Should I clean the dirty ones?

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
40%ers are only worth scrap value so it shouldn't hurt the value really. But personally, I wouldn't clean /any/ coin unless I literally dug it out of the ground.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if they're just junk silver it doesn't matter to the refiners but if you don't like all that crud go ahead and clean them!

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
If you insist upon cleaning your silver coins then I must insist upon you using baking soda and water. It works the best for me and me coin dealer occasionally uses this method.

OP
OP
Novapax

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks. With the baking soda/aluminum foil method, all you do is put the coin on the foil, add baking soda then pour hot water over it. Give it a few minutes and then rinse. No rubbing needed.

I did it with no ill effects. I would never do it to a 90%er unless it was found in the ground like someone else said.

Thanks again. Getting my first 2 boxes of halves Wednesday. Wish me luck!

Novapax

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generic_Lad said:
40%ers are only worth scrap value so it shouldn't hurt the value really. But personally, I wouldn't clean /any/ coin unless I literally dug it out of the ground.
The 1970 D is the key coin of the Kennedy series and has a pretty good premium. I wouldn't clean one of those if I found one. Just sayin'.

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
I just love how the silver coins look when cleaned. They do shine up very nicely. I don't have any rare or important silvers in my collection so I'm thinking about cleaning them. They are worth more in silver anyway. I'll probably not clean all my Walkers however since they look really nice with black tarnish outlining the obverse and reverse.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
They minted millions. Clean away. I have used a jewelers's dip, I save baking soda for the dug ones, as it's abrasive.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread