Silver and "gold" dog tag at the beach and a question.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big waves at the beach today, stayed on land attempting to keep my feet dry. The water was coming up far and creating little rivers in the sand as it ran back down.

These are the days when older coins can appear. I look for the black lines that run parallel to the water, sometimes the greenies are sitting right at the top there.

Pulled a '64 nickel, had the right year, but wrong denomination. Couple hits later the silver appeared, '52 Ike. Always amazes me how shiny it looks next to the clad!

Then the gold colored dog tag. The hook is all corroded, but the tag is in great shape. It's from outsmart, probably brass, but it's heavy. The other side has the owners full info, address, phone...would you call him to return it or if they lost the dog might it just make them sad?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413661575.661187.jpg

Upvote 8
OP
OP
HenryWaltonJonesJr

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The tag is from PetsMart, not outsmart, pretty funny autocorrect!

Darrow

Jul 22, 2014
Sherman, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 550, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the tag, I would keep it unless the dog was with it, nice finds.

OP
OP
HenryWaltonJonesJr

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow I messed up my presidents there, thanks for the clarification!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the silver dime! :occasion14:
I've found numerous dog ID tags, I've never phoned just in case the dogs already passed.

Dave

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug about 1/2 dozen pet name tags now (and probably twice that number or more of the rabies or local registration tags) and my initial thought was to possibly track the owners down and maybe return them. I have hesitated on this though as I wondered if possibly some of them may have been thrown into the ocean on purpose. Many of us that live by the beach and have dogs that loved to spend time there, may toss the tags in the ocean when they scatter the ashes of their pets when they pass. We have done that in the past ourselves. I have also dug crematorium tags from both humans and pets on the beaches here, those always go back into the water. Just didn't want to "stir up" any emotions over a pet that is no longer alive.

I can relate one positive experience I had in this regard, kinda happened by accident. A while back, I had done a couple of lake hunts in one close to the house, just to experiment a bit and hadn't really found much some junk and shotgun shells but I had found a tag that said "Jake on it. A few weeks later I was hanging out at a neighbors house on the lake and was talking to the wife about metal detecting, and showing off some finds, she was HOOKED!....wants her own detector now! She mentioned that she thought the lake might be a good place to check and I told her I had but hadn't found much and when I mentioned the tag she perked up, Jake? That was our old cat! He must have lost it when he was out prowling around. Jake had died a few years back but she was elated to get the tag back and even incorporated it into a piece of jewelry to wear.

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds Henry. and great story about the Jake tag Doc.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Neat find. I would take the advice of the above posters and hang onto it.
Why stir up negative emotions in someone who may otherwise be felling just fine??

Congrats.

OP
OP
HenryWaltonJonesJr

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since it had the full address I did consider just mailing it with no return address, just the name of the beach it was found, but if the dog was missing they might think it's a ransom note!

They might appreciate having it and might not so I'll take the advice from here and not contact them or send it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread