**SIGH**

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
It was a real short hunt today at a very small beach. We were the first ones there (this morning). I headed for the water and my daughter headed to the end to start griding the dry sand. We were there maybe 15 minutes when a couple of familys came and set them selves up on the beach but no kids and no one got in the water. Then some young adults came to net for bait fish. OK no problem. I will work to the left and let them do their thing on the right. NOPE.... they moved to the right. OK I will move over and let them do their thing. NOPE... they moved with me. No matter where I moved they moved too. I really tried to stay out of their way but it seemed that where I was .... was where they wanted to be. Finally they moved to one end of the water and stayed there for a while. Meanwhile I heard one of the people on the beach say something about dolphin. I started looking around and sure enough a dolphin was swimming in the swimming area. Not too far from me. I am not afraid of them but I don't want to shake hands (flippers) with them either. LOL I slowly backed myself towards shore all the while watching him. He was beautiful and was wonderful to watch but I wasn't wanting to get too friendly with the marine life heh heh heh.

How many people would go to work at a regular job and work for and hour and a half for 11 cents? Or for 2 cents? Not many I am guessing!

AndieMomFinds052709.jpg

Well the best I can say for today is that is was a short hunt, the weather was beautiful. The water was great. The dolphin was fun to watch and I only found one penny, one dime and a large sinker. Eleven cents was my total. My daughter didn't even do that well today. She only found two pennies but they are not in the picture. Ah well.... there's always tomorrow! I look forward to it and will wait impatiently for others to post their great finds! :wink:

Upvote 0

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mumszie:

It is a cool job, isn't it. By the way, welcome those Dolphins. Unlike Seals, they will not bother you. Also, when they are around you can bet the sharks are not. Dolphins despise them and actively go after them. There are a number of viedos available showing Dolphins attacking Sharks and the outcome depends on the Shark. It either heads for parts unknown or is killed (beaten to death). Diving, I've often had Dolphins swim around checking us out but never bothered us. Seals on the other hand can become a nuisance rather quickly. They like to make fast runs at you, turning off at the last second. Should this ever happen, just leave the water or ignore them and continue on with what you're doing. NEVER and I mean NEVER reach out and attempt to touch one as it is perfectly safe to with a Dolphin. The Seal then thinks you want to play and one of their favorite games is "bump". You will loose hands down.

Deepsix

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I don't think we have seals here in Florida but I could be wrong. As for dolphins (and manatee's) I've heard that they won't hurt you but I'm not going to test that out. They are pretty to watch but I'm not making friends with them. LOL

Northern Lights

Sep 15, 2008
Georgian Bay Lake Huron, 2 hrs N. of Toronto
Detector(s) used
whites surfmaster pulse, tesoro silver sabre, fisher 1280x
sounds like a area to keep your eyes wide open, sharks, dolpins, I hope you locals can teach me how to tell the difference next fall when we winter in your beautiful area, I hope to meet some of you. I guess I'll have to learn the tidal effects as well, as it will be a whole new ball game to me. It's always a great day though when wildlife is involved, just not the sharp toothed kind.
tc

G

gamiller

mumszie said:
I don't think we have seals here in Florida but I could be wrong. As for dolphins (and manatee's) I've heard that they won't hurt you but I'm not going to test that out. They are pretty to watch but I'm not making friends with them. LOL
Yes we have seals, i have seen them a place called Juniper Wayside outside of Ocala. Then again maybe it was an otter.

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL!!!! Actually, as far as I know, we don't have any Seal habitat here in Florida. That was merely an example. Dolphin and Manatee both are very safe to be around.

Deepsix

G

gamiller

deepsix47 said:
LOL!!!! Actually, as far as I know, we don't have any Seal habitat here in Florida. That was merely an example. Dolphin and Manatee both are very safe to be around.

Deepsix
Pretty sure they were otters and they weren't afraid of humans

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they were inland, in fresh water, near Ocala, they could have been Otters. I run into them often when I get into the back country with my canoe. They are a lot of fun to watch.

After a couple of years of looking, I finally found an old pioneer wagon road in central Florida. At one point, where it crosses a large stream, some otters have a mud slide and go nuts playing on it. As fast as they hit the water they climb back up the bank and go for it again. We've sat and watched them play for over an hour several times after a day of MD'ing.

Deepsix

Mat in MA

Feb 8, 2008
Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax, DetectorPro Head Hunter Wader, White's MXT, Garrett GTA500, White's Bullseye II pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mumszie,

It may be only 11 cents an hour but you can't beat the view out of your office window. While you look out your window think of those stuck inside with real windows. I'll take your office any day.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
mudslide spot -- a otter version of a "slip and slide"--- fresh water otters while fun to watch are a horror on the local fish population --yep their fish eating machines --- dolphins are cool / people freindlly critters -- sharks are not they can veiw you as a meal -- the two do not get along at all and sharks do not stick around when dolphins are about cuz dolphins will attack em ---since sharks prey on old, just born baby and sick dolphins when they can.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
as an old seaman (27 years) from a family line of seaman -- I'm the end of the line of a nearly 300 year long "known" family history of men going to sea -- there are storys of dolphins assisting shipwrecked humans and even protecting humans from shark attack by forming a protective circle around them and keeping sharks at bay --- the two are mortal enemy's of one another --- thats why many seafarers like dolphins --and hate sharks (except maybe sea going net vessel fisherman ---they think dolphin scare the fish deep)--- sharks are no match for a healthy dolphin -- they can only kill very young (baby) or sickly, old wore out dolphins .

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
as an old seaman (27 years) from a family line of seaman -- I'm the end of the line of a nearly 300 year long "known" family history of men going to sea -- there are storys of dolphins assisting shipwrecked humans and even protecting humans from shark attack by forming a protective circle around them and keeping sharks at bay --- the two are mortal enemy's of one another --- thats why many seafarers like dolphins --and hate sharks (except maybe sea going net vessel fisherman ---they think dolphin scare the fish deep)--- sharks are no match for a healthy dolphin -- they can only kill very young (baby) or sickly, old wore out dolphins .

Hi Ivan:

Those stories about Dolphins and Humans are true and there are a lot of them. I only actually witnessed one, in Tahiti but after that have no reason at all to disbelieve the others.

Deepsix

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions