Silver buried in a powderhorn

easttexasdigger

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Hello all, and a Merry Christmas. Here is the supposed location of a buried powderhorn full of silver coins. I need help pinpointing as to where I should start with my detector. I have full access to this poperty so I plan on posting follow ups as I search. Thanks ahead for any help that you may offer.- Shane

Attachments

• Buried Powderhorn.jpg
    Buried Powderhorn.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 446

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
OK Shane..It is buried less than a foot deep…

Attachments

• Buried Powderhorn.jpg
    Buried Powderhorn.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 440
  • Powderhorn 2.jpg
    Powderhorn 2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 431
OP
OP
easttexasdigger

easttexasdigger

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Thanks Art, you are the man. I'll keep you posted on my findings. I plan to check it our during the holidays. Merry Christmas to ya. Have a cup of hot chocolate on me.... :coffee2:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked before scrolling down to look at Art's results. I got the exact same spot for the powder horn of silver coins...but I also found one another place for just silver coins.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Easttexas,
I agree with Art and Red_desert on the area of the powderhorn of silver coins, but I included a red X as my pinpoint.
Dowsing also revealed for me a gold and silver coin cache in the white circle and silver coin caches in the blue circles.
These caches are about 2 feet deep, approx. 20 lbs of coins each cache. Did not pick up on a container type.
Thanks for posting your picture and have a safe and happy holiday season.
Jon

Attachments

• Buried_Powderhorndowsed.jpg
    Buried_Powderhorndowsed.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 365

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just checking out the signals Teleprospector, got the same exact spot for the powderhorn of silver coins, but found another gold cache very close and to the right of the powderhorn.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red_desert said:
I was just checking out the signals Teleprospector, got the same exact spot for the powderhorn of silver coins, but found another gold cache very close and to the right of the powderhorn.

That's great Red _desert! It seems that there are some varying sizes of caches out there.
I feel there is a small amount of gold in that powderhorn too.
Jon

OP
OP
easttexasdigger

easttexasdigger

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Hey guys thanks so much for helping on this project. I should have mentioned that the cleared area is actually a cemetary, so you may be picking up on buried jewelry. Sorry about that. However its neat that you are picking up on this. Have a Merry, Merry Christmas.- Shane

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
easttexasdigger said:
Hey guys thanks so much for helping on this project. I should have mentioned that the cleared area is actually a cemetary, so you may be picking up on buried jewelry. Sorry about that. However its neat that you are picking up on this. Have a Merry, Merry Christmas.- Shane

That could be. Some people have used cemeteries as a guise by making it look like a person was being interred but it is really something of value.
Jon

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, there was a S Texas town along the Gulf, not sure now if this particular legend was a pirate or gang outlaw...but the town cemetery was used for concealing some very large caches of treasure. And I just remembered some similar legends involving cemeteries, in other states as well. Must have been quite a common practice for putlaws in that time period. Not only to hide stolen loot, I'm sure it would have been convenient for disposing of dead people they killed...get rid of evidence to avoid a hanging.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is what you do. Go to the north east side of the cemetery. Enter the woods and look for the biggest trees and start your search there. Detect around all the big trees at least 20 feet in every direction. I want two of the coins when you find them for helping . Post pictures so I can see which ones I would like. :thumbsup:

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just to let you know I'm not a dowser and this is from my own experiences. I have also read other stories of finds in that general area in the woods not far from a cemetery.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
~Libralabsoldier~
I do not think I am going to drive to South Texas on a dowser's hunch. No offense.
All it takes to become a Map Dowser is a lot of practice. Map Dowsing can only give you the area to start your search. I have been right on and I have been off as much as a ½ mile. I located a dead Deer for a gentleman and was 90 yards off.
Do some research and give it a try
~rodgerdodger~
Just to let you know I'm not a dowser and this is from my own experiences. I have also read other stories of finds in that general area in the woods not far from a cemetery.
Just like your research map dowsing is just an aide to our hobby… Art

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions