Should I detect this area?

Rawkfist

Greenie
Dec 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live near an old trail that runs through the woods. The trail is on the map as far back as 1931 probably older but havent looked at any other site other than Historicalaerials. I know that part of the trail bypasses an old Native American site right near a small walking bridge that runs over a small creek. This is in the middle of the woods. The site was investigated by some archeologist from a near by college I believe. Pottery and flint knives and things were found at the site. Not sure what else since I dont know if there is some sort of report on it. In any event, the trial is old, not sure how old but old. My question is should i do the trail and concentrate on the bridge area? Start at the bridge and work from there? Should I do the creek a bit? I imagine that the trail was used by Native Americans years ago and then later by hunters, travelers etc. I think the stream provided clean water so maybe people dropped things in the stream as the bent down to get water etc. Thoughts please?
Thanks in advance.

I imagine I'll find buckshot but...

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure. Detect everywhere.

Are you looking for anything specific? Coins or relics?

If your coil & shaft are waterproof it may pay to search on either side of the bridge in the water out for 10 or 15 feet to either side of the span if it's not too deep. Things fall or get tossed off bridges.

There are trails all over the hill behind my house and I have found some interesting things. I go there when the fields are so grown up I can't swing the detector. Usually nice and cool.

The local Onondaga, Oneida (Iroquois), Mohawk & Delaware Nations were long into trade items with Colonists in this region and I keep my hopes up that someday I might come across a piece of trade silver. But as a group they were not metallic relic producers. Perhaps around a larger settlement?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello,

Welcome to the forum!

If the archeologists have completed their work and you have permission by the owner to search, I say go and enjoy the hunt!

Regards,

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
paths of travel,any type can be productive.choke areas like the bridge will naturall concentrate drops.people huck all kinds of things off bridges for all kinds of reasons...hunt the water and both sides.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I firmly disagree.
Stay off said site. Just cause archeologists have disregarded site doesn't mean it's not sacred to Native Americans. Now or 150yrs ago.
Peace ✌

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For years, woods were always my favorite "go to" place to detect.

I always seemed to have had the best luck in old-growth areas that were close to creeks & streams. These areas always produced
recoveries from turn-of-the-century picnic outings & campers. As Charlie P & Bigfoot1 mentioned, choke areas along the creek & trail
are always a must and should not be overlooked.

If you come across areas along the creek that are very shallow, these areas might likely have been used for crossings before the footbridge you mentioned was built.
These types of areas are usually older and are excellent for relics and hopefully, old coin drops. If the water's 12" deep or less, you might be able to swing your coil
close to the bank of the creek. . . just don't slip or drop the control box of your detector in the water.

Good luck!

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the Native Americans initiated site, why should "WE"? Disturb site further...
Peace ✌

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the Native Americans initiated site, why should "WE"? Disturb site further...
Peace ✌

Nothing in OP says that it is a sacred site...don't overthink it..... I say hunt, just do so with ethical practices.

FragFox

Dec 21, 2014
Eastern Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster, Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The archeologist being involved could be a bad sign.
5d4c716b2ac82045396441ef138e83d0.jpg

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
You very well might find some trade silver. Dont know what trade silver is but I would like to find some. Good luck

sent from a sending device.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sil.jpg

horn.jpg

Trade silver was given as gifts or in trade for pelts. Who says we stole the country?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:thumbsup:

I'm still using what the folks here like to find! We call it "Experimental Archaeology" on the Muzzleloadingforum.com

HPIM2767.jpg

An original J.W. Hawksley flask I use for bunny hunting (spring is a replacement).
HPIM0782.jpg

DSCN0156.jpg

HPIM0440.jpg

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charlie... are you into trade items ?
you would REALLY like my trade collection :)

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those silver trade pieces aren't mine - just an image (The last group of accoutrements is me/mine).

But if you'd like to show I'll look!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
best areas are near water sources typically --water was vital --any fording spot or old bridge area is good to look at - typical villages were on high spots on a river (to avoid flooding when it rained) with a nearby a flat field area (to grow crops) along side of a creek for water . be forewarned --ANY BURIAL SITES ARE STRICTLY OFF LIMITS , NOT JUST BY LAW --BUT HUMAN DECENCY --THE CURSES PLACED UPON THOSE WHO DEFILE THE INDAIN BURIAL SITES ARE NOT A JOKE...NEVER EVER DISTURB ONE KNOWINGLY

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not have a lot of "trade" items...
But the few items I have I am very fortunate to own.
And I have one extremely rare axe in museum quality condition...
Actually I take that back...
Its better than what museums have. heh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread