Should I buy this used DFX?

TejasDigger

Sep 5, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
I know someone who owns a pawn shop and has a DFX that looks like it's never been used. It's the DFX spectrum e-series. He said he will give it to me for less than $500, but he didn't give me an exact figure. I own a Ace 250 and have been happy with it, but wouldn't mind better depth. Is this going to give me more depth and is it worth the price? I'm guessing he'll want $400-450 for it.

OP
OP
TejasDigger

TejasDigger

Sep 5, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Rando said:
TejasDigger said:
I know someone who owns a pawn shop and has a DFX that looks like it's never been used. It's the DFX spectrum e-series. He said he will give it to me for less than $500, but he didn't give me an exact figure. I own a Ace 250 and have been happy with it, but wouldn't mind better depth. Is this going to give me more depth and is it worth the price? I'm guessing he'll want $400-450 for it.
If it works, and has the battery, charger, etc...yes.
Jump on it for that price.
If you don't somebody else will just buy it to resell it for 600.00 which you could get for it.

I know it works, but am not sure about the charger.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the detector works you can always get the charger and battery pack from Whites. It will give you more depth, but more importantly it will provide you with more fun being able to hunt anywhere but dive with it.

OP
OP
TejasDigger

TejasDigger

Sep 5, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Just bought it today for $450! It looks brand new and has the charger and instruction book with it. The tag on it was for $625 and he hadn't put it out in the pawn shop yet.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rando said:
Sandman said:
If the detector works you can always get the charger and battery pack from Whites. It will give you more depth,

Ok, THAT I did NOT know...
is this a feature common to many detectors, and how much?

I knew that depth was SOMEWHAT relative to battery voltage, but is it a very noticeable increase?
No, you took my reply out of context. The DFX will give you more depth than the ACE 250 that he owns already. Detectors circuits are designed to operate within a certain range of voltage. Adding more will not increase depth unless you can also tweak the circuits. Doing so can make the detectors unstable. If a manufacturer could make a break through in the depth dept without increasing the coil size, don't you think they would wanna be the first out there with a detector that can respond to a dime at 8 feet.

OP
OP
TejasDigger

TejasDigger

Sep 5, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Well, I bought it for $450. I took it to my parents house (which I've been over a thousand times with the Ace 250) and on my first signal I dug a toddlers sterling silver ring. On my second signal it was about 7" down and with my first coin with the DFX I found a 1931D Mercury dime. I've found other silver coins with the Ace 250 but for some reason was unable to find any at my parents house. Here are the pics:

S7300049.jpg

S7300050.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread