halves. Oh well i ate the loss.
This week I was short a whole roll, it was taped. on the outside of the box. I called the bank and they're going to give me 10 dollars when i make my next pick up. She's also contacting Bunbar and look into the issue.I also noted that two rolls were short 1 halve dollar each. You can tell as the wrapper looked like someone opened it and tried to reseal it. I usually don't count rolls but will start as I don't want the dump banks think I'm shorting them. Should I just accept the loss as doing business?

Any thoughts from the pros out there?

Upvote 0

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yea, I'd start counting it every time now. Good luck.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Eat the loss. It is the cost of engaging in this hobby. You start complaining about the cost of 1 coin short rolls and a busted box, they can simply say, "Sorry. By the way, new policy, no more ordering of coin. Have a nice day." Then you can try and find another bank that will order you boxes with no fees.

If you get a busted box, open it at the bank and verify the roll count. If you get a short roll, don't complain.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Another helpful hint is that some boxes have a code number stamped on it, it's the final inspectors number that checked the box contents. If you ever get one of these numbered boxes just let the bank have the number on the box, then let the bank deal with the coin processor.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Many years ago I got quite a few boxes that were short coins. The rolls were short 3-4-5 coins, one $500 box was short $23 dollars. I let the branch manager know and was told he had no way to complain to the shipping company? He would trust me to the amount short and give me the money. Then I started opening them right at the counter to verify the rolls "looked" full. Found a few short again. He took me to his office with the boxes and magically found a phone number and called someone and read the code off the box to that person. Strange, no more short boxes or rolls. Every so often now, a roll will over or short 1 coin, but the box seems to end up with the correct dollar total when I check each roll.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A dollar here or there is just the tax for participating in the hobby.

I had a box that was missing rolls once, I'm talking at least $50 worth. I told the bank to try and resolve it (and being clear I was blaming the processor and not the bank itself), and guess what, cut off and no more pickups.

Check the box when you get it, refuse a few rolls if you need to, but if it's not a significant amount of money, you're risking the hobby for pennies.

TheWalrus

Oct 7, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happens, I had large pennies in CWR that I picked up last week, Loomis has been good, but Brinks boxes are often short/foreign inclusive. Finding there are a ton of coin hunters in the area, far more than I thought, and the tellers/banks are not so thrilled about the constant order/dump so it really is best to not make waves over a few coins here and there. Entire rolls however are why I open sealed boxes before leaving counter.

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eat the loss. It is the cost of engaging in this hobby. You start complaining about the cost of 1 coin short rolls and a busted box, they can simply say, "Sorry. By the way, new policy, no more ordering of coin. Have a nice day." Then you can try and find another bank that will order you boxes with no fees.

If you get a busted box, open it at the bank and verify the roll count. If you get a short roll, don't complain.

This.

Fastest way to get cut off. In other words, fly under the radar, make no waves.

And that.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does any body ever complain to the bank when they get those old and dirty Standing Liberty or Franklin coins. You should demand they be replaced with shiny new JFK's.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My dump bank never even checks my boxes when I turn them in. They credit my account and throw the box in with the other worthless clad behind the counter. They dont even open anything or count at all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread