blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD2, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett AT PRO,
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking to upgrade my metal detector and I wanted to know if the Garrett at pro is a good choice. Does anyone know how good the depth is on these things. I recently watched a video on YouTube that a guy could not hit a half dollar at 8" .

And can anyone tell me if it has any pros. And cons. I just want to make a good purchase and not be disappointed with my purchase.

Upvote 0

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw some videos on youtube of a bigfoot. Seriously there are videos showing that almost ever detector is the best there is and just as many showing the same detectors are the worst there is. I've watched friends dig pennies 8 inches or a little deeper, so it should hit a half just fine.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
blong10
Watch more video`s the machine will get better depth than that ! ....might be freshly buried coin,they don`t read right till they are in the ground for a while.
Gary

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He said he left it in the ground for 3 months. He is in Oregon and I don't know if the soil is good over there. Also what would the depth be on say like a dime or a penny that the at pro could pick it up.

Last edited:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He said he left it in the ground for 3 months. He is in Oregon and I don't know if the soil is good over there. Also what would the depth be on say like a dime or a penny that the at pro could pick it up.
You should be able to see coins to 8 inches in decent soil, but it depends on skill level along with the detectors ability.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
You will never be truly happy with your detector.

You will always want one just a little better.

You will forever be longing for the new detector that just came out.

- it's a curse. Nothing you can do about it.

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So are there any pros and cons of this metal detector. And I was wondering if you turn the setting up to get rid of junk iron like 35 out of the possible 40 will you lose depth or not.

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ATP is a great detector. First signal I dug was a 1932 Wheatie at 8 inches. And also a tip for more depth, auto grand balance it, then manually drop the gb number 5-15 points. This will give you anywhere from 0-2 inches more depth. Hope this helps. And if you pm me, I'll tell you where to buy one pretty cheap.

Sent from my expensive phone I really don't need

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So are there any pros and cons of this metal detector. And I was wondering if you turn the setting up to get rid of junk iron like 35 out of the possible 40 will you lose depth or not.

You will not lose much depth with the disc set on the ATP

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug an old key today with one at 8 or 9 inches. Really faint signal but I knew there was metal there. I guess the depth thing kind of drives me nuts, how deep do people really want to dig? Guess if I had a nice tract of private land in a field or something I wouldn't mind because I could use a shovel but when digging in a park with my Lesche those deep holes end up getting pretty narrow at the bottom and it gets hard to recover your target without making a mess. Just me though, I know there is good stuff deep.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy an ace 350 there cheaper

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As far as pro's and con's I have some pro's but not enough experience to know what the con's may be. Some pro's are it is very easy to use even for a beginner, it's waterproof which can be beneficial not to mention you can clean it with a hose when you're done, it is light especially with the 5x8 coil, it really shines coin shooting, it has great iron discrimination eliminating potential trash, it detects iron well if need be for relic hunting etc, it's depth is good, it has fast target ID and good target separation, the battery life is outstanding. It has done everything I had hoped it would do very well. I hunted a farm field a couple weeks ago and decided to clear out some large metal trash objects to get at other goodies the iron may have been shielding and that thing will pick up a little piece of crap scrap metal the size of your pinky nail. I need to go back when time allows and clear more trash out. One other good thing is that it is a very popular detector so there is a ton of "how to" info and tips on using it all over the net. Guess I have nothing bad to say about it.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
About a million of us like them and another million hate them. Its like a Ford vs Chevy thing. If your still digging bottle caps, with Iron Audio, that's on the operator, not the machine Some people wont be happy, no matter what machine they have

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buy an ace 350 there cheaper

I have been on here for a year, and every post of yours is bashing Garrett.................why would you recommend one to anyone? smh

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT Pro can be a good detector if you get one of the later ones. Some of the early ones were very chatty and it took 3 of them before I got one that operates as claimed. Trouble is some dealers still have the early ones in stock and you could get one of those. Suggest you order from Bart of Big Boys Hobbies as he'll test it.:thumbsup:
http://www.bigboyshobbies.net/

Last edited:

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just recently added the AT GOLD to my arsenal and so far I am highly impressed with it. You did not mention what type of machine you currently have. If you have one of the lower end machines like the Ace 250 or a Bounty Hunter then yes you are by far upgrading to a better machine. All of my friends that have the AT PRO love it. As with any machine you have to spend hours on it to truly master it. So I say yes get the PRO and learn it very well.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been on here for a year, and every post of yours is bashing Garrett.................why would you recommend one to anyone? smh

No ...ive been on here 2 years ;-) ...anyhow i still have 2 garretts and have plenty of hours on them and yes i do point out there faults ....and im trying to save the guy some money if he wants the at pro for coin shooting he might as well get the ace350 ....i havent found anything with the pro that i couldnt have with the 350

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ATP is a great detector as long as you stay out of the wet (salt) sands. I use it at the beach all of the time and get excellent depth. Pulled a small silver charm out of 15in of sand just a few days ago. I turn the sensitivity all of the way up and let it do it's thing. It's a really good detector and I have no complaints. I've hunted the same beach with my Excal and have not found that I've miss many things...a few crusty coins the the Excal is better at picking up.

If you get into detecting....you'll own more than 1 machine like so many others here.

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking to buy one from big bart but someone told me to try jeff at quality metal detector first and he gave me the price of cheap shipped sounds like a really good deal just don't know if it is a older machine.

Last edited:

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My new Tejon goes deep! But, my digging tool is too short and I need to call PUD before digging! Bought on EBay, like new from member Devilpookie for $429....dual discriminator is awesome... Hope you will be as happy with your new detector as I am...:metaldetector:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread