Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, this was an interesting day. Got a call from Lakemonster and, with only a short time to hunt, we decided to hit a park that is about halfway between us. Lakemonster was trying out his just bought today White's VX3.....he was exited and I was glad for him. We both began to pick up signals right away and began finding a little clad. On about my 3rd or 4th hit, I got a strange looking zincoln signal on my F75.....jumping from about 68 to 78, so, I dug. Around 4" down I find my zincoln, recheck the hole and there is my 78 signal, whoa?! Digging a little deeper, I called Lakemonster over, he checked with his new machine and agreed with the assessment......another good signal about 8 1/2 inches down. A little more digging and there it was....a dog tag! No, wait....not a dog tag....it is 5 Dongs!! A little more poking around with the Garrett Propointer and, hot dog! (no pun intended) another 5 Dongs! A zincoln at 4" and 10 Dongs at 8 1/2" - 9"!! Here is a pic:

dongrvrse.jpg

dongface.jpg

We continued to hit our share of clad and Lakemonster scores some silver with a little ladybug ring, maybe he will pop in with a pic. Just a few minutes later, after exhausting the tot lot of change, I hit a solid high quarter signal on the F75, an unwavering 86, so, I dig and this pops out:

fakesapphire.jpg

sterlingmk.jpg

It's hard to read, but, it does say "Sterling" inside the band. The sapphire is fake, however....the star does not follow the primary light source, it remains stationary. But, it is a heavy, solid silver ring! Today's take was not a bad one for a short hunt, about two hours or so:

1026take.jpg

A silver ring, a foil butterfly, a button, some clad and, can you get a grip on this....???.......10 Dongs!! I have found Mexican coins, Canadian coins and, now, two Vietnamese coins! Obviously, a drop from some Vietnam vet. Wherever he may be, my thanks go out to him for his service to our great country!!

Upvote 0
Wow...a couple of 10" dongs.
Sounds like a weird park you found there.

deathhare said:
Wow...a couple of 10" dongs.
Sounds like a weird park you found there.

Yeah, they had a chili cook-off the week before.......kinda makes you wonder, doesn't it? (glad I didn't go!) And, they were only 8 1/2" or 9".
Anyone happen to know what Dongs are made of? They came out of the ground very clean and weigh too much to be aluminum.

That's what's so great about our hobby, you just don't know what's gonna come out of the ground next!

Another good story to reinforce that you always need to recheck the hole after you find your target...there might be more!

Interesting variety of goodies there.

Born Free

LOLOLOL......

I wondered how you were gonna title the thread. No way of skirting the issue I guess....they are what they are.

I was showing my wife on the internet what they looked like and found out that they are Nickel/Copper alloy. The later ones were supposedly made of aluminum. They sure are some of the neatest foreign coins I have seen.

I wish I knew the story on how they got from wartime Vietnam to 9" down in East Texas soil.

That ring sure is a honkin piece of silver..... I got some cabochons that size and tools if you ever have a mind to swap out the stone.

The old lady ran off with the ladybug ring (as usual) and I have to find it and take a pic.

That was a great quick hunt!

Sounds like you know what you are doing with the sapphire, but could it be a Linde Star from Linde-Carbide? Yes, they are man made, but they were quite well done and very popular, especially in the 50s. As long as the star isn't painted on. Now that's a fake.

High Plains Digger said:
Sounds like you know what you are doing with the sapphire, but could it be a Linde Star from Linde-Carbide? Yes, they are man made, but they were quite well done and very popular, especially in the 50s. As long as the star isn't painted on. Now that's a fake.

I've never heard of the Linde Stars. This is definitely not painted on, it is made into the stone. Thanks for the info, I will certainly do some checking into that!

I found out the "Dongs" aren't worth a whole lot.......one Dong is worth about 1/200 th of a U.S. penny. Can you imagine the pockets a little kid must have had in VietNam to get a gumball out of a machine!!?? :o

Well the Dong goes a long way over there.
I was in Vietnam a couple years ago. Great place to visit.
Step off the plane and your'e rich as hell. :hello2:
Average monthly salary is around $300USD.

Looks like you had a dong good day! ;D

earlier this year I found a brass 5000 dong vietnamese coin dated 2003.

matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back