Sic Semper Tyrannis

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
I cant believe I found this Early Virginia button up here in Ma...Had plans to hunt a 1650 farm site but that fell through...So fog called and said he went to this site when I was on vacation ..He pulled an 1840 large cent and a scabbard tip...So I say lets go there...Started off the hunt with 4 crotals in a 2 foot radius...Then a couple of wheats and then this Beautiful Button...I was smiling all day after that...It has a lot of guilt under the crud but I'm not going to clean it yet...I think its kinda rare and don't want to ruin it...I thought it was a mass militia until I got home...Glad I was wrong...This button made my year....Its in Alberts book and dates 1810-1826...Its an early coat of arms Virginia. I don't dig too many military items here in mass...They just don't turn up too often...Especially Virginia buttons... But I will take it!!! UPDATE....I decided to clean it I could see the chipping in parts...But the silver plate was 95% there.....but my camera stinks at capturing the true color ..It's silver now...Here is the new picture.

Attachments

• Virginia Button Obverse.JPG
    Virginia Button Obverse.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 168
  • Virginia Button reverse.JPG
    Virginia Button reverse.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 132
  • cleaned Virginia 1812.jpg
    cleaned Virginia 1812.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Upvote 18

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a fantastic button.
Dont see to many 1812 Virginia buttons dug..
Congrats,
George

kray

Mar 21, 2010
SW Ct. Formerly N Va.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
E Trac
AT Pro
Nautilus 11Ba
MXT
M6
6000 DiPro
Omega
Bounty hunter TR550
Heathkit homemade
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful button. Never seen one like it.

The Fog

May 24, 2009
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Very nice find Bri, just use an sos pad, or a belt sander on that one, she'll polish right up. I was supposed to find that while you were on vacation! WTG, that is a beauty. I'll post my ball point pen spring later, it's soaking in olive oil right now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
Lol Fog...thanks for the info on this button...I couldn't find any info online...didn't know there were die variants ....I'm pretty sure your spring is from a pez dispenser...lol

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's a beauty bud. What's the rarity rating on that baby?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Digging one like that certainly would put a smile on mine! That's a really a great looking button, congrats.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"You'll TAKE it?!" Dang man! I live in Virginia. Never even SEEN one of those. hey I have an idea, I have a couple of Mass buttons I've found here in Virginia . . . let's TRADE!!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet button, I got a button out in the midwest that dates to same time frame

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
Thanks for the comments everyone.

If anyone has any info on this button feel free to chime in

Ahab.....I don't know the rarity rating on this button...But I have been a member for 8 years and never seen one posted :thumbsup:

parsonwalker.....I already have a mass 1812 and civil war...Guess I will just keep this one....lol

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a beautiful button. I bet you really made the Virginia boys jealous with that one!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that belonged to one of my long lost relatives if you want to return it!!!!:D:D:D That's an awesome find! I'm still drooling. Congrats!!!

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dame nice button.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow that's a long way from home! Looks like some fun research could come from that button regarding history.

Steve

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Brian - that's an outstanding find as your button was basically the first of the early Virginia ones. As you can tell by the pic below from Albert's "Record of American Uniform and Historical Buttons", yours is button VA1B in my opinion. And it carries a RV (relative value) of 50 which makes it quite scarce or maybe even a little on the rare side. You could verify for sure if yours was a VA1A or VA1B if the backmark was readable based on the info supplied in the image below (Philad vs Phil backmark). The button maker, George Armitage of Philadelphia, made these from around 1810-26 which is why they're commonly referred to as "War of 1812" buttons. I've dug 2 or 3 of them over the years down here in VA, but finding one up your way is definitely a rare feat. Congrats on an awesome and very-difficult-to-make find.

Va buttons - Alberts book.jpg

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
Thanks for that info Bill... I'm with you on the id...May have to do some gentle cleaning on the back to check out what Armitage Mark is there.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread