Should I get this?

doodman

Greenie
May 12, 2007
this forum rocks!

I've decided I want a metal detector. I used a crappy fisher from work (aparently very expensive but only finds iron??) and I'm hooked. I put an add on craigslist and here is a reply I got.

"I have a Whites Classic II that has been modified to a Classic III with extra depth. It has adjustable ground balance, threshold, volume, discrimination, sensitivity etc.. It also has a newer XLT coil on it for the extra depth. If you are interested I can sell it for $150"

Does this sound like a good deal? I'm interested in something that can find coins, knives, artifacts and gold. Is this asking too much? What do I look at when in person? I'm thinking bringing a gold ring (One Ring to Rule Them All! lol) and a couple of pennies, coins and test it out. Thanks in advance!

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would ask who did the modification. If Bill Crabtree, go ahead and get it. The Classics were very good machines and the mods made them even better.
Drawbacks, well there's two. Its not going to be great on wet sand. It will work but won't match a Pulse or multifrequency machine. Plus, its got good depth but your not going to match the Explorer or Nautilus.
The lack of a meter is a good thing in your case. Meters are probability devices and are more likely to make you miss gold coins.

When you see the machine watch out for drift and try gently tapping the coil. It should not bang off with a gentle tap.
A general look at the whole condition of the detector will indicate if its been looked after or just chucked in the trunk of the car at the end of a days detecting. If its tatty but works well they are a tough detector so don't let that put you off but use as a basis for getting a discount.

Brian

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
I'm not so sure XLT and Classic coils are compatible. I'd want to find out about that. From someone else other than the person selling it.
My advise would be to save up some more money and buy a new Prizm III. They are going for about $300.00, I think. A new detector that comes with a warranty and that you know is working properly will be much more enjoyable.
Remember the old adage, you get what you pay for.
Good luck and happy hunting.

OP
OP
D

doodman

Greenie
May 12, 2007
Thanks alot folks! I might check it out but maybe I'll get something new, later on when i have the cash.

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
The Classic two came with a 8" coil and the Classic III with a 9.5". It shouldn't have an XLT coil on it although they are all 6.59 Khz. At 150.00 it sounds like a deal but then again this detector was modified and you had better make sure it is in perfect working order.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not recomemd buying any used detector from anyone that isn't a dealer or a good friend. It the detector is so good, why not keep it as a back-up, or save it for a relative.

For just a little more you can get a brand new Garrett ACE 250. Many love them while the Classic II is old electronics and coils. Check out Tony. http://www.tcmetaldetectors.com/ Tony post here often and has fair prices.

HH,
Sandman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread