Shot Gun Alley - Day 5+6 The Trackway Site - Day 5+6 - TREASURE x2 + HAMMERED + SCEAT

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These last 2 days we have smashed it.
Here's a short break-down of the 2 outings:

Yesterday we did 5.5 hours hunting on 2 sites but we now park further away from The Track-way Site, so that we can pass through The Hill Site on the way there & on the way back.
3 hours were spent in the morning getting 8 scrappies from Shot Gun Alley but not much else.
After lunch Cru'dad got a rare Saxon Sceat circa 715AD.:headbang: I had one earlier this year & this now evens the score. We were hoping (but you can never expect) for one of these from this site, but including the grids we did earlier this year, it's taken us over 8 acres of gridding to get it.
Plus 1 scrappy.

Today (5 hrs total) my plan was to finish off the small area left on Shot Gun Alley in 2 hours & then do a big wander back to the car. As we were crossing the road to start our journey to the site, a man cycling with his dog wished us ''Good Luck''. Out of ear shot Cru'dad stated to me ''we don't need it''. Well of course, all my best finds were skillfully found OTWBTTC.:laughing7: We had only found 3 scrappies in just over 2 hours & so we started the big looping trip back to the car. In my head I had no intentions of crossing the ditch into the far neighbouring field but that's where I skillfully wandered over the Tudor (probably Elizabethan) Silver & Gold Plated Dress Pin. It was sitting on the surface! Gridded that area, nothing else but a buckle. My next find on the journey was a hammered & then a Roman Fibula also sitting on top.
After Lunch we crossed 'The Hill Site' & I got 1 scrappy & Cru'dad got a Holed Roman Silver Ant. on the Track-way Site. (Treasure) I think he felt left out because only recently I had my first Holed Roman Silver Siliqua but his is much earlier (circa 260AD), so a little surprising as a Saxon piece of jewelry.
We had never had 2 Treasure items in 1 day before, so that goes in the record books!

Other finds over the 2 days were:

Broken 18th C Military Button (unknown)
RARE Tombac Button with a Bird (Pheasant I think)(type I need)
Hunts Button (Fox head)
Medieval Buckles
Bit of a Bronze Age Socketted Axe
17th C Token
2 Lead Tokens
Rose Farthing
French Jetton

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 67
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    191.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 97
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Upvote 35

rebbel31

Aug 1, 2014
Bavaria, Germany
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Xp deus, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man that coin and dress pin are both probably banner worthy. Nice finds sir. Awesome.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man that coin and dress pin are both probably banner worthy. Nice finds sir. Awesome.
Thanks it feels like a banner day today!

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree. That Pin clearly deserves a place on top. Congrats go to Crudad as well for the beautiful Sceat! Banner day for sure! Hope your pubs are open so you can have a pint or two today!:occasion14:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree. That Pin clearly deserves a place on top. Congrats go to Crudad as well for the beautiful Sceat! Banner day for sure! Hope your pubs are open so you can have a pint or two today!:occasion14:
They are but I went out last night, so I wont be out tonight.:occasion14:
The way I found it was just crazy. That field we had tried in 2014 & the only recorded item was a Horse Pendant, nothing else. So no idea why I bolted over to it.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are but I went out last night, so I wont be out tonight.:occasion14:
The way I found it was just crazy. That field we had tried in 2014 & the only recorded item was a Horse Pendant, nothing else. So no idea why I bolted over to it.

That proves again that treasure comes in the most unexpected places. And, of course, you always have to follow your sense..... :thumbsup:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a different note, I just heard from the mate that just started detecting & brought a XP Deus (Light) & got his son an AT Pro that they got their first permission.
I sent him a geo pin for google earth in his local area & he sent me the following:
''I spoke to the landowner tonight about permissions. Without any hesitation or prompting he suggested i try the exact same spot you highlighted to me. He thinks its a Saxon burial ground but isnt sure, he added it may be Roman.''

He got full permission for all his land and wasn't interested in a 50/50 split of valuable treasure finds, but my mate insisted. My coaching is working out. Getting a yes on your first ask is a great result.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That proves again that treasure comes in the most unexpected places. And, of course, you always have to follow your sense..... :thumbsup:
I do follow my senses when they kick in, but recently I've been doing well by using a random method/game. I look ahead of me & the first item that catches my eye I head towards. It could be a white stone, big stalks, bits of plastic bag, just whatever catches my eye, then when I reach it I change direction to the next eye catcher. Odd but its working well for me.
I found the pin heading towards a bit of white plastic on the edge of the field.

Last edited:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a different note, I just heard from the mate that just started detecting & brought a XP Deus (Light) & got his son an AT Pro that they got their first permission.
I sent him a geo pin for google earth in his local area & he sent me the following:
''I spoke to the landowner tonight about permissions. Without any hesitation or prompting he suggested i try the exact same spot you highlighted to me. He thinks its a Saxon burial ground but isnt sure, he added it may be Roman.''

He got full permission for all his land and wasn't interested in a 50/50 split of valuable treasure finds, but my mate insisted. My coaching is working out. Getting a yes on your first ask is a great result.

I wish we had the same here. Talking with the landowners, negotiate a split and have written permission. Most farmers here still don't care what happens on their land. As long as nobody rolls their crops most dont ask what happens on the fields. At least the farmers i have permission from are educated and don't let others on their fields. Still no help with the nighthawks...

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish we had the same here. Talking with the landowners, negotiate a split and have written permission. Most farmers here still don't care what happens on their land. As long as nobody rolls their crops most dont ask what happens on the fields. At least the farmers i have permission from are educated and don't let others on their fields. Still no help with the nighthawks...
He still needs to ask a farmer family member but he's worried they will say no because nighthawks have pi**ed them off. I said, do what we do, become their solution by clearing the fields during the day & leaving nothing for them to come back to.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He still needs to ask a farmer family member but he's worried they will say no because nighthawks have pi**ed them off. I said, do what we do, become their solution by clearing the fields during the day & leaving nothing for them to come back to.

Thats the best argument you can deliver to a sceptic farmer i can imagine.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Amazing! Absolutely amazing! I would also like to see them make the banner. Huge congratulations!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow. awesome finds. love the pin, and the sceat looks like it was lost just as soon as it was made

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That dress pin is pretty sweet. Lots of other goodies y'all found too. :thumbsup:

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Fantastic silver! I like the way you talk about the ancient relics and coins so casually! What we in the western U.S. Wouldn't give to have finds like those. Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks it feels like a banner day today!

Hi .So when did the banner rules change so you can use another person's find ? You making the rules T

Last edited:

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Remarkable finds once again! Love the dress pin.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow. awesome finds. love the pin, and the sceat looks like it was lost just as soon as it was made
Funny you should say that.
Here's the leading experts view;
''Thanks for these images of your father's find, which I have recorded. This is indeed Series D (Type 2c), and a fine example of the type.''

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions