Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a state park to detect the day after Labor Day and there were 3 others there as well, 2 of us in the water and 2 on the beach. I worked a grid in the water like usual and so did the other guy. All of the guys appeared to be working a grid and doing a clean sweep, but I looked up occasionally and noticed the one guy on the beach was leaving large gaps in his swing and he had his coil 3 or 4 inches above the sand.

The water guy moved on to another area and I kept working my area and went over the part he had done just to be sure. He must have been moving too fast and leaving gaps in his swing also because I found 4 quarters, a dime and 2 pennies along with a toe ring and an earring in the part he had covered. Now he did find 3 rings (2 of them silver) in the second area because he got there first, but the same guy missed a titanium ring and a platinum ring last year when I check behind him.

I did a small portion of the beach out of curiosity moving from one area to the next and found coins and a ring less than an inch down in the sand. All of the other folks were using good detector so the machines could have gotten the job done.

Sorry for the long story, but I wanted to make the point that if you want to get as many goodies as possible you should 1. use a coil cover and scrub the ground with your swing, 2. Overlap your swings so the active portion of the coil covers ever inch and 3. Go slow enough to be sure you have covered the area completely.

In a way I am glad they did a poor job. It means more goodies for me, but the whole reason for being on Treasure Net is to help each other to learn about this hobby so we all do it right by sharing what we find and how we found it.

Now I will climb down from the soap box and show you my finds. 6 hours found 36 coins with a face value of $3.03, a few old ring tabs, brass screws, fishing sinkers, 3 rings, 3 earrings, 3 earring backs, a game token, a starter pistol blank, a belly button ring, a poor little dime that someone beat the heck out of (you can just barely tell it was a dime).

66F2BC1F-3B7C-4A22-84E5-3029602626FC.jpeg

One earring and an earring back are silver and the ring on the right is a really old style kiddy ring that has been out there a long time. It was in among a bunch of iron so it must have shifted over the winter so I could find it this year (I have detected this swimming area every year for at least 14 years, so no matter how good you are you never get it all). I know it looks rusty and ferrous, but it is actually copper or brass that has aged poorly. The stone looks like red plastic.

BAE7103C-5CEF-4464-9496-05DEC022E396.jpeg

Here is the old kiddy ring and the beat up dime.

184254A4-D5DA-4AD2-B141-066CD36B3666.jpeg 91D5F133-ABF0-4499-972A-5D892D7A228C.jpeg

The next day I went to another state park that is not used as much and from the looks of it nobody else had been there detecting yet. I spent 6.5 hours finishing the water and most of the beach. I managed to find 73 coins with a face value of $5.55, toy cars (I need a bigger garage ๐Ÿ˜†), sinkers, a 22 slug and casing, tabs and foil of course, 5 earrings and 3 rings, and I eyeballed a little lizard friend.

90DD89E6-89C3-4484-AD01-88F794BC7C4A.jpeg

The squiggly earring is marked 925, ring one is plated copper, two is stainless marked L316 and the last is a nice 14k wedding ring.

7DF0925C-0AAD-4D83-AB38-882D5A6B0E97.jpeg 0AB12C80-54AC-4210-83CF-A98606DF3713.jpeg

The wedding ring is .25 Troy ounces or 7.6 grams in weight. I found it in a dead zone in the water. I was moving along and not finding anything not even iron signals. I was thinking maybe I should speed up and get done, but I kept going slow and low and after 3 passes and 20 minutes with nothing I get a nice clear mid tone that read 68 on the VDI. Now I have had good signals like that before and gotten the blazinga prize, but this time it was a goodie.

A16478DA-CAF4-4386-A271-573FF2251A18.jpeg

So far so good. I hope to get to park number 3 tomorrow and maybe have some more luck. Thanks for looking and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 23

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt:icon_thumright:, super advice :notworthy:, but, let's try and keep that kind of good info to our greedy little selves. Know what I'm sayin'? Smell what I'm cooking?! :laughing7:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grats on a the gold and all the good finds and good advice. Ive noticed myself Ill go out many times and find nothing really good and I noticed that I was detecting at a pretty fast pace just kind of doing the motions I slowed down alot and wow what a difference that made and I mean significantly. Thanks for your post good advice and finds. HH Tommy

Last edited:

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TNT, kudos on the good helpful advice and nice assortment of finds!

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, thanks for the good advice:icon_thumleft: and Congrats on the nice finds you found:icon_thumright:

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Way to go and thanks for sharing the great advice for the readers here. I have learned a ton over the years from posts, videos and detecting with other TNetters. Good luck at your next spot!

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt, patience is everything, good advice, nice looking gold & a good ring day for you, nice pile of clad, congrats on all & HH

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats !!!

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt:icon_thumright:, super advice :notworthy:, but, let's try and keep that kind of good info to our greedy little selves. Know what I'm sayin'? Smell what I'm cooking?! :laughing7:

I know what you mean:tongue3:

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grats on a the gold and all the good finds and good advice. Ive noticed myself Ill go out many times and find nothing really good and I noticed that I was detecting at a pretty fast pace just kind of doing the motions I slowed down alot and wow what a difference that made and I mean significantly. Thanks for your post good advice and finds. HH Tommy

Thanks for backing me up on this Tommy. Keep swingin.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to you all. Keep swingin.

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes; LOW and SLOW! Nice hunt and advice.

aj

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and great pictures (especially like the lizard posing with the 14k ring). Toe rings and belly button rings - growing up in the 50's and 60's, that is something I never saw coming. Congrats !

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some good finds. That middle ring looks like a "spinner". I've found several spinners and they're always fun to find.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and great pictures (especially like the lizard posing with the 14k ring). Toe rings and belly button rings - growing up in the 50's and 60's, that is something I never saw coming. Congrats !

Yes โ€œLizzieโ€ likes the ring but it is too big for her. Yes things have changed a lot since I was a kid.

Keep swingin.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some good finds. That middle ring looks like a "spinner". I've found several spinners and they're always fun to find.

Yes the stainless ring does look like a spinner, but frequently they get that fine sand from the water in them and they donโ€™t spin anymore.

Keep swingin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread