Sifting TALLIO link, Jaw Harp and more...

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It had been over a month since I was able to sift and detect at my site and I finally got a chance to spend a few hours back there. I had finished my new sifter last week after giving my old sifter away, so I was anxious to give it a try. In the winter I marked off a few areas away from the main pit, where I dug plugs and found a concentration of items that made me want to sift it. So I decided to open up one of these areas and I found my favorite cufflink yet. Its a Tallio (Tally-Ho) Fox Hunting cufflink. In addition, I got my first iron shoe buckle frame piece, some pipe bowl fragments and another Jaw Harp.

IMG_20160704_110923455.jpg

I have seen these Tallio links and buttons posted on here from time to time. I am in a very equestrian area and have friends who fox hunt, so I always thought these links were awesome, but never imagined I'd find one. I had read how the British introduced fox hunting in the colonies and affluent colonials would often hunt. So historically, this link is very special to me. For those who have been following, the number of links I have found this year is obnoxious and it's only because I am sifting that most of these are turning up. Almost all my links lately have been located in the clay layer about 10-12" deep at the bottom of the pit. They are so thin and small that the machine cant detect them past a few inches. So the only way to get at these tiny items, is to move tons of dirt manually. When this link turned up I could tell it had a design, but put it in my cotton ball case. An hour or so later, I needed a break from moving dirt so I picked at it a bit and saw "TALLIO" across the top... that made me sit there and smile for a solid 10 minutes :headbang: The shank from the other link is sheared off and attached to the loop. So perhaps it will show up in an adjoining section.

IMG_20160704_110905682.jpg

Most of my non-ferrous items were very small and I kept getting broken tombac button fragments. Two of them fit together and have a nice etched design on them. Too bad it is broken and missing most of it.

IMG_20160704_111011309.jpg

The iron shoe buckle fragment was a unexpected find. I have dozens of brass buckle frames and fragments, but this was my first iron one.

IMG_20160701_085330677_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160704_111350110.jpg

Here are the links that I have pulled from the pit area this year. There are 8 of them, however the Louis XVII is most likely a button. I have two other oval links in the case, but not in this picture that I found last year at this site. Both of those are toasted and not nearly as nice to look at as these. I also dug a link in Maine and another link over the winter, so this has been the season for cufflinks for me.

IMG_20160704_112016360.jpg

This was the 4th Jaw Harp I dug here. I always wanted one, and after I found the first one over the winter, they seem to be turning up regularly.

IMG_20160704_111707118.jpg

I try to eyeball anything unusual in the sifter, including odd rocks which has gotten me 4 musket flints. This rock had a edge on it that looks like it might have been knapped to create a serration. I'm actually not confident that it is knapped, but I wanted to post it on here to see if anyone could verify. I've never found a Native American artifact so I know nothing about them at all... so most likely, this is just a broken rock. ha

IMG_20160704_111117405.jpg

And my new sifter... painted and with ball bearing legs. It looks a little beat up now that I've had it in the field. I was very impressed with the amount of dirt this can move.

IMG_20160628_131544994.jpg
IMG_20160628_131617308.jpg

Upvote 10

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Killer variety Brad that link is sweet!Nice link collection there best i have seen..

~Blaze

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your Jew harp site seems to be producing pretty well. I really like the Tallio cufflink. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You do move a lot of dirt. I heard you're so awesome that you can move enough dirt for two people sometimes....

And I agree with the others, real finds, even rusty nails are a beautiful thing. Especially when you clean them. You're work is amazing.

Haha. Thanks again buddy. You know me and my nails. Haha. I haven't tumbled the nails from sat yet, but I see a rose head or two in the pile. I have at least a couple hundred rose heads from this site and maybe a thousand square nails... and I'm unsure what I'll ever do with all of them. Ha

Great read and historic finds.

Thank you Kwillie!

Killer variety Brad that link is sweet!Nice link collection there best i have seen..

~Blaze

Thanks JB! I want a complete link set so bad... but I was lucky enough to see Abe dig one in ME... so I at least got to be there to see a set. That should tie me over until my day comes.

Your Jew harp site seems to be producing pretty well. I really like the Tallio cufflink. :thumbsup:

Thanks Evolution! Lots of variety has turned up with everything from Colonial to Civil War. Weather permitting, I'll get out some this week.

Beautiful artifacts you are uncovering! Nicely done!

Thank you Scruggs!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So apparently there is a "Blister Pearl" in the shell in my picture. :laughing7: I just went to take everything off my black mat and let it be absorbed into the display case, and I noticed a lump on the oyster shell. I googled a bit and asked a knowledgeable buddy and he confirmed it. I was about to toss the shell back into the pottery box with the rest of them, but I think this one will go into the display case now. haha

IMG_20160705_072929.jpg

I've been bringing home shells and I had no idea what I would ever do with them. I have at least 100 or more from this pit... well, now I have something else to keep my eye out for... blister pearls!

IMG_20160705_075205223.jpg

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome Brad! You are something else man, quite inspirational for all of us "arm chair relic hunters"!

Best of luck to you sir.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome Brad! You are something else man, quite inspirational for all of us "arm chair relic hunters"!

Best of luck to you sir.

Thanks a ton Tom! I typically start with arm chair research too... speaking of which, I have been doing some and this evening I am going back to try and locate new site for the 4th time. Its a spot that has caused me many failed attempts that turned into long hikes up and down a mountain. I never post those failed hunts where I slide down a mountain side and find nothing but rifle shells. :laughing7: With my latest research, I have a feeling tonight its the night I will finally find it. If I find it, I will refer to that site in my posts as "Nemesis" because of the anguish its caused me. haha

Last edited:

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again you find some excellent relics sifting, Brad-this is becoming a habit! The new sifter looks awesome. Regarding the rock it definitely has been knapped, possibly a scraper or serrated blade. Well done!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Once again you find some excellent relics sifting, Brad-this is becoming a habit! The new sifter looks awesome. Regarding the rock it definitely has been knapped, possibly a scraper or serrated blade. Well done!

Thanks a ton Glenn! Its worse than a habit, its turned into an addiction. :laughing7: At least moving tons of dirt is good exercise and you have so much fun, you don't realize your working for it.

Thats awesome news about the rock! Here are some better photos of it from both sides. Like I said, I don't know anything about these artifacts. I thought if it was knapped, you could see each chip they took off... which I cant really see. It definitely looks serrated, but to my untrained eye I just have no idea if its natural or not. With this new picture, do you still think it is man made? I'll be pretty happy if this is Native American.

IMG_20160705_130454721_HDR.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread