Silver 1968 Kennedy Half but no 6 WEIRD!!

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks hope all is well, I was doing some CRH this afternoon and came across this beauty..I did a double take and low and behold its a 40% silver 1968 Kennedy Half missing the 6, if you look closely at the pictures there is a very and I mean very slight 6 outline to it. The coin is definitely silver as it was bundled with other obvious silver coins too (will post those later)..I was wondering what kind of error this is!?! See the pics to see what I mean! Thanks guys! :icon_thumright:
IMG_20121115_132635.jpg
IMG_20121115_132643.jpg

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey folks hope all is well, I was doing some CRH this afternoon and came across this beauty..I did a double take and low and behold its a 40% silver 1968 Kennedy Half missing the 6, if you look closely at the pictures there is a very and I mean very slight 6 outline to it. The coin is definitely silver as it was bundled with other obvious silver coins too (will post those later)..I was wondering what kind of error this is!?! See the pics to see what I mean! Thanks guys! :icon_thumright:

Looks like a Filled Die to me. There is a lot of grease and grime in all of those machines stamping out coins. If a drop of it falls into the die and fills a number or letter, you will get an error like that. One of the more common errors, but all errors on larger denominations are rarer, I personally do not know the current value. There was a pretty good on on About.com about a quarter that said, "In God We rust"

Here is a newer one with a more dramatic fill on Ebay
Error 1995 D Grease Filled Die BU Kennedy Half Hard to Find Coin NR | eBay
$13 BIN.

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good information, looks like this coin got visited by uncle FILL, thanks Dejapooh..Its definitely caught my eye, ill be holding on to it for now! :)

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you think it could be?

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see the six, looks like it was smoothed down by a punch. You can see the round circle a punch would might make.

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats the rarity of this beans? No added value? thanks!

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be some one trying to make an error coin. Seems to be a trend of that sort of thing happening. I am not an expert, just guessing. Hold on to it till you can get an expert to look at it, maybe at a coin shop.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread