Shouldnt be irritated, but...

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shouldn't be irritated, but...

Bought an apple laptop, had been dropped but worked. The first bidder messages me, says he's a disabled vet, gives me a VA story, no pc, no tv, etc. etc. can I sell it to him?

I said I can't, I'd already turned down an offer (I had) to end it early, but most of the time the first bidder wins so just hang in there, good luck.

It climbed higher, one bidder kept bidding it up, trying to find the vet's top bid. So I ended it early and sold it to him right then. Thought it was a Christmas good deed.

Turns out he buys them all the time. Sent me an emall thanking me for the great deal, telling me how much he usually had to pay for them.

The LAST time I fall for that story. Disabled vet is a first and it will be the last.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That's too bad...

Sent from an empty soda can!

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
I have never knowen a vet who had so little pride as to do some thing like that. So I do not belive he was a vet, just another free loader. Sorry you got taken advantage of Paleo-joe

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never knowen a vet who had so little pride as to do some thing like that. So I do not belive he was a vet, just another free loader. Sorry you got taken advantage of Paleo-joe

Veterans are just people, not saints.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
That goes to show you do not trust some one you do not know ..

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like that guy was playing on the notion that has been adopted in this country of worshipping patriotism. Too bad you got bamboozled but it was a very nice gesture on your part.

OP
OP
P

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for letting me vent, everyone.

OP
OP
P

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AND GET THIS: The guy hasn't paid yet! I had to do an unpaid item claim yesterday.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm in the American Legion, and at our local post, we get them. Total fakes trying to get help all the way to real disabled veterans pulling a scam, and we at times get fooled -- not just fooled, a time or two totally screwed, but most of the time they need help, and I'd rather than have the good feeling of helping rather than dwell on the feeling of being taken advantage of. It's a learning curve, and we don't fall for the same things twice. Anyhow, here is something you need to know when you are helping a disabled veteran. A truly disabled vet who is in the VA system is getting paid, sometimes very large amounts of money. 20% pays over $200 a month, 60% over a thousand, and in some cases, a 100% disability can be getting over three thousand. On top of that if they have to travel to a VA medical center, they get travel expenses. That's just something to keep in mind. Trust me, the guy that's 100% and getting 3 grand deserves every cent, and that's not enough. There are disabled vets, many with families that really are in need of help, but come at it with your eyes open, ask questions, what percent are you? Are you in the VA system? Also a person don't have to be shot or blown up to be a disabled vet. I'm a disabled vet from a non service connected disability acquired at age 75, and nobody owes me a thing, and I don't need any more deals on a purchase than any other person bidding on it. Patriotism is great, I love the thank yous for your service, but I don't even really need those, I volunteered and did exactly what I wanted to, and by no means am I some sort of hero for having served. It's called "duty." That said, there are a lot of Viet Nam vets that have been screwed over big time and they do deserve help. So, be aware, ask questions, what outfit, when, where, what ship were you on, if you haven't been in the military at least act like you know what's going on. If he names a ship or outfit and adds details, you can say, "I wasn't in the Navy," or "I wasn't in the Army." Anyhow, this subject in near and dear to me, and I'm getting on a soap box, so will quit while ahead. Don't give up on helping, just be aware.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I really hate to admit this, but I've grown so extremely leery of any adult with their hand out that I wonder "what is the scam that is going on with that?"

I have seen so much fraud, abuse, scamming and sheer wastefulness that it makes it hard to give anywhere, without an extremely cautious eye. At the end of the day, it is the truly needy that get hurt by all of the scammers in the world.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Just a quick addendum, if a person says "disabled vet," ask what percent, and if they don't know what you are talking about, they aren't a vet. If they give a per cent figure, ask if service connected, if yes, ask what happened. Then decide if you want to give. A member of our post got a medical discharge in WWII because he had pneumonia in boot camp. He's a veteran because he was in about 3 months, but then he went on and worked as a millwright until retirement. Then like me he became disabled after age 70, and he joined the DAV, (Disabled American Veterans). His place was paid for, he made retirement and social security, and was no way a needy vet. Some people had some really expensive puppies for sale, he went sniveling about him being a disabled WWII vet, and they gave him a puppy. When we found out, it was so tough on him that he quit our Legion Post. He did not deserve that dog. But by the same token, I don't want to discourage people from helping really deserving veterans, double especially needy Iraq and Afghanistan vets. The VA is being really hen house about some of those guys, they fought for their country, now they are fighting the VA, and they truly need help, because there is no pay coming from the VA, or the VA is reducing their disability percent. There are lots of folks needing help, so help all you can, but be aware.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions