Side scan sonar / magnetometer

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We use side scan sonars,magnetometers and sub bottom profilers.Most units come with their own software on the higher end digital models.There is better software out there for existing models but most start at 15k to 30k.There is software for the older analog models and you need to buy the hardware to make it work.And its much cheaper.From $400 to 3k.

OP
OP
Whittman

Whittman

Oct 4, 2005
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers
Don't they have combination side scan/mag. units? Would make sense to kill two birds with one stone, especially if you were covering a large area.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two completely different machines..............

OP
OP
Whittman

Whittman

Oct 4, 2005
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers
Sorry, I wasn't really being clear. I understand that they are different units, just wondering if anyone tows both units simultaneously and if so what kind of software is being used to manage the data...

Denniss

Jan 7, 2011
Fort Pierce, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Fisher Impulse, Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OP
OP
Whittman

Whittman

Oct 4, 2005
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers
Thanks Deniss. I have met Marty Klein at Boston Sea Rovers...
Nice guy.

Glennk

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2005
Scandinavia
Primary Interest:
Other
Whittman said:
Don't they have combination side scan/mag. units? Would make sense to kill two birds with one stone, especially if you were covering a large area.
Yes they do have these two sensors towed one after the other.
The software then records magnetic anomalities, and the position of that anomality can then be viewed as a sidescan.

OP
OP
Whittman

Whittman

Oct 4, 2005
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers
"Yes they do have these two sensors towed one after the other.
The software then records magnetic anomalities, and the position of that anomality can then be viewed as a sidescan. "

Any recommendations as far as manufacturers?

piratediver

Jun 29, 2006
newport, Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contact Gary Kozak at Klein, one of the best in the business. I've used Gary a number of times for mag and sonar surveys, he really knows his stuff. If you can get to New Hampshire he will show you around the Klein factory and demo their equipment.

Pirate Diver

OP
OP
Whittman

Whittman

Oct 4, 2005
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers
He just did a side scan survey for a friend of mine. Thanks for the reference.

ping

Apr 6, 2005
Vancouver BC
You can use virtually any professional quality sidescan sonar with a magnetometer. You usually need to tow both devices independently. You usually tow the magnetometer behind the sidescan so the mag doesn't register the sidescan. Some sidescan units can interface to a mag and allow it to be towed behind the sidescan, but this isn't necessary.

The trick is the software. You want to overlay the magnetic data on the sidescan data, and make corrections for the relative displacement of the two. I know that the GeoAcoustics sidescan units do this, and their 'GeoPro' software allows for simultaneous real time sidescan and magnetic visualization. The GeoPro software runs on a Mac.

For most buried wrecks, it's very difficult to discriminate between benign sidescan contacts and magnetic contacts. However, when you have a sidescan contact that also registers on the mag, you have almost certainly found a man-made object.

Let me know if you have any questions. You can contact GeoAcoustics about the "GeoPro" software. They may or may not still carry it but I know for a fact that the people who wrote that software are still around and the software is up to date.

Ping

garryk

Greenie
Mar 20, 2005
I have worked professionally in this field for over 35 years and have worked with all the available software to process and layer the mag and SSS datasets. The best software IMO to process and layer magnetometer data onto the side scan sonar data is called SonarWiz 5 made by Cheasapeake Technologies.

see: http://www.chesapeaketech.com/

Attached is an example merge

Best

Garry

www.2kozak.com

Attachments

• 6-224c Mag Data overlaid on SSS Mosaic.jpg
    6-224c Mag Data overlaid on SSS Mosaic.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 2,592

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread