rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had a show today Saturday. I took some of my best finds to see what some other eyes could see. Most everyone are hobbyist like ourselves here on Tnet. That being said I went with the most answers that were the same for my finds. Some were interesting as to what was decided. Here they are as what I consider results. Some might agree or even disagree.
1St Cobbs
2nd Preform Butterfly Banner undrilled
3rd Bottom of a Cherokee Salt Pan (rare) which I won an award.
I gave the pottery to the best person I know that will cherish it the most Lloyd Scroder he has written books on Southeastern Indian Pottery. He is real nice guy and a pleasure to talk with. Really down to earth.

Attachments

• SDC10223.JPG
    SDC10223.JPG
    682.3 KB · Views: 123
  • SDC10222.JPG
    SDC10222.JPG
    1,011.5 KB · Views: 108
  • SDC10013.JPG
    SDC10013.JPG
    735.5 KB · Views: 117
  • SDC10012.JPG
    SDC10012.JPG
    772.7 KB · Views: 96
  • SDC11426.JPG
    SDC11426.JPG
    866.2 KB · Views: 124
Upvote 0
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and this one nobody really could give me a answer for. It varied from Copena to Paleo and no 2 answers was the same.

Attachments

• SDC10169.JPG
    SDC10169.JPG
    784.5 KB · Views: 109

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't remember seeing your cobbs,I don't think?Man that is a killer piece!congrats on the award.Never been to a show before,might have to check one out if it comes to town.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you had a great day! First I ever heard of a Cherokee Salt Pan and now gonna research it...very interesting. So generous of you to give the pottery to Mr. Scroder ... you are a generous man rock

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have guessed copena. You won an award? How cool is that. Salt pan is pretty cool. You get a pic of the ribbon?

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have guessed copena. You won an award? How cool is that. Salt pan is pretty cool. You get a pic of the ribbon?

They are going to mail it to me the person in charge of giving them out couldn't make it. They do certificates, I won it for the pottery category.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't remember seeing your cobbs,I don't think?Man that is a killer piece!congrats on the award.Never been to a show before,might have to check one out if it comes to town.

You will have to join the club that is presenting the show in order to receive an award. There is usually a joining fee for a year of membership. The Cobbs I found back in January 2015. Its the nicest blade I have ever found. Thanks

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock thats cool that you joined. We have a history round table group here. Time is my problem. But any time you can get like minds together you grow your knowledge.
Congratulations sir.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you had a great day! First I ever heard of a Cherokee Salt Pan and now gonna research it...very interesting. So generous of you to give the pottery to Mr. Scroder ... you are a generous man rock

I saw him at the show and I knew he really liked pottery. I let him look at it for hours as he was trying to decide exactly what it was. I could see him from my table. He was very intrigued by the designs on it as I was as well. When he put it to the side I knew he had a result. I walked to him and he says oh there you are I was hoping you forgot about the pottery, lol. I let him tell me the information I had been waiting to hear on it. This piece I found is the bottom of a Cherokee salt pan which dates 1700-1800 Historic time frame and very rare. I could see the interest in his eyes while he was going into detail on it as the design of it as if it was a whole piece. He loves his pottery. I told the person he was with just as soon as I get my award as I knew nobody could top it by its rarity I was going to give it to him. Well they called my name I got my pic taken I then went to the table where he was and told him how much I enjoyed talking to him shook his hand and then handed it to him. He said I just bought this nice frame and now have something to put into it. I know he will enjoy it as I bought his most recent pottery book. Its a must have for the south very detailed.

Attachments

• SDC10243.JPG
    SDC10243.JPG
    670.7 KB · Views: 76
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does one go about figuring out if their pottery was a salt pan? Are there any special things about a shard that would stand out?

Mine was very flat. I thought it was a plate. The designs on it I guess was the 1st clue I am guessing. Once he figured out the ingredients of the pottery he then figured out the period and age. Then I would guess he used a couple of books to get the I.D. He had it for a few hours. He is a pottery guru for this area.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine was very flat. I thought it was a plate. The designs on it I guess was the 1st clue I am guessing. Once he figured out the ingredients of the pottery he then figured out the period and age. Then I would guess he used a couple of books to get the I.D. He had it for a few hours. He is a pottery guru for this area.

I love this hobby/obsession and learn something new every day! Thank you for sharing your info!

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How wonderful for you rock...:hello2: congrats on winning an award, you deserve it. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Kat. My points weren't the best at the show but for my area they are good. Not every NA could make nice tools, just tools good enough to get dinner with. I still like finding them pretty or not.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going!- good information, and Congratulations on your award-winner ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread