Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorgeous coin. Congratulations.

Definitely high AU and possibly even low MS. Possible light wear on the obv and rev high points.
But full horizontal and vertical lines on the shield and the eagles breast feathers appear distinct and full.

I'm definitely no expert but as others have said, get it conserved, before getting it graded for the most value.
(Unfortunately though, having them conserve it is no guarantee it will not get a "details" grade.)

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Late to the game here, and really nothing I can add. Not that it hasn't already been said, but I'm just at a loss for words. Congratulations on one of the best deserved banners I've seen.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big, bold, beautiful, brilliant, banner bust - bravo! You got it all with that find! Congrats! :notworthy:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on finding a US dream coin. Where are the rest of the million they made? Some in collections, some melted, and no doubt some still in the ground. Your find has boosted the hopes of every one of us! Gary

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
holy cow. I'd get it graded. that should easily fall in the 4 to 5 thousand dollar range

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unbelievable find! So jealous. Incredible condition. Huge congrats on the old US silver and banner!! You should submit it to W E Treasure for consideration for best finds of 2018. And from PA, love it!!!

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That’s an awesome half. What a find. Much congrats on that!

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
INCREDIBLE! And not to diminish your find even the tiniest bit, but I'm shocked to say this is the second one of these coins (same date, similar grade) I have seen dug this year. Was lucky enough to hold one of them, which was part of a spill with another big silver. Just dreamland stuff....

CONGRATS ON THE BANNER! That's a tough spot to land.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man you go to work for a couple of days and miss one of the greatest finds on Tnet. Truly awesome and well deserved banner. My advice to you (as everyone has an opinion) is this. Send detailed photos to PCGS and NGC both and ask their opinion of how it will grade. one the other or both will clamor to grade this thing for you if they believe it will be a good grade not enviro or details. These companies fight over scarce inventories because they want it in their inventory of graded coins. If they both come back to you with a desire to grade your find pick PCGS Everyone says that NGC is respected the same but quite frankly it is not. PCGS graded coins consistently sell at higher prices than any other grading service. Plain and simple. (I personally do not buy any coin that is not PCGS Graded) Then after the grading I would SELL this coin and buy a Bass Boat :) Thats just me. Someone here said this one did not fall far from the tree, they are correct. It looks like it fell out of the mint bag. Feather details are clear to the tip on reverse and the hair details on the obverse are not even slightly worn. This is a prize find n my books

OP
OP
baspinall

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
INCREDIBLE! And not to diminish your find even the tiniest bit, but I'm shocked to say this is the second one of these coins (same date, similar grade) I have seen dug this year. Was lucky enough to hold one of them, which was part of a spill with another big silver. Just dreamland stuff....

CONGRATS ON THE BANNER! That's a tough spot to land.

So I may get this coin graded. I have never had a coin graded before so I'm new to this. You mentioned sending an email to each PCGS and NGC. I think that is a good idea. However I see no way to do this? Unless I'm looking in the wrong areas on their websites the contact us forms have no way to send pictures.
Should I say it was dug? I guess they will know.
If I have a coin graded and it comes back unfavavorable then what? IS that recorded information if I decide to "unslab" it? No idea how this stuff works as you can see lol

OP
OP
baspinall

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also want to add there are some a couple fine scratches on the front which didn't really show in the photo here.

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I may get this coin graded. I have never had a coin graded before so I'm new to this. You mentioned sending an email to each PCGS and NGC. I think that is a good idea. However I see no way to do this? Unless I'm looking in the wrong areas on their websites the contact us forms have no way to send pictures.
If I have a coin graded and it comes back unfavavorable then what? IS that recorded information if I decide to "unslab" it? No idea how this stuff works as you can see lol

If it comes back details don't sweat it, it is what it is. If you break it out and resubmit it there is no "record" kept. Also FYI the TPG's are more lenient on older or more rare coins like this one. From what I've seen I think you'll be happy.

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL

Don't say it was dug. Just say your dad had it and passed it along to you or something like that. Are there any reputable coin dealers near you? They may be able to submit for you. If you'd rather do it yourself, just give PCGS a call directly and ask what you need to do to submit a coin. They will explain the membership thing and all the other fun stuff about it.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't say it was dug. Just say your dad had it and passed it along to you or something like that. Are there any reputable coin dealers near you? They may be able to submit for you. If you'd rather do it yourself, just give PCGS a call directly and ask what you need to do to submit a coin. They will explain the membership thing and all the other fun stuff about it.

No need to embellish or stretch the truth. Simply say you would like to get the coin conserved and graded and have never done it before.

Best of luck and of course, keep us in the loop.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

No need to embellish or stretch the truth. Simply say you would like to get the coin conserved and graded and have never done it before.

Best of luck and of course, keep us in the loop.

Agree! Where you acquired the coin is not a part of the application process. I would agree with advice to take it to the most reputable coin shoppe in your area. They could submit the coin for you and if they do many coins at a time, it's probably less likely to catch someone's eye as a dug coin. I think if PCGS sees a new member request from John Q Public and then receives one rare coin, they look at it more closely and might be pretty quick to assume it was dug, or possibly ask more questions than if it is there normal grading order from a large coin shop client. Just my 02. Take my advice with a grain of NaCl, though. I have never sent a coin in. Mine are all broken. Hahaha *tear

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread