Shovel digger advise needed.

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone have good and bads over different diggers besides the ones you made yourself unless its perfect for the job and you sell them (cheap) :)

Had to toss that cheap comment in for the heck of it.

So im looking to buy a shovel type digger incase I get a chance to do some hunting while in Virginia Beach area over the holidays. MDing on and off for over 40 years, but always dug plugs while on my knees with a knife or Leache.

Im 6 foot tall, so a length advise would be good too. Im debating on one of those ball type ends, T handle or even a D style handle. I'd think the D style like a regular shovel would be the easiest to carry, but comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

David

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Samson 18" t handle, im 6'2" & its my goto for everywhere I can step on it if I choose, & when im on the ground digging I dont have to stand back up to use it given me the full potential of the shovel to get threw anything in my way. I picked up a bomb sheath for that & my normal lesche keeping them in the sheaths until use makes them definetly look less dangerous in the public eye I guess. All in all glad I got it cuz originaly I just thought 18" to small I was wrong & its perfect

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Christo, I looking to add, a longer handled digger to my regular Lesche, the Samson T handle that Kellyco shows is 31" over all, is this what you have or is there a smaller one?
Samson 18" t handle, im 6'2" & its my goto for everywhere I can step on it if I choose, & when im on the ground digging I dont have to stand back up to use it given me the full potential of the shovel to get threw anything in my way. I picked up a bomb sheath for that & my normal lesche keeping them in the sheaths until use makes them definetly look less dangerous in the public eye I guess. All in all glad I got it cuz originaly I just thought 18" to small I was wrong & its perfect

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No mine is 18" end to end, I have the regular lesche that I was using normaly,but like u said I was doin more relic hunting & needed that extra punch this 18" one is just great easy to carry with or with out the sheath

ForumRunner_20131120_072755.png

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vendor help please, who has this? I want one!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Wayne, Order placed.

Ull like it bud guaranteed ill bet u got a great deal from Wayne aswell the vendors here on tnet r here for a reason congrats bud

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone have good and bads over different diggers besides the ones you made yourself unless its perfect for the job and you sell them (cheap) :)

Had to toss that cheap comment in for the heck of it.

So im looking to buy a shovel type digger incase I get a chance to do some hunting while in Virginia Beach area over the holidays. MDing on and off for over 40 years, but always dug plugs while on my knees with a knife or Leache.

Im 6 foot tall, so a length advise would be good too. Im debating on one of those ball type ends, T handle or even a D style handle. I'd think the D style like a regular shovel would be the easiest to carry, but comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

David

D handle is not too good for digging plugs. Large hole yes. The D handle is heavy and fairly wide (approximately 5-6 inches) so it will cut a big plug if used for that purpose. The overall length is good.

Sampson T-handle is good for cutting plugs rather then digging large holes. The length would be better if it was 38" like the D-Handle. The ball Sampson is my favorite because I can use one hand easier to turn the shovel 90 degrees to cut the three plug sides. You can also swing it like a baseball bat to get bears away from you. :laughing7:

18" Sampson works, but you have to stoop to press it down. Best for using on your knees and very easy to carry. Not too good for getting a lot of leverage as the 31".

I have all three, plus a couple of hand diggers and I use all the shovels for different applications. My primary "weapon" is the Sampson 31".

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure about the not alot of leverage I get alot If leverage & im 6'2" my selling point was when im on the ground not having to jump.back up to use it.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread