Silver and gold...silver and gold...

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today was my day.

I'm only four months into coin roll hunting, and I consider myself low volume compared to a lot of you. If I hit nine boxes of halves a week with a few random boxes of other denominations, I'm cashed. So consequently, I've been dying here waiting to have something awesome to post. Guys, today I get to post.

My friend accompanied me on my coin roll hunting journey this morning and helped open rolls. Two boxes of dimes produced four silver Roosevelts. In addition to those, my friend found a 1912-D Barber in the first box. He rubbed it in quite a bit, as that is now the oldest coin in my hunting collection. The second box was even more interesting. My friend opened the last roll in the box and discarded the junk coins in the large Tupperware bowl I use. We sat there talking for a little bit when a discolored coin on top of the pile in the bowl caught my eye. Then I noticed that the design on the coin was different...probably just a foreign coin, right? I reach in, grab it, and see the Indian head. It's a gold 1929 2 1/2 dollar coin! AND WE ALMOST DUMPED IT!!! How stupid, how careless...how lucky, how awesome! I did a celebratory lap around the car, got back in, and started the nickel box.

The nickel box was almost solid 2013. It had maybe four normal rolls, and one of them had a 1945-P war nickel.

I still had boxes of halves to pick up, and we were already on cloud nine. Two boxes of halves and an extra dime box from one bank were all skunks. I picked up another three boxes of halves at another bank, but I couldn't open them until after a one-hour work meeting which turned into a two-hour work meeting. After the meeting, I went back to the first bank I got the dimes from and got their last available box of dimes to see if I could hit that collection dump (if it was one). The dime box produced two silver Roosevelts. The first box of halves was a skunk, the second box had one 90% Kennedy, and the third box was my best half dollar box of my young CRH career - seven 90% Kennedys and six 40% Kennedys. So that's what it feels like?? Man, did it fell GOOD!!

Thanks for reading! :)

IMG_1431.JPG IMG_1432.JPG IMG_1434.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, you're living the dream. way to go man! that is fantastic! absolutely crazy!

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still trying to catch lightning in a bottle! Wish me luck!

IMG_1438.JPG

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Nice day there. You got one of the very rare finds there. Your find will start a wave of dime boxes being searched! :goldtrophy:

Maine_Jim

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, banner? I think banner for sure.

MadPoetLaw

Feb 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
awesome find - you get my vote for banner. Truly a once in a lifetime find.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got my vote too But I will not post it as not to bring attention to the hobby!!!

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The eight dime boxes produced 11 silver Roosies, a Merc, and a 1958 Canadian silver dime. Should I take that Canadian as a sign that this ship has sailed, or should I try finding that connecting box through Monday?

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find.

It won't get banner, mine didn't, and it was submitted. Bringing attention doesn't matter.. the other forums already see us load and clear.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible score there. Thanks for the pic of the gold edge with the dimes. I thought, how could someone miss gold but it didn't stand out as much as I thought it would. Congrats.

bblair

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome score man, congratulations! I think all of us dream about making a rare find like that!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Incredible score there. Thanks for the pic of the gold edge with the dimes. I thought, how could someone miss gold but it didn't stand out as much as I thought it would. Congrats.

Some people may think it is gold-plated.

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a quick update. I took it to my favorite LCS this week to make sure it was legit, get a solid price on it, and buy a better container to hold it in. The manager's jaw dropped because I hid the coin behind the potentially greased-die/weak-strike Kennedy half dollar that I also wanted an opinion on. He looked the gold up in his bi-weekly price guide he receives, and he gave it a price of $290. He offered me $260 for it, but there's no way I'm parting with my first gold!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread