Silicone grease for control box question?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silicone grease is available at any Home Depot and Lowes, found in the plumbing dept, and it can also be picked at at most dive shops as well. Hope that helps.

I personally would not use Vasoline.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DO NOT USE VASOLINE Vasoline seems like it will work, but it ruins the rubber gasket.

Silicone grease can be had at some hardware stores, at all dive shops, however it is expensive there. Instead visit a pool supply place as they have it in larger containers to last a life time for a whole club of water hunters very cheap. It is used for the O rings on the pumps and such. Do not get confused and use the silicone sealant which you will never be able to open the control box again, at least not without a lot of work.

Tesoro ships the new water detectors with some grease.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mumszie said:
Are you supposed to use this grease all the time on water machines? I never have used it on my CZ-20 and I sure hope I haven't ruined it!

Mumszie, It is used to help waterproof the cable connections, you want have ruined your detector, if you didn't use it. I use it on my Excal for the battery cable connection, I put it on the threads where the cable is screwed into the control unit.

Sandman suggested using it and I found that when I used it on my Excal it was more stable in the water. It also keeps the rubber gasket pliable..............

One of many tips Sandman has given to me and others (Thanks SM)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the box stores sell spray cans of silicone grease for about 4 bucks a can. spray it on your finger or a q tip. Aside from that, I don't know anything about it.

This is not the same stuff. The Silicone Grease is just that, a grease like a heavy lube that seals out water while making the gasket pliable. Petroleum products will ruin the rubber O rings.

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
snooksion said:
i use bacatracin it keeps the germs out of my unit :tard: :tard: :tard:
PMP

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!
Sandman is 100% correct about not using Vaseline on the gaskets or control box!!!

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
I purchased a few items from divers supply and they carry silicone grease in two different sizes,

I ordered the 1 1/2 ounce size, Sandman recommended i try silicone grease, I was getting a tiny trace of water in my excal battery plug and since i started using this i fill alot better while in the surf now.

This place also Carry's waterproof pouches to wear around your neck while detecting, They have different sizes and i have strapped my cell phone with me in chest deep water with no worries.

Its always safe to have a cell phone with you in case something happens, And these water proof pouches are the way to go.

Thanks Sandman for the recommendation on the silicone grease.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread