Shotgun and Holster

ConnerBates123

Aug 4, 2015
AL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Other
Today has had way too many storms locally for me to metal detect (I attempted to, but it was not worth it for the rusty nails and cans I kept finding) so I decided to explore some buildings on my grandfather's property to see what I could find. I found various items (Including a large Coca-Cola sign, a smaller Jumbo Cola sign, both of which have sat in the building for at least 40 years) but what really caught my eye was a shotgun I found sitting in the corner of the building behind tons of boxes. Patent date on the shotgun says 1913, but I suspect it was produced sometimes in the 1920s. I also found a pistol holster, but for what type of pistol I am not sure. I included some pictures of the components on the holster, I hope some of you can tell me from around what time period it comes from, as no one, not even my grandfather, knows where the holster came from. I feel as if, even though I did not get any big finds metal detecting, it would seem I still found items to make me happy with the day! (As a note, on the holster, I cleaned it, and the strap went down to the brown leather, it is not added to the holster)
20150806_133923.jpg 20150806_134021.jpg 20150806_134130.jpg 20150806_134149.jpg 20150806_134158.jpg 20150806_133916.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 8

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What did you G'father say about the shotgun? Besides being a break action, single shot, it looks like from the 40's or 50's. But, that could just be rust. Is there any markings on the barrel?
The holster is for a revolver, not a pistol.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you mean that it is for a revolver not an automatic. Both are pistols.

Mike

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The shotgun could be by any of who knows how many makers... Pretty much everyone made that style. Are there any other markings other than the patent date on it either on the receiver or barrel? I suspect based on the trigger guard and the location of the screws that it's a Stevens "Old Timer". It could also be a "Hardware Store Gun" made by Stevens but marked differently and sold through Sears or some other store under their name. It's a shame the fore stock is gone, but they are out there if you want to replace it. If you can find a serial number we might be able to date it. Here's one to compare it to.... Stevens Single Shot Shotgun 16 Gauge Old Timer, C&R OKAY LK For Sale at GunAuction.com - 10148124

Last edited:

Pedersen

Apr 12, 2015
Woodbridge, VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be a risky gun to own if the barrel is less than 16" or "sawed off" that would make it a class 3 weapon of when choosing requires paper work and would get you into a world of hurt if authorities ever ran across it. Hopefully it's longer than 16" and congrats and a super duper find!!!!!

OP
OP
C

ConnerBates123

Aug 4, 2015
AL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you have any clues or how I could discover around the age of the holster? Noone is sure where it came from

OP
OP
C

ConnerBates123

Aug 4, 2015
AL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Other
I did find a marking on the shotgun, you are correct NOLA_Ken, it does appear to have the markings for a Stevens Single Shot Shotgun. I can't seem to read a serial number anywhere on the shotgun due to a light surface rust that has appeared on the shotgun over the years. I do believe it came from somewhere between 1913-1930s just because the owner lived from around 1860 until sometimes in the mid 1930s.

OP
OP
C

ConnerBates123

Aug 4, 2015
AL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol Pedersen I forgot I did not post a picture of the entire shotgun. It appears to have its full length, although it will take some work to get it back into an operable condition (considering the barrel falls of when I open it as if loading it). It has a light surface rust on it, shouldn't be too hard of a fix. Trying to think of a display I could put together with it.

OP
OP
C

ConnerBates123

Aug 4, 2015
AL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Other
About the age of the holster....only found one marking, an anchor stamped onto the back of the buckle on the front of the holster

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
About the age of the holster....only found one marking, an anchor stamped onto the back of the buckle on the front of the holster

nice holster, what did you use to clean strap
see if your buckle is here, does the anchor look the same

http://bucklesinternational.com/docs/BucklesCatalogWeb.pdf
Buckles International, Inc. - Buy Buckles, Snaps, Hooks, Metal Fasteners, Dee Rings and more.
anchor
http://nbindustrial.org/wp-content/gallery/north-judd/nj-logo.jpg
history
North & Judd | New Britain Industrial Museum

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Holster appears to be 1880-1900 and has been repaired. Very popular design, made to carry colts and other 6 shooters. 4 3/4 to 5 1/2 inch barrel length Single Action Army Colt. Can't tell if it could handle 7" or not. Still popular today and is made by many people. SASS folks will pay top dollar, but repair affects value. Had a couple in the past along with several Colt's. Gone now...

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd like to see the coca cola sign! That could be the real treasure? Was it tin or porcelain by chance?

OP
OP
C

ConnerBates123

Aug 4, 2015
AL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Other

I wiped it off with a wet rag all over to get some of the dirt and dust off of it, the black came right of the leather on the strap. Sure wish it hadnt. The anchor looks about the same.

OP
OP
C

ConnerBates123

Aug 4, 2015
AL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Other
Holster appears to be 1880-1900 and has been repaired. Very popular design, made to carry colts and other 6 shooters. 4 3/4 to 5 1/2 inch barrel length Single Action Army Colt. Can't tell if it could handle 7" or not. Still popular today and is made by many people. SASS folks will pay top dollar, but repair affects value. Had a couple in the past along with several Colt's. Gone now...

Thank you for giving a time period, I was wondering that for figuring out what display I may make out of it. I don't have a Western display, so, hey, might be my next project!

OP
OP
C

ConnerBates123

Aug 4, 2015
AL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd like to see the coca cola sign! That could be the real treasure? Was it tin or porcelain by chance?

I believe both signs I found (Coke and Jumbo Cola) were both porcelain. If you want I will take a pic of them next chance I get and let you have a look at them....im thinking about using them in a display for old General Stores with some old food cans on a shelf and these signs hanging above that

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
delete wrong quote

maybe put some saddle soap on that strap

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congrats on the guns! Way cool!!!

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NORMAN WHERE DID YOU FIND THE GUN ? NO MOTHER IT BELONGED TO GRANDFATHER AND I WILL NOT PUT IT BACK . DAMN COOL FIND ALONG WITH THE HOLSTER .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread