Should the State "Preserve" Shipwrecks for future study?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: Should the State "Preserve" Shipwrecks for future study?

The state has already done that. The Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary is one of them. Problem is that they have no plans on studying the wrecks now or anytime in the future. Treasure hunters found wrecks at Amelia Island. Now its the Amelia Aquatic Preserve and thunters are forbidden. Tell the state you found a wreck somewhere and they will make the area a aquatic preserve.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon

Look at what they have done at Lake Champlain. I dove with Arthur Cohn, the director, in the Azores and, before our campaign was over, he had me head over wheels about their program.

http://www.lcmm.org/

OP
OP
itmaiden

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005

Yes, I am aware. I suppose we should consider it a future underwater "bank account" ?

itmaiden

Salvor6 said:
The state has already done that. The Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary is one of them. Problem is that they have no plans on studying the wrecks now or anytime in the future. Treasure hunters found wrecks at Amelia Island. Now its the Amelia Aquatic Preserve and thunters are forbidden. Tell the state you found a wreck somewhere and they will make the area a aquatic preserve.

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

I disagree,
1. the marine environment can destroy artifacts
2. you really can't see too much when it is buried under water that is dirty,under mud,sand,coral, etc.
3. if the wreck is considered historical, the state or fed should have an option of working with the salvor but nothing more.
4. I like what barry clifford has done with the whydah so far and mel fisher too with the atocha. I learned alot from them and burt kilbride too.
5. storms,shifting sands,ice breakup,divers,kids,anchors,fishing equipment all can destroy or shift pieces of wreckage, why wait until it is gone ? as joni mitchell said, "don't it always seem to go you don't know what you got till it's gone"

OP
OP
itmaiden

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005

Artifacts and archaeological data are altered or destroyed with time and human activity, as well as the environmental factors. Most state "protected areas" are associated with Treasure Ships. I was reading that on the East coast of the US from Cape Hatteras (spelling?) down to the Keys there are an estimated 20,000-30,000 wrecks.

itmaiden

wwwtimmcp said:
I disagree,
1. the marine environment can destroy artifacts
2. you really can't see too much when it is buried under water that is dirty,under mud,sand,coral, etc.
3. if the wreck is considered historical, the state or fed should have an option of working with the salvor but nothing more.
4. I like what barry clifford has done with the whydah so far and mel fisher too with the atocha. I learned alot from them and burt kilbride too.
5. storms,shifting sands,ice breakup,divers,kids,anchors,fishing equipment all can destroy or shift pieces of wreckage, why wait until it is gone ? as joni mitchell said, "don't it always seem to go you don't know what you got till it's gone"

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

The state forgot to tell one person about the protection plan..Mother Nature. Unlike the great lakes, Floridas wrecks constantly undergo the ravages of storms, saltwater, critters. Good idea, but poorly thought out. Why am I NOT surprised???

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think maybe the true question should be, "Why do WE as citizens and tax payers allow the State governments (and Federal government) to put these no metal detecting laws into effect and make restricted areas out of every piece of land and body of water containing historical resources that they will never recover and preserve for us to see and experience? If we don't agree with them, we need to come together and at least make it known that we the people don't agree with their "tactics" and if they don't change their ways, they will no longer have their jobs and our support. Just a thought...

I am sure I will get "slammed" for this comment, but it's true. On a broader scale, I hear so many citizens complaining on a day to day basis in this country about what "the government does", yet we (whom THEY are supposed to be working for") don't work TOGETHER to make THEM change. We have gotten into this mind set of powerlessness... not good.

It was such a pleasure to attend that meeting in Ponte Vedra, Florida last year to meet with the State Historical reps in reference to the proposed rule changes that Tallahassee wanted to enact pertaining to treasure hunting and our historical resources here in Florida... there was a "show of force" and "the people" were heard... I definately think some changes were made for the better and the ruling was overall "corrected" (at least for the time being). But the point was that we took steps to show up, to voice our opinions, to "demand" change, and it worked well.

I don't have all the answers on how to handle the worlds problems, but I feel that if I am in disagreement with the "powers that be", it is my right and my duty to take steps to make my voice heard. I agree with everyone about how screwed up the government "land/water grabs" and the treasure hunting restrictions are... what can we do to come together and effect change?

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS

I have heard Dr. Judy Bense, (former head of the Marine Archaeology Institute at U.W.F.) quoted as saying that she would rather take the chance of letting shipwrecks rot and the relics be lost forever, than relinquish recovery and preservation to private entities (treasure hunters). You might also remember her as the former chair of the Florida Historical Commission.

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

billinstuart, the great lakes have huge storms. the shallow water wrecks are ground to pieces, this is where the term "board pile comes from". ice breakup in the spring can carry wrecks and pieces hundreds of miles or destroy them on site.

phipsfolly, according to our local archaeologist the new shipwreck law is going to be repealed, it does not have the support. go figure since we were not allowed to vote on it.

I still say there is a way to work together and both sides will be happy, you just have to want to. I report to the state of ohio's archaeologist and I think we get along just fine. if the law was repealed today I still would report to him if for no other reason than to get his opinion. we both love history, I think that is the key. I plan on writing a book about all of this, and I am looking forward to another great year.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This country is headed for a total economy crash.I dont think you have to worry about any state making any more preserves as they are all about out of money.After the revolution im sure things here will be much better.

OP
OP
itmaiden

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005

Revolution ? Too much population will be "killed off", made diseased, or kept ignorant. Remember, people believe what they hear in the news and as long as they are pacified by shows like Lou Dobbs, Glen Beck etc where their anger is appeased by feeling someone "understands", or of the belief still that "others" and government are going to police government then nothing will come to protect American rights.

The powers that be know how to manipulate every area of society. I believe in bible prophecy that there will be a one world government, and a one world economic system. That is why I am all for everyone finding as much treasure as possible as soon as possible, and not spending it on "stupid things" but providing for their future survival. I am very disturbed by satellite photos that show every house that exists, even 360 degree photos ! Talking about a lack of privacy ! Keep your boats in good shape. may need them for something other than treasure.

itmaiden

FISHEYE said:
This country is headed for a total economy crash.I dont think you have to worry about any state making any more preserves as they are all about out of money.After the revolution im sure things here will be much better.

Sapper23

Aug 22, 2007
FL
Detector(s) used
Explor II, seamk

I wonder when the State of Florida Historical Resources, Had a chance to get FL. out of a red with the State budget.. When, All they had to do is issue out more: Permits to Recover lost treasure and Recover True Florida history!!!!
The Shipwreck's just off east coast would get FL. out of the red with the budget. " Common Sense " would say: Issueing more permit's would Boost the local, and state economy, create jobs, and save history, AND maybe Both sides can work together!!
But the word: " Common Sense " is not in the Division of Historical Resources minds right now.

OP
OP
itmaiden

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005

Florida in the red ? Nah. Florida keeps opening their mouth to the Feds for more money, while the money they have slides into pockets unaccounted for.

Florida probably doesn't want to use their untapped resources. As long as they can get Fed money, then they can "save their own" for a rainy day. Either that or Historical Resources believe they are balancing and managing resources for the good.

Sapper23 said:
I wonder when the State of Florida Historical Resources, Had a chance to get FL. out of a red with the State budget.. When, All they had to do is issue out more: Permits to Recover lost treasure and Recover True Florida history!!!!
The Shipwreck's just off east coast would get FL. out of the red with the budget. " Common Sense " would say: Issueing more permit's would Boost the local, and state economy, create jobs, and save history, AND maybe Both sides can work together!!
But the word: " Common Sense " is not in the Division of Historical Resources minds right now.

4theMoney

Nov 1, 2008

Right now NOAA is trying to grab public opinion and expand the Monitor Marine Sanctuary into one of the largest on the East coast. From what I understand, it is to preserve wrecks mostly from WW2. I'm not exactly sure what there is to preserve. Go figure,,,,,The govt is broke as hell and they are still trying to spend our money.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NOAA doesnt want any of those vw bugs size groupers to end up on someones dinner plate.

architecad

Nov 25, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX-II, GTI 2500, Sea hunter, Eagle Eye two box

Tell the state you found a wreck somewhere and they will make the area a aquatic preserve.

don't worry, Obama is working with that issue, just wait :headbang:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

architecad said:
Tell the state you found a wreck somewhere and they will make the area a aquatic preserve.

don't worry, Obama is working with that issue, just wait :headbang:

Obma doesn't care - this sort of thinking gets you nowhere.

I don't think that the state should set up a "protection area" under a misnomer for the purpose of "protecting" shipwrecks for future study.

I was at the Danish museum at Roskilde many years ago to see the gorgeous reconstructions of three Viking ships excavated in the harbor.

Think of all the kids that have passed through the doors since then to see them, and exactly how would that have been good if they hadn't been excavated until, say 2210?

We all have an interest in seeing history as best we can, and the simple fact of the matter is much of the information is lost over time, for lots of reasons.

We have an old army installation near here that hasn't done anything since the 1970s except drag their feet in 'cleanup'. It is interesting to study the 'institutional' mindset of the salaried bureaucrats behind a federal fence.

They are exempt from local everything, and the contempt they hold the very taxpayers that pay their paychecks in is disgusting.

fortunate

Sep 9, 2007
Alaska
Detector(s) used
garrett master hunter ads 7, excalibur 1000, whites gmt, compass 77b yukon prospector

..................what revolution?...we live in a police state..totally controlled by the powers that be....at the drop of a hat, revolution would be crushed...as long as we live within 'their' guidelines, (screwedup laws), they leave you alone..otherwise the hammer falls hard and fast and you are branded a crazed loony by all the brain-washed sheoples, gov, and media...have a nice life in prison ;D

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Off topic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread