Should I bother keeping...

stonehenge

Aug 27, 2010
Check for errors. Don't just dump em if you can help it. Save until you get a roll and you can sell quantity at a small premium.

I find that some of the clerks, especially the African American females, at local gas stations and convenience stores, just eat them up and save every one they see - clad or not. You know those aren't saving any for you, so you might as well make them happy an it might get you a silver quarter or old bill someday in return.

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's going well, the economy is really improving. I'm better off financially now then I was before the crisis.

I made a lot of money off the crisis actually

I guess I meant more specifically, how's your faith in The United States Government lately? Seems to be more fighting than doing. Makes me wonder if all of this would be going on if the election went a different way. They would probably still just find something else to bicker about.

Jan 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I meant more specifically, how's your faith in The United States Government lately? Seems to be more fighting than doing. Makes me wonder if all of this would be going on if the election went a different way. They would probably still just find something else to bicker about.
Oh I'm sorry, I thought you meant economically. The dollar is not going anywhere, our central bank will assure its value and worth I can assure you that.

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything that you keep is a liability because it reduces your bankroll. In the time it takes to try and make a hard sell, you could be searching more halves. Plus, you aren't earning any interest to offset inflation. I would just dump the '74s since they aren't worth keeping.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Everything that you keep is a liability because it reduces your bankroll. In the time it takes to try and make a hard sell, you could be searching more halves. Plus, you aren't earning any interest to offset inflation. I would just dump the '74s since they aren't worth keeping.

Bear in mind that different people work with different bankrolls, which may not be the limiting factor. With respect to not using it to make interest to offset inflation, please show me where I can (safely) invest money where I can earn enough to offset inflation right now. I'll be the first in line!

stonehenge

Aug 27, 2010

Unless you turn every cull into cash, you are always reducing your bankroll and every coin in your collection would do the same.

The simple answer is if you can keep them for a short time and see a profit in selling in bulk (which you can for a very small gain) or excite/interest clerks by spending them (which you will do with most people), then hang on to them for a while.

If you don't want to wait and just want to search, dump or spend em now.

Or, if you just like em, keep em until you grow tired of looking at them.

I sold about $300 in halves to coin club buddies for a 10% profit after a year of collecting them.

Was it worth it in my pocket? No way.

Did it make my friends happy? Yes it did.

fixxxer9

Jan 8, 2013
SLC, UT
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm new to hunting but I would keep them. I keep all good looking coins before the 1980's. It has nothing to do with increased value because I have no idea which coins are worth more except for some of the key dates. I would keep them just because they look good. I don't hunt on a large scale though. Mostly cents and nickels.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you this about the halves you are asking about. My LCS will not buy any halves after 70. The only exceptions are really big errors and if they happen to be in a mint set that they are looking for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread