Silver coin changed colour after cleaning with vinegar, how do I get it back?

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Until a member jumps in - just wondering if you cleaned them with vinegar again - maybe they would shine up again?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dip them in JewelLuster.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Dip them in JewelLuster.

Since they are already improperly cleaned, I agree! You could forgo the cost of Jewel Luster and make a small bowl shape out of the dull side of Aluminum Foil, pour white vinegar in it, a quarter teaspoon of salt, mix and then drop the coins in. It may take some adjusting, like adding more salt to get them Silvery again. Just don't leave them in past the point that they become Silvery, otherwise they will turn Black. Once done, insure you rinse them with water, pat dry with a soft towel then let them air dry before placing them in a protective holder, if that is your plans.

Frank

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is not that multi -tone the way many want their coins to look these days. lol

OP
OP
Detector Wars

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
metal_detector.gif
Until a member jumps in - just wondering if you cleaned them with vinegar again - maybe they would shine up again?

If I don't get a solution to this problem I will try that, apparently it works on some coins. Just don't want to make the problem worse.

OP
OP
Detector Wars

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
Since they are already improperly cleaned, I agree! You could forgo the cost of Jewel Luster and make a small bowl shape out of the dull side of Aluminum Foil, pour white vinegar in it, a quarter teaspoon of salt, mix and then drop the coins in. It may take some adjusting, like adding more salt to get them Silvery again. Just don't leave them in past the point that they become Silvery, otherwise they will turn Black. Once done, insure you rinse them with water, pat dry with a soft towel then let them air dry before placing them in a protective holder, if that is your plans.

Frank

For anyone reading this, this is a type of electrolysis and is really really bad advice. For goodness sake, do not use electrolysis on any coin!

I'm familiar with electrolysis, it only works on mildly oxidised pieces, at best, basically what's already easy to clean. At worst, you damage the coin, mostly if it's silver you just discolour it in various other ways.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you had this problem and has JewelLuster solved it? I've used jewelry cleaning/polish products and they are really bad.
Yes, I've personally used it on ugly toned silver (the blotchy dark stuff, not the pretty rainbow type that I like) with good success. Friends of mine have used it for all types of toning. I think the new container says "E Zest coin cleaner" on it. Most coin dealers carry it. All cleaning methods attack the coin in one way or another. This method seems to be the least invasive. Light toning is removed in a matter of seconds, so, don't let it sit in the stuff for any length of time. You can always give it a second treatment if necessary.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Lets see, ALL of the real coin people have said over and over NOT to try to clean coins. You decided to forgo that advice and dropped your Silver coins in a pretty hard acid (ph 4.25 to 5). So, you've stripped off the natural luster, you've damaged the natural finish, and now, surprise, the coins are toning down again (Oxigen and silver mix with other environmental elements to create a tone). If you are getting ANYTHING attractive, multi-colored hues sounds pretty cool), you are still better off leaving them as they are. If you really HAVE to do something, because just leaving things alone is never acceptable to some people, you COULD neutralize the surfaces (remove the acid from their last bath). 3 cups of warm water (not hot), put a teaspoon of Baking soda into the first cup and stir until dissolved. Rinse coin in the first cup (do not rub the surfaces), then rinse in the second cup, and finally, rinse on the final cup (that is 2 cups of clean water). Then pat dry with a soft cloth. They will still be toning, but the process will be slowed a bit.

If you want to remove the toning altogether and you don't care what happens to the coin, go to a coin dealer, trade your coin for his, Throw in a few bucks to make it worth his time, and this time, leave the darn thing alone. He will take care of melting your coins down for you.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
For anyone reading this, this is a type of electrolysis and is really really bad advice. For goodness sake, do not use electrolysis on any coin!

I'm familiar with electrolysis, it only works on mildly oxidised pieces, at best, basically what's already easy to clean. At worst, you damage the coin, mostly if it's silver you just discolour it in various other ways.

You have already committed the ultimate sin of cleaning coins and with vinegar no less and now you are saying the technique I recommended is bad advice!!??!!?? You asked how to get your' coins Silvery again, I gave you a way and you dis it. The technique works but you have to know how to use it and when to get the coins out before damage occurs! Sorry for the rant but "don't bite the hand that feeds you or you might just be eating crap the next time". I tell this to my youngest daughter who has a tendency to berate Fast Food Workers when they get her order wrong!

Frank

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; A few things here. Huntsman is right. I use the process myself and it will take away the toning you want to get rid of. Thing is if you want to save and display them then go for it. Just make sure to rinse them off afterwards. Second is that if your going to scrap them then why are you cleaning them in the first place. The Dealer does not care about toning on scrap coins. You have not said what you intend to do with them. Just some friendly advice. PEACE:RONB

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of all the ways I know to clean silver coins, vinegar is not one I would use.
If you find a silver coin that's been in the ocean for over 60 years and is totally encrusted, how would you go about cleaning it?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks huntsman53. Your 2nd link doesn't work, but, the first is interesting. Their process looks a lot more aggressive and damaging than my simple vinegar dunk and cleanup with baking soda. Their acids are much stronger than vinegar. I do use electrolysis occasionally, but, I find the vinegar treatment works just as good on silver. I've used muriatic and nitric for other items and some testing purposes, but, they're very powerful in concentrated form.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basically what everyone is trying to say is shining coins to make them "pretty" doesn't increase their value, it lowers it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread