Should I go with a Silver Umax???

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
MetalDetector27

MetalDetector27

Jan 29, 2012
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ds6191

Dec 29, 2007
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a silver and it is a great detector.I gave it to my brother. He kinda adopted it for his own (long good story) and found literally thousands of coins with it.We put the 10-12 coil on it and it goes pretty deep as well.Although the bigger coil is not needed it did help in the depth dept.Fun fun machine to swing,and it will find silver and gold. Look at my avatar,my brother found 2 of those.The only thing I wish it had was manual ground balance,in some spots (actually very few) the silver became to chatty. Just my 2 cents on a great machine. Dan

OP
OP
MetalDetector27

MetalDetector27

Jan 29, 2012
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ds6191 said:
I had a silver and it is a great detector.I gave it to my brother. He kinda adopted it for his own (long good story) and found literally thousands of coins with it.We put the 10-12 coil on it and it goes pretty deep as well.Although the bigger coil is not needed it did help in the depth dept.Fun fun machine to swing,and it will find silver and gold. Look at my avatar,my brother found 2 of those.The only thing I wish it had was manual ground balance,in some spots (actually very few) the silver became to chatty. Just my 2 cents on a great machine. Dan

Dan,

nothing but positive feedback so far with this machine. I am impressed. I am going to order it tomorrow. How should I set it up for the first time? I will be hunting an old farmhouse.

ds6191

Dec 29, 2007
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well old farm homes can get pretty junky. You could start at a higher disc. and cherry pick and see how that goes (the b of tab) But if it's a place that you can come back to a lot and don't mind digging junk I would disc at the o in foil and dig it all.That will get you most gold and a little deeper because of less disc.
My brother and I would start at high disc to begin with and keep dialing down. If we were overwhelmed with targets we would just stay high on the disc.... The big question is what kind of a hunter are you going to be and are you ok with digging the junk. Our method probably cost us some good finds but there are days we just didn't want to dig the junk that goes with finding gold. I believe my brother was set to just left of nickel for the two gold coins. And of coarse after those came out of the ground he disc. lower and dug everything. He's waiting for the spring to finish that yard. Hope this helps a little.There are many better hunters with better advice here than me. Hopefully they will chime in.I think you picked a great machine. Dan

OP
OP
MetalDetector27

MetalDetector27

Jan 29, 2012
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ds6191 said:
Well old farm homes can get pretty junky. You could start at a higher disc. and cherry pick and see how that goes (the b of tab) But if it's a place that you can come back to a lot and don't mind digging junk I would disc at the o in foil and dig it all.That will get you most gold and a little deeper because of less disc.
My brother and I would start at high disc to begin with and keep dialing down. If we were overwhelmed with targets we would just stay high on the disc.... The big question is what kind of a hunter are you going to be and are you ok with digging the junk. Our method probably cost us some good finds but there are days

we just didn't want to dig the junk that goes with finding gold. I believe my brother was set to just left of nickel for the two gold coins. And of coarse after those came out of the ground he disc. lower and dug everything. He's waiting for the spring to finish that yard. Hope this helps a little.There are many better hunters with better advice here than me. Hopefully they will chime in.I think you picked a great machine. Dan

Thanks Dan :icon_thumright:

I am going to dig everything! I know I say it now and will regret it later, but I can and will not pass anything up....not with this old of a site. Would it be ok to set it to all metal?

ds6191

Dec 29, 2007
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You bet, If it gets to be to much, Than disc. just above iron. The only way to get it all is to dig it all. :icon_thumright: Dan

cokat7

Sep 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Only been doing this 2 years so far, started the first year with the silver. And I can only confirm it is a great machine. Very under rated, don't hear much about it anymore. I also got the 10x12 coil for it and it was a great addition, little or no loss of sensitivity, gained an inch or 2 in depth and Great ground coverage. It was worth every penny for me, had hundereds of hours of fun with it, still going strong, I just borrow it out mostly now, (bought another tesoro). About the digging in all-metal, You should know it has a ed180 discrimination pot, which means if you put it in all-metal - it is in 'all-metal'. You will dig more than you bargained for. Happy hunting.

OP
OP
MetalDetector27

MetalDetector27

Jan 29, 2012
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Started off in all metal then switched to discriminate at foil because there were just too many nails, iron, etc. for only a few hours of dig time. So, I ended up with a button, the top portion of a pewter or silver bell, and alot of nails! I will post the pics of the button and bell in the days to come. The button does have writing on it. What I can make out is express across the bottom and it looks like USA across the middle and something across the top which I cannot make out.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cokat7 said:
Only been doing this 2 years so far, started the first year with the silver. And I can only confirm it is a great machine. Very under rated, don't hear much about it anymore. I also got the 10x12 coil for it and it was a great addition, little or no loss of sensitivity, gained an inch or 2 in depth and Great ground coverage. It was worth every penny for me, had hundereds of hours of fun with it, still going strong, I just borrow it out mostly now, (bought another tesoro). About the digging in all-metal, You should know it has a ed180 discrimination pot, which means if you put it in all-metal - it is in 'all-metal'. You will dig more than you bargained for. Happy hunting.

Cokat, I think you may be mistaken there. I believe the Silver has an ed120 discrimination pot. I know the Compadre, strangely enough, has ed180, but I do not think the Silver does.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

cokat7

Sep 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Smudge said:
cokat7 said:

Cokat, I think you may be mistaken there. I believe the Silver has an ed120 discrimination pot. I know the Compadre, strangely enough, has ed180, but I do not think the Silver does.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I believe you are right, a short google search and I stand corrected. It is a ed120 disc pot.
The reason I thought this was because of tiny iron bits of wire I dug up in AM mode.
:)

ds6191

Dec 29, 2007
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MetalDetector27 said:
Started off in all metal then switched to discriminate at foil because there were just too many nails, iron, etc. for only a few hours of dig time. So, I ended up with a button, the top portion of a pewter or silver bell, and alot of nails! I will post the pics of the button and bell in the days to come. The button does have writing on it. What I can make out is express across the bottom and it looks like USA across the middle and something across the top which I cannot make out.
Keep us up to date. I thought all metal might be to much, just remember you can always dial down.Keep your spirits up, That first old coin you dig will make it all worth while. And just remember we love pictures around here. :icon_thumright: Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions