72cheyenne

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
Mansfield, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's M6, White's 6000di/pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver is always good to find. :thumbsup: Try soaking your wheaties in hot peroxide. I've seem to have good results with this technique.

OP
OP
A

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've tried hot peroxide without much success. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. How long do I soak? Do I just wipe them off after soaking or scrub them with a toothbrush or maybe even someting else? Do I repeat the process several times? These wheaties that came out of a yard are NOWHERE near as corroded as the ones that I find in agricultural fields (I suspect the fertilizers and/or chemicals the farmers use are DEATH to a penny). Most of the time I can just barely make out a portion of Lincoln's bust. Have found a few that I can't even make that out. Any suggestions for these? Would a tumbler even dent this much corrosion? For the most part I am against cleaning coins, but I don't see how it could possibly hurt a penny that is so corroded you can't make out a single number or word on it. A cleaned 1909 -S VDB would have to be worth more than an unrecognisable date penny. ;D

Also trying another method I read about on here somewhere. Soaked a paper towel in boiled olive oil. The pennies were placed on the towel and the towel folded over. This was weighted down. After a week or so when the paper towel is removed, all the gunk will supposedly stick to the paper towel. I'll let you know how well this works.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread