Should I deal with the rest of these?

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
So had the opportunity to grab some Ike dollars. My teller at my pickup bank said a guy brought in $630 worth. But I searched 2 rolls. Alot of 71-78, quite a few bicentennial 76s. But nothing good as I was told that only 71-74 with an S mintmark is 40% silver. Should I bother going to pick up more? I figure I should as the teller was nice enough to let me know they got those in.

Maybe someone can shed more light on what is worth keeping? I know that it would probably be worth it as the guy could have missed a good one. Or maybe I just got 2 bad rolls?

Upvote 0

sshafer11

Jul 29, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From my understanding the clad Ike dollars are largely useless in terms of collectible value. Some people have said that coin dealers will pay a little bit over face value for them, and of course there is ebay too. Honestly though if it was me, I probably wouldn't bother. Assuming there is no silver (which there probably isn't) it would be a lot of hassle for a relatively small profit.

With that said though, if you have the bankroll to search, and the means to dump them easily.. You could buy them up just to make sure there are no true silver dollars in the bunch.

OP
OP
M

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
sshafer11 said:
From my understanding the clad Ike dollars are largely useless in terms of collectible value. Some people have said that coin dealers will pay a little bit over face value for them, and of course there is ebay too. Honestly though if it was me, I probably wouldn't bother. Assuming there is no silver (which there probably isn't) it would be a lot of hassle for a relatively small profit.

With that said though, if you have the bankroll to search, and the means to dump them easily.. You could buy them up just to make sure there are no true silver dollars in the bunch.

I will likely just search them a few at a time. I doubt there are many other people around wanting them so they should all still be there next bank trip. It is too bad there is no good coins out of those unless I find the S mintmark I suppose.

Th3Offspring

Aug 29, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sshafer11 said:
it would be a lot of hassle for a relatively small profit.

You can readily get $1.30 per clad ike dollar sometimes more in larger quantities. If it took you a year to sell all 630 ike dollars for a return of $819 or a 30% return on your investment that is both better than money in the bank and in the stock market. A 30% return of investment in a years time or likely less is a crazy thing to turn down in this economy. I would jump on that if i were you and you could afford it. It could maybe take you up to 4 months to move all $630 ikes but most likely less than that if you use both craigslist and eBay or even coin dealers. Thats my rant for the day lol.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
that reminds me I got a roll of Ikes from a bank a couple of weeks ago that had another $200 or so in rolls that I am still considering going back for. They are all probably just clad Ikes like the roll I bought but I won't know for sure untill I search them. And maybe I could try selling them on Craigslist again for a small profit if they are in decent condition. I've tried that before in the past but didn't have any luck.

There are also some different varieties or types to watch for like the '76 T1 and the '72 T2 I believe and of course the S silvers like you mentioned. And the '73's are NIFC's which I sometimes forget about and are probably worth at least 2 to 3 x face in circulated condition (and even more in AU+ condition) but I don't think I've ever found any of those CRHing.

Good luck to us both and HH

OP
OP
M

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
I'll just go back for the fact I want to search something. She told me they were all Ikes, but who knows if the guy told her or if she looked in a couple rolls. I guess ya never know what could be mixed in. The good thing is that I don't think anyone else will be going into ask for them, so I'll pick up some every chance I get.

The local coin shop is only buying pre 64 silver and they told me I could take them to the bank or use them in a store. So no interest there. I may try posting on Craigslist just to see if I get any bites.

Realistically how much can I ask for them? Probably only face if they are just clad. Or could I find someone who will pay a bit more. I'd like to profit if I can, if not I'll just dump them at the bank.

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
mws_1984 said:
I'll just go back for the fact I want to search something. She told me they were all Ikes, but who knows if the guy told her or if she looked in a couple rolls. I guess ya never know what could be mixed in. The good thing is that I don't think anyone else will be going into ask for them, so I'll pick up some every chance I get.

The local coin shop is only buying pre 64 silver and they told me I could take them to the bank or use them in a store. So no interest there. I may try posting on Craigslist just to see if I get any bites.

Realistically how much can I ask for them? Probably only face if they are just clad. Or could I find someone who will pay a bit more. I'd like to profit if I can, if not I'll just dump them at the bank.

I would ask somewhere around 1.10-1.25 each.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I think I'd buy them all. Who knows...there might be 6 solid rolls of Morgans and peace dollars lurking in that pile.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree, buy all you can! For example, I have a teller that collects Ikes, so I give her all the ones that I run across, she knows that they aren't worth more than face, but she more or less keeps them as savings. She said that she managed to get a few that she hadn't purchased quite yet, I asked to see them to see if she had any interesting ones in there, sure enough she had 1 proof (don't remember the year) and 1 40% silver one (again, don't remember the year), and this was just within $30 worth.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got two silver Ike's from teller trays. I'd search them and then sell the clad for whatever I can get.

Steelers0626

Oct 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would buy them all, and hope for some morgans or peace dollars, but even if you don't get any of these, I am sure the guy could have missed a silver ike in all of those. You can also sell them for some profit, even if it is only a $100 profit for all of them, that is still money in your pocket.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread