Sick of digging pull tabs and trash! will a Umax work on the beach?

Kamorle

Jun 26, 2013
I now have a Garret at gold and while mostly happy with the unit its not ideal in all conditions. The audio tones could be vastly improved as well as the notching. Also it goes crazy on the beach. I'm thinking of adding the golden umax to my inventory as it seems to be able to discriminate between pull tabs and junk to rings and jewelry( you can keep the coins unless their gold). So my main question is how well does it perform on the beach?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will work in dry sand fine, but not known for being depth demons. You pretty much will be missing some gold by notching out pulltabs, but I understand your frustration! Don't believe the video on the uMax it doesn't work that well with all the various targets you encounter on the beach at varied depths.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kamorle

Kamorle

Jun 26, 2013
It will work in dry sand fine, but not known for being depth demons. You pretty much will be missing some gold by notching out pulltabs, but I understand your frustration! Don't believe the video on the uMax it doesn't work that well with all the various targets you encounter on the beach at varied depths.

Thanks for the advice. Can you recommend something that's better at discriminating the junk? Possibility a good multi tone unit I have overlooked? I'm not looking to win the depth race. Let the obsessives dig deep and get all the junk. I just want to quickly skim the cream off of the top.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Kamorie; Let's stop and take a look at this situation first ok. The first question is "What is your Budget for your new detector??" Once you have answered that then you can look around on the market. My Suggestion is to look for a Whites Mark6 or one comparable to it. It will block out the salt water. Is very good at separating iron from coins and gold. Has a decent depth ratio and its ID meter is very accurate. Your problem seems to be that you have a machine (s) that are simly not up to the task you want to accomplish ok. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB
PS: Look at the Whites Line ok. Bye.

OP
OP
Kamorle

Kamorle

Jun 26, 2013
HI Kamorie; Let's stop and take a look at this situation first ok. The first question is "What is your Budget for your new detector??" Once you have answered that then you can look around on the market. My Suggestion is to look for a Whites Mark6 or one comparable to it. It will block out the salt water. Is very good at separating iron from coins and gold. Has a decent depth ratio and its ID meter is very accurate. Your problem seems to be that you have a machine (s) that are simly not up to the task you want to accomplish ok. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB
PS: Look at the Whites Line ok. Bye.

Yea I see they have some good units. Moneys not such a problem for me. I wear the pants and work like a real man... I think I'm liking the looks of the v3i. 3 frequency, and every option, wow! It may be my next unit;-) Thanks for the tip!

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Kamorie; With the V3i you will "NEVE" need another detector again EVER. !!! My digging partner has one and he TRUMPS all of us guys every time we go out in a group. He pulls out little pendants at 8 - 10". I have personally watched him find a Large Cent at almost 18" and I'll stake my own reputation on that one. It is a "KILLER" detector with a Lifetime Warranty. You will die before it does. Also you will NEVER have radio interference again. It can shift frequencies in a heartbeat. Great choice. GO FOR IT. !!! It is my dream machine. I use a DFX. I love it but I always want more. Let me know how you make out with it ok. PEACE:RONB :headbang:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never knew Whites offered a lifetime warranty

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry, but there is NO, I repeat NO machine yet made that will discriminate between pulltabs and gold rings. Ditto for lead sinkers and gold rings. If you wish to find gold rings and jewelry you HAVE to dig trash, no way around it.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sorry, but there is NO, I repeat NO machine yet made that will discriminate between pulltabs and gold rings. Ditto for lead sinkers and gold rings. If you wish to find gold rings and jewelry you HAVE to dig trash, no way around it.

Now........if that ain't the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:laughing7:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I now have a Garret at gold and while mostly happy with the unit its not ideal in all conditions. The audio tones could be vastly improved as well as the notching. Also it goes crazy on the beach. I'm thinking of adding the golden umax to my inventory as it seems to be able to discriminate between pull tabs and junk to rings and jewelry( you can keep the coins unless their gold). So my main question is how well does it perform on the beach?
If you disc pull tabs you lose 90% of the gold rings. No detector can tell the difference in the conductivity between gold rings and alum pull tabs, and white gold is more in the Iron range. But you have another problem if hunting the wet sand as all single freq detectors will false like crazy there.

For wet sand you'd better get a CZ-21, Excal II or Sov GT. Another choice is the White's BHID. The Sov GT isn't water proof, but less $$$ than the others.

Last edited:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been detecting since the 70's.. if you do not dig pull tabs and trash you do not dig the really great treasure... You may as well give up and take up a new hobby like golfing.... yes I have the newest of the detectors and still dig all of the trash....

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Change your area or bite the bullet, remove the trash and get to the heavy gold that's under the foil...

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009

Your asking specificity how well the golden umax works on the beach. Also about discriminating pull tabs. I use the umax on the dry sand and it works great. Probly most detectors work well on dry beach sand. But on a beach you want to keep your discrimination low or your going to miss the good stuff. I find dry beach hunting to be easy especially if you have a long handle scoop. No bending down. Sometimes if it sounds like a bottle cap or trash, I just kick it out from the ground. If I see nothing I rescan. Sometimes the signal changes when I move away some sand. I have gone to a section of the beach where it got chattery. Maybe lowering sensitivity would have helped, but I just went back to my car and got my DFX and continued hunting.

OP
OP
Kamorle

Kamorle

Jun 26, 2013
Your asking specificity how well the golden umax works on the beach. Also about discriminating pull tabs. I use the umax on the dry sand and it works great. Probly most detectors work well on dry beach sand. But on a beach you want to keep your discrimination low or your going to miss the good stuff. I find dry beach hunting to be easy especially if you have a long handle scoop. No bending down. Sometimes if it sounds like a bottle cap or trash, I just kick it out from the ground. If I see nothing I rescan. Sometimes the signal changes when I move away some sand. I have gone to a section of the beach where it got chattery. Maybe lowering sensitivity would have helped, but I just went back to my car and got my DFX and continued hunting.

Thanks for that info, I have decided to go with a different detector. V3i has caught my eye but also thinking of a PI machine like the cz21. I'm in no rush though, I might wait a year or 2 and see what new toys come on the market. I really want to see something that can tell me if its gold or not. I think with the technology available today something like that should be on the way soon.

OP
OP
Kamorle

Kamorle

Jun 26, 2013
I have been detecting since the 70's.. if you do not dig pull tabs and trash you do not dig the really great treasure... You may as well give up and take up a new hobby like golfing.... yes I have the newest of the detectors and still dig all of the trash....

I already tried golfing for a hobby... I would rather dig pull tabs;-)

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Thanks for that info, I have decided to go with a different detector. V3i has caught my eye but also thinking of a PI machine like the cz21. I'm in no rush though, I might wait a year or 2 and see what new toys come on the market. I really want to see something that can tell me if its gold or not. I think with the technology available today something like that should be on the way soon.

I'm no sure about that. Gold and aluminum in the same range. The machine you are describing does not exist. If it did everyone would run out and buy one. Take your time and do your reserch.

OP
OP
Kamorle

Kamorle

Jun 26, 2013
I'm no sure about that. Gold and aluminum in the same range. The machine you are describing does not exist. If it did everyone would run out and buy one. Take your time and do your reserch.

I realize this.. the machine I want does not appear to exist YET.. with the amount of demand for one I really feel it will soon. I have researched many detectors that's why I asked about the umax, a YouTube video was showing how it could discriminate trash and gold in a air test. Just because information is not well known dose not mean its not there. Just because people say its not possible dose not mean anything, people have said this and that was not possible for all kinds of reasons and have been proved wrong. I'm still taking my time and researching possibilities that's why I'm posting on this forum and getting others knowledge and advice.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
You have a real sensitive machine to start with for the beach, the AT Gold. It will pick up the tiniest pieces of can slaw, foil and junk that you can barely see. It was made for gold nugget hunting in gold fields and fresh water gold bearing creeks, not salt water beaches it will go crazy from the salt. At a fresh water beach It can be used with good results but will still pick up very tiny pieces of crap. This is was what it was made for, to pick up sub gram pieces of gold. And to add to your post. The CZ 21 is not a PI detector. It's a VLF detector. Good luck

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
..oh and if you're not digging pull tabs you won't be finding gold, and if you're not digging foil you won't find those mommy's small thin "big diamond" rings! Good luck.

OP
OP
Kamorle

Kamorle

Jun 26, 2013
You have a real sensitive machine to start with for the beach, the AT Gold. It will pick up the tiniest pieces of can slaw, foil and junk that you can barely see. It was made for gold nugget hunting in gold fields and fresh water gold bearing creeks, not salt water beaches it will go crazy from the salt. At a fresh water beach It can be used with good results but will still pick up very tiny pieces of crap. This is was what it was made for, to pick up sub gram pieces of gold. And to add to your post. The CZ 21 is not a PI detector. It's a VLF detector. Good luck

Yea I stand corrected.. I had seen some videos of its depth and just assumed it was a PI. My main hobby is prospecting and the AT gold is ok at that job. As I used It I realized that I liked to detect as a hobby also.. I'm still after the gold but just in different areas then the remote rivers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions