Should I Buy gold Please Help

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
If you know you are going to need the money in 6 months or some other definite time period then no, you should not buy any investment whether it be gold or stocks, and should instead utilize a bank CD or cash in the bank.

There is no way to know where the PM prices will be in 6 months. It is a gamble like any other investment, even though many here like me believe PMs will be up in the future, that might not happen for over a year, or next week, etc.

I look at PMs as insurance as much as an investment.

Just my opinion.

Jim

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
do a BUNCH of silver, just hit an all time low for the past 3 months, gonna be up to $40 here soon. BUY IT WHILE YOU CAN AT $30

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
I agree with Brendan. I've collected silver (Coins & Bullion) since 1981......(30 yrs for those who are mathematically challenged.)

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
brendan1414 said:
do a BUNCH of silver, just hit an all time low for the past 3 months, gonna be up to $40 here soon. BUY IT WHILE YOU CAN AT $30

I disagree with this for the reasons I stated in another thread. I'm not saying that you couldn't make money in the short or long term with silver. But I think silver is on the way down for the next two years at least. I also think gold could continue to go down over the next year.

I'm also not sure where you get this "all time low" business. What good is an "all time low" that only applies to a very short time period like the "last three months"? Doesn't "all time" mean "through all of time"? If you expand your time frame to be one year then silver is still above the low for that period. Three months? One year? Who's to say which is the correct period to look at?

Also, I would not buy physical metal for a short, 6 month turn around. If you are really looking at that short of a timeframe, buy a Gold or Silver ETF. They can be bought and sold with virtually no premium. Trying to find a buyer in six months for your gold can be more hassle than it's worth. If you are looking for longer term, then I definitely would suggest buying real metal. I think everyone should own a little physical silver and gold.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As usual, agree with Jim.... I didn't buy my silver cache to make big money, but rather to have a relatively safe investment long term... I am just slightly up at this point. But unlike many things we invest in, PM's have never been zero return, let alone complete loss. Can anyone say that about all stocks? I wouldn't put all my $$ in PM's, but that is where I want my "emergency" fund... Just wish I had started about a decade ago..

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Surfer said:
As usual, agree with Jim.... I didn't buy my silver cache to make big money, but rather to have a relatively safe investment long term... I am just slightly up at this point. But unlike many things we invest in, PM's have never been zero return, let alone complete loss. Can anyone say that about all stocks? I wouldn't put all my $$ in PM's, but that is where I want my "emergency" fund... Just wish I had started about a decade ago..

Depending on when you bought, silver could easily have given you a negative return. There are people who bought during the Hunt's brothers fiasco back in the 1980's who have seen negative returns for 30 years. If you bought back in the early 90's you saw the price languish for 10 years with a zero or even sometimes negative return. And there could also be people who bought during the recent run up to $50 that may see negative returns for many years as well.

Then again, the price could jump to $100 an ounce next year and those negative returns could all turn positive in the blink of the eye. That's the nature of PM investing.

Full disclosure: I am bullish long term on silver and gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread