should i ask?

coinlover

Oct 21, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
hi everyone! i was just wondering something. we are all going out tonight to the bowling alley and was wondering if small companies like that have coins. i was thinking of either asking for 10 rolls of pennies or nickels, haven't decided yet. do you think it would be worthwhile to ask a business like that, or do they need them for business. i haven't even coin roll hunted yet and if i do this this will be my first time. thats all i needed to know. i didn't know if small businesses like sold coins to people or not. all they have is a quarter machine for when you want to play in the arcade. it was broke once and i went up to the desk and asked for $5 in quarters. thats the only time i have bought coins like that. i was just wondering if they would sell me like $5 in pennies or something like that.

Upvote 0

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want them....I would just ask....all they can say in "no" right??? Good luck.

OP
OP
coinlover

coinlover

Oct 21, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
thanks for replying. what should i get? pennies or nickels? how many rolls do you think? i don't want them to get me too many because they would tell me no i'm sure if i asked for too many! :)

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well....ask them for what they can spare & not put them in a bind.....kill em with kindness..... ;)

OP
OP
coinlover

coinlover

Oct 21, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
you mean like ask how many rolls of pennies do you have to sell? something like that? i need to know, im leaving at 7.

OP
OP
coinlover

coinlover

Oct 21, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
thanks. i think i will ask four 2 rolls of nickels and 2 rolls of pennies. they should sell me just 4 rolls of coins hopefully. i hope i'll find something worth while. 2 rolls of pennies and nickels is $5, so all i have to do is simply hand them a $5 bill after asking. i have it all planned out! :D i will post my finds (if any) tomorrow afternoon or later tonight. this is my first time coin roll hunting!

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just ask them if they have any rolls of coins to spare....in pennies or nickels or whichever you interested in. I wouldn't think a bowling alley has many rolls but you never know.

If they don't go to most any bank tomorrow and they should be able to assist you. I wish you all the luck.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coinlover said:
thanks. i think i will ask four 2 rolls of nickels and 2 rolls of pennies. they should sell me just 4 rolls of coins hopefully. i hope i'll find something worth while. 2 rolls of pennies and nickels is $5, so all i have to do is simply hand them a $5 bill after asking. i have it all planned out! :D i will post my finds (if any) tomorrow afternoon or later tonight. this is my first time coin roll hunting!

For sure lets us know how you do and like I said....good luck.

desecrator

Jul 7, 2006
Jamestown, NY
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Well, as a person who works at a small business (pizza shop), we have change strictly to make change. If someone were to ask me for rolls, I'd probably say no, simply because its not our business to supply change. Plus, I'm sure a bowling alley wouldn't have too much, and if you bought it, they'd just have to send an employee to the bank to get more... and that's the point, their rolled change just came from a local bank anyway, so why bother the bowling people. Just go to the bank. Now, the only possible exception is if they have coin operated machines and they have an excess of quarters. You might be able to talk them into letting you look through those, but I doubt policy would allow it. All of their penny, dime and nickel rolls just come from banks. So, in effect, you're not finding a "new" source, you're just using the alley as a delivery agent for bank change.

OP
OP
coinlover

coinlover

Oct 21, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
yep, i didn't ask the bowling alley i just bought $11 in quarters from their machine. didn't get any silver but got a 1965, 1967, and a 1972. i'll keep these until i find another in better condition. well, after we got done bowling, we stopped at a gas station and i bought some candy and brought it up to the register and said do you have any extra rolls of nickels? he said no, we don't do that anymore. o well, at least i tried. that would be the only place i could get coins because i go to school during the day and don't get to buy coins from there. i'll keep trying, the worst that could happen is them saying no. i can't wait till i get older! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions