Sifting TALLIO link, Jaw Harp and more...

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It had been over a month since I was able to sift and detect at my site and I finally got a chance to spend a few hours back there. I had finished my new sifter last week after giving my old sifter away, so I was anxious to give it a try. In the winter I marked off a few areas away from the main pit, where I dug plugs and found a concentration of items that made me want to sift it. So I decided to open up one of these areas and I found my favorite cufflink yet. Its a Tallio (Tally-Ho) Fox Hunting cufflink. In addition, I got my first iron shoe buckle frame piece, some pipe bowl fragments and another Jaw Harp.

IMG_20160704_110923455.jpg

I have seen these Tallio links and buttons posted on here from time to time. I am in a very equestrian area and have friends who fox hunt, so I always thought these links were awesome, but never imagined I'd find one. I had read how the British introduced fox hunting in the colonies and affluent colonials would often hunt. So historically, this link is very special to me. For those who have been following, the number of links I have found this year is obnoxious and it's only because I am sifting that most of these are turning up. Almost all my links lately have been located in the clay layer about 10-12" deep at the bottom of the pit. They are so thin and small that the machine cant detect them past a few inches. So the only way to get at these tiny items, is to move tons of dirt manually. When this link turned up I could tell it had a design, but put it in my cotton ball case. An hour or so later, I needed a break from moving dirt so I picked at it a bit and saw "TALLIO" across the top... that made me sit there and smile for a solid 10 minutes :headbang: The shank from the other link is sheared off and attached to the loop. So perhaps it will show up in an adjoining section.

IMG_20160704_110905682.jpg

Most of my non-ferrous items were very small and I kept getting broken tombac button fragments. Two of them fit together and have a nice etched design on them. Too bad it is broken and missing most of it.

IMG_20160704_111011309.jpg

The iron shoe buckle fragment was a unexpected find. I have dozens of brass buckle frames and fragments, but this was my first iron one.

IMG_20160701_085330677_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160704_111350110.jpg

Here are the links that I have pulled from the pit area this year. There are 8 of them, however the Louis XVII is most likely a button. I have two other oval links in the case, but not in this picture that I found last year at this site. Both of those are toasted and not nearly as nice to look at as these. I also dug a link in Maine and another link over the winter, so this has been the season for cufflinks for me.

IMG_20160704_112016360.jpg

This was the 4th Jaw Harp I dug here. I always wanted one, and after I found the first one over the winter, they seem to be turning up regularly.

IMG_20160704_111707118.jpg

I try to eyeball anything unusual in the sifter, including odd rocks which has gotten me 4 musket flints. This rock had a edge on it that looks like it might have been knapped to create a serration. I'm actually not confident that it is knapped, but I wanted to post it on here to see if anyone could verify. I've never found a Native American artifact so I know nothing about them at all... so most likely, this is just a broken rock. ha

IMG_20160704_111117405.jpg

And my new sifter... painted and with ball bearing legs. It looks a little beat up now that I've had it in the field. I was very impressed with the amount of dirt this can move.

IMG_20160628_131544994.jpg
IMG_20160628_131617308.jpg

Upvote 10

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! I've been wanting to try sifting and post like this get me fired up. Thanks for sharing. Maybe I'll build one soon.

HH RN

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another great effort in the dirt buddy. Congrats on that killer link. Always amazed at what you pull out and the amazing results you get cleaning and preserving

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That has to be the most productive pit ever as far as variety goes. Have you been able to put any of the pottery partially together?

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never seen a sifting mofo like you Brad! Of all the links you've made me jealous over from this pit, this one takes it! That buckle piece cleaned up amazingly as well as the Jews harp.

Can't wait to see that dandy sifter in action. It looks pretty as a daisy but I can tell it's also wicked strong.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brings back memories to my first Talli ho found a few spelling variations

Tally O , Tallio , etc. , very good find ! :cool: back to the pool have a good one .

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Tallio cufflink Brad. That design must have been very popular 220 years ago. I have managed to dig 4 of them over the years and I have seen a lot of others posted.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That has to be the most productive pit ever as far as variety goes. Have you been able to put any of the pottery partially together?

Thanks a ton man. It's my first pit, so I don't have much to compare it to. Last month, I did sift with Abe in Maine and Isaac down here, so I sort of know what other pits look like now. Isaac's pit was more like mine and Abe's contained more shells than pottery (at least the section we opened). I can say that there is no end in sight. I have had a couple sifting trips where I couldnt get a productive section at all, then feet away on my next trip, it's loaded. Based on what I have marked off, I can sift this place for years and still have good hunts.

I do have many partial reconstructions from this pit in the last year. All of these were in previous sifting posts from the last year or so. The top one that is complete is a Davenport Pearlware bowl from the early 1800's.

IMG_20160704_132306479.jpg
IMG_20160704_132315939.jpg
IMG_20160704_132320604.jpg
IMG_20160704_132326975.jpg
IMG_20160704_132338075.jpg
IMG_20160704_135006495.jpg

I have many earthenware pieces in this state of reconstruction.
IMG_20160704_132721630.jpg

This is a little insane, but I bring about 95% of the pieces home with me and they go into boxes. This is about half of it and its probably 30-40 lbs of glass and pottery. At some point I will sort it and put some more back together. I am sure that there are some other nearly complete pieces in this pile of broken stuff and its a fun puzzle to try and put it back together.

IMG_20160704_132532609.jpg

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds! I've been wanting to try sifting and post like this get me fired up. Thanks for sharing. Maybe I'll build one soon.

HH RN

Thanks Relic Nut! I hope you do get into sifting. I've been having more fun with it than most days just detecting. Although I miss the pit sections from last summer that were more productive, it seems to consistently produce. Its a ton of work, but very rewarding to pluck a keeper from pounded ground.

Another great effort in the dirt buddy. Congrats on that killer link. Always amazed at what you pull out and the amazing results you get cleaning and preserving

Thanks a ton buddy... I'm also amazed at what turns up! As I said when that link turned up, I wouldn't have been surprised if a unicorn came out of the woods. :laughing7: I appreciate the cleaning\preservation compliment a ton man. I almost didn't do this post because it takes me a couple hours to get one together, but I had a bit of time this morning before afternoon activities, so I figured I'd put one together. You already had seen most of it, so I'm sure it wasnt too exciting!

I've never seen a sifting mofo like you Brad! Of all the links you've made me jealous over from this pit, this one takes it! That buckle piece cleaned up amazingly as well as the Jews harp.

Can't wait to see that dandy sifter in action. It looks pretty as a daisy but I can tell it's also wicked strong.

Thanks a ton man! I have a feeling I left some smaller stuff behind last summer in the first pit sections I did. I was new at it and I don't think I properly excavated the pit to the bottom clay layer. metalev gave me a tip about clearing out the bottom until there was no more nails and since I started doing that, I've squeaked out cuff buttons and cuff links from that layer like a mad man! The first sections I did were the most productive too, including that post where I found 41 buttons in one tiny area. So maybe at some point, I'll reopen that section and see if I missed anything.

I took those sifter pictures while the paint was still curing! It's not as pretty after some time in the dirt. ha It is pretty sturdy, with a little wobble to it that I may have to reinforce. Its only in the legs when I pull it up with 100+ lbs of dirt in it.

Brings back memories to my first Talli ho found a few spelling variations

Tally O , Tallio , etc. , very good find ! :cool: back to the pool have a good one .

Thanks CMDiamonddawg! This is my first, but the severed shank give me hope that its mate is somewhere close by. I'll open adjacent sections this week and see what turns up. Enjoy the pool man :thumbsup:

Congrats on the Tallio cufflink Brad. That design must have been very popular 220 years ago. I have managed to dig 4 of them over the years and I have seen a lot of others posted.

Thanks a ton Steve! I have seen them on here from time to time and thought they were really awesome. It appears they are often found in archaeological digs at prominent estates, so they were pretty popular back in the day. So you think they were 1780's to 1790's or so?

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Another successful dig Brad, and congrats on that tallio cuff. And I like that ceramic frag in the upper right of the first pic. That's a piece of mid-to-late 18th century slipware. I've found some of those identical pieces at my colonial creekfront site. Nice finds man!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds, congratulations! Good job on your sifter it's very well made. :occasion14:

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another successful dig Brad, and congrats on that tallio cuff. And I like that ceramic frag in the upper right of the first pic. That's a piece of mid-to-late 18th century slipware. I've found some of those identical pieces at my colonial creekfront site. Nice finds man!

Thanks a ton Bill! Ohhhh reallly??? I had no clue that was really old slipware... I honestly just threw in some of the colorful pottery pieces from this pit section to make my picture look nicer. :laughing7: There is another similar fragment in the middle at the bottom. I have other similar pieces from past trips, so perhaps I should see if any will fit together sometime. I believe the larger pipe bowl fragment is one of the older style based on the angle is appears to have from the stem... I wish it was more complete though. I'd love to find an older pipe bowl, since most of mine are 1800's. Thanks again man!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Relic Nut! I hope you do get into sifting. I've been having more fun with it than most days just detecting. Although I miss the pit sections from last summer that were more productive, it seems to consistently produce. Its a ton of work, but very rewarding to pluck a keeper from pounded ground.

Thanks a ton buddy... I'm also amazed at what turns up! As I said when that link turned up, I wouldn't have been surprised if a unicorn came out of the woods. :laughing7: I appreciate the cleaning\preservation compliment a ton man. I almost didn't do this post because it takes me a couple hours to get one together, but I had a bit of time this morning before afternoon activities, so I figured I'd put one together. You already had seen most of it, so I'm sure it wasnt too exciting!

Thanks a ton man! I have a feeling I left some smaller stuff behind last summer in the first pit sections I did. I was new at it and I don't think I properly excavated the pit to the bottom clay layer. metalev gave me a tip about clearing out the bottom until there was no more nails and since I started doing that, I've squeaked out cuff buttons and cuff links from that layer like a mad man! The first sections I did were the most productive too, including that post where I found 41 buttons in one tiny area. So maybe at some point, I'll reopen that section and see if I missed anything.

I took those sifter pictures while the paint was still curing! It's not as pretty after some time in the dirt. ha It is pretty sturdy, with a little wobble to it that I may have to reinforce. Its only in the legs when I pull it up with 100+ lbs of dirt in it.

Thanks CMDiamonddawg! This is my first, but the severed shank give me hope that its mate is somewhere close by. I'll open adjacent sections this week and see what turns up. Enjoy the pool man :thumbsup:

Thanks a ton Steve! I have seen them on here from time to time and thought they were really awesome. It appears they are often found in archaeological digs at prominent estates, so they were pretty popular back in the day. So you think they were 1780's to 1790's or so?

Brad, that date range is about right. I think their heyday was during the 1790s.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank God for real finds. And these are awesome ones at that. This fellars presentation is SECOND TO NONE. A work of art in and of itself.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pottery and glass Brad. I think they make displays look complete and partial reconstructions give the display character.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank God for real finds. And these are awesome ones at that. This fellars presentation is SECOND TO NONE. A work of art in and of itself.

No kidding!! Thanks a ton man. I really appreciate the compliment on preservation/presentation. I have to say, besides the TALLIO link, for the amount of dirt I moved, it was a slow sift hunt... but when I put everything together for pictures, it all looked pretty good. I miss seeing your posts in here man.

-Brad

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice finds, congratulations! Good job on your sifter it's very well made. :occasion14:

Thanks Professor! I enjoy making stuff, so building that sifter is fun. I have a couple more displays I need to build too.

Great post and finds

Thanks a ton Art!

Nice pottery and glass Brad. I think they make displays look complete and partial reconstructions give the display character.

Thanks man, they sure do. The main picture for this post looked bland before I added in the shards. Same goes for the display... really adds color and contrast and there's a cool look to pottery that's been glued back together.

You never cease to amaze with what comes out of your sifting pits, glad to see your efforts rewarded. Cuff is my favorite of the group:thumbsup:

Thanks Jon! That's my favorite cuff of the bunch too. I am also amazed at what turns up... I get really excited when I open a new section and hear unmasked targets. I think I might be addicted to it. :laughing7:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
No kidding!! Thanks a ton man. I really appreciate the compliment on preservation/presentation. I have to say, besides the TALLIO link, for the amount of dirt I moved, it was a slow sift hunt... but when I put everything together for pictures, it all looked pretty good. I miss seeing your posts in here man.

-Brad

You do move a lot of dirt. I heard you're so awesome that you can move enough dirt for two people sometimes....

And I agree with the others, real finds, even rusty nails are a beautiful thing. Especially when you clean them. You're work is amazing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread