Sidewalk tear out and Gooseville revisited

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Took my friend Bob who is visiting from Montana, over to a local sidewalk tear out and then over to Gander without a mountain - aka goose poo flats...

At the sidewalk tear out, we weren't having much luck finding anything old.
We did manage to attract two young leeches (neighborhood kids) that were all too willing to look in the hole, ask if I found it yet, ask if they could dig, eagerly told me the numbers on my Etrac in case that would help find something... I know they were just being kids but at times they were actually getting in the way. I was tempted to pretend to dig up something and give it to them, but usually about the time my patience was wearing thin, they would move over to my friend Bob for a while. This gave me just the break I needed to concentrate on the signal that produced a first for me.

Finally I got a nice high tone, slightly broken in one direction, but it was leading me to believe it was silver so I thought I better dig before the kids came back and made me lose concentration and run the risk of damaging the coin while digging. About 5 inches down I got the first 1891 quarter I have ever found - in fact the only quarter in the 1800's I have ever found. Is this what you call a seated? The face is in better shape than the back as you'll see from the photo. After getting it out of the hole, I left most of the dirt on it and stuck it in my pocket, and washed it off with water at my truck when we left.

Bob got a few clad coins, I got some clad and a top of possibly a whiskey bottle with a strange metal cap that almost looked like lead. What was strange about it was there was an opening in the top of the metal cap as if a cork had gone in the mouth of the bottle.

Over at goose poo flats - and we had a fly-by while detecting... Bob looks over at me thinking I was making fake goose noises, and I just point towards the sky and he cracks up. I guess he didn't believe there really were geese in the area. So we're getting the usual plethora of signals - mostly clad mems, dimes, quarters, and the occasional nickel. So far nothing old until I get a nice high tone sound but this time the numbers were slightly different than the clad dime numbers. Ladies and gentlemen, we have silver! My first silver dime or silver anything at goose poo flats. Previously I had found a buffalo nickel so I still had hope there was more goodies. Mercury looks pretty crisp but something about that really black soil changes the color of most coins there. Water did not wash off the black streaks but I'll leave it the way it is rather than potentially cause more damage by cleaning.

Both the silver coins were mint marked S.

The previous hunt at the beach in Evanston - with the bumble bee - pictured is something probably from a vehicle but no clue if from truck or car or what function it performed. It looks like the knob could be slid up or down in a slot in the curved plate, and that would possibly lengthen or shorten the rod with the tube shape on the end. Any ideas? Also found a 1965 beach token - yes you had to pay to get onto certain beaches in Evanston - and you still do.

Attachments

• 1891-1914.jpg
    1891-1914.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 189
  • 1891-1914back.jpg
    1891-1914back.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 194
  • Beach-Token.jpg
    Beach-Token.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 198
  • whoknows.jpg
    whoknows.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 209

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow - AWESOME finds, congrats!!!! Seems like a lot of seated's are being found lately!!!!!! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Seated Quarter Mayo,,,XF Merc as well

:hello: :thumbsup:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Sweet shinies Mayo! Added three more IH's and a couple wheats from the east block. Only quarters and dimes I got were clad though. They s/b clearing the edges of the west end/north side stretches today so we'll have to make sure we get there before they tamp and form.

BTW, they ended up removing the slabs in front of the old church there and that's where 3 IH's have come from so far. Let's hit after we get done creekin', bring spare shoes!

Remember the gal with the 1918 colonial stucco? Gonna keep a couple spare bottles in the trunk since she likes 'em. Probably a couple creamers and a fancy colored one or two, see if we can't negotiate that big fine yard of hers' into a little hunt action. She's just across the street from the younger gal in the 1898 gingerbread who also sounded like a target of opportunity. They both have old large nice yards.

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Congrats on your first seated quarter Mayo! You must be on cloud niner with that one. That Murky Merc is Sweeet also!!!

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mayo, it was great to hunt with you & Tim today and be able to see that quarter up close & in person :thumbsup:

Take care,
Mark

OP
OP
Mayo South Elgin

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Mark - I had a fun time (was it really 7 hours???) with you and Tim too.
Thanks for letting me try out that Garret pinpointer - and your shovel.
Too bad the quarter I retrieved with your shovel (from the creek) turned out to be clad... it had me fooled for a minute.

The thick green Indian head penny I got today turned out to be an 1896.
I tried a new cleaning solution on it - ZEP bathroom tub and tile cleaner that dissolves calcium and lime.
Most of the green came off and the coin is in kinda rough shape. I'll get a picture of it after a little more cleaning.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Yep, got some sun and fun with you guys today. The coinage on the clay in the creek was clad, no big flooding this year to wash out the oldies so far in that stretch.

Gotta get that new tire fixed already!

Hey Mayo, get a shot of that Hong Kong coinage too!

OP
OP
Mayo South Elgin

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Sidewalk tear out and Gooseville revisited - two more pics

OK judging from the condition of the Indian head I would say I cleaned it too long in the ZEP shower tub & tile cleaner. But it did get all the green oxidation or whatever that green stuff is, off. Oh wait - we were in Goose Poo Flats when I got that Indian... hmmmm

Anyways, I'm not convinced that the cleaner made this coin worse, because as Lowbatts and Watercolor will agree, it was a solid blob of hard packed green when I pulled it from the ground. The thing I like about the ZEP cleaner is that it doesn't turn the coin black like the peroxide does. In fact it was still quite red before I put olive oil on it so it would photograph better. So I don't know if the pitted look on this coin was from the ground effect or the ZEP effect. Or both.

The King Hong Kong coin on the other hand was in absolutely great condition when I pulled it from the ground. It looked like it had a minor tarnish to it and I put some of the ZEP on it and within about 10 seconds realized I should have left it alone. The nice patina was starting to slightly come off and the surface was beginning to feel etched. Lesson learned! I quickly rinsed it and oiled it.

Attachments

• Rough1896.jpg
    Rough1896.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 137
  • rough1896-2.jpg
    rough1896-2.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 128
  • King1950.jpg
    King1950.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 146
  • KingGeorge1950.jpg
    KingGeorge1950.jpg