Si Robertson Treasure Commander.

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5 DD, Si Robertson TC2X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had my Si Robertson TC2X out today to get the feel for it. I have put in a lot of time getting used to my Fisher F5 DD and I really like it. The one thing that I noticed about the TC2X is that the pin pointing is very different. Where the Fisher F5 gives you a depth rating while pin pointing the TC2X gives you a signal strength. The depth reading is provided while you are actually scanning. Small difference I know but it took some time to adjust to this. The other thing that I noticed was the sweet spot on the TC2X is quite different. With my Fisher its right in the middle of the coil where the little dot is. The TC2X is slightly different. For a while I was under the impression that the sweet spot was right in the middle of the coil. As a result I was getting hits and then not being able to pin point them and just passed them over. After this happened about five times I threw a penny down and discovered my error.
Also in all metal mode the TC2X sounds like a video game. every time you swing the coil you get some sort of hit and only a few of them are repeatable. This is even the case with the sensitivity turned all the way down. As such I have been using the preset notch modes for this detector. I will have to set up a custom profile on this machine soon. Overall I still think that this is a very good metal detector! I just haven't adjusted to it yet.

In some cases it does hit and then I dig a hole only to have the Garret Pro Pinpointer not pick anything up at all. This is a bit confusing to me because I will re-scan the hole and get the same repeatable signal. This has happened a couple of times but it seems to me that it may be the settings on the pinpointer.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Troller

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading your advice I went outside in the rain to test the theory out. Sure enough it was a big object that was pretty deep. In the end it was an aluminum can but hey this is a learning experience so now I know! Thanks for the advice on this.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Raising the coil can sometimes help between a can and a coin. A coin will lose ID lock raising the coil 6" from a coin. A can will hold the ID for more than 12" usually. If you use a DD coil, the can will peak and drop slower than a coin during static pinpointing. I place my LRP in temporary AM mode holding a button down that gives me an idea of size while slowly scanning the target.

Just some tricks I've learned over the years that saves a little digging.

OP
OP
Troller

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Raising the coil can sometimes help between a can and a coin. A coin will lose ID lock raising the coil 6" from a coin. A can will hold the ID for more than 12" usually. If you use a DD coil, the can will peak and drop slower than a coin during static pinpointing. I place my LRP in temporary AM mode holding a button down that gives me an idea of size while slowly scanning the target.

Just some tricks I've learned over the years that saves a little digging.

The tone will peak and then drop or the target ID? I use actually use a DD coil on my Fisher F5. Any pointers you have are more than welcomed I am all ears! Thanks for the tip you just provided too. I really enjoy learning from people who have been doing this awhile. So honestly if you have pointers keep em comming!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread