Silver coin totals from the last 6 hunts. Morgan and 9 dimes and one is a 1895-O !

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are my silver coin totals from the 6 trips to my "super sweet 1900 picnic site" during the past month of Sept. and first week of Oct. 2014. One 1890-O Morgan, one 1895-O, two 1897 no mint mark, one 1898 no mint mark, one 1899-S, one 1899 no mint mark, one 1900 no mint mark, one 1901 no mint and a 1903 no mint mark. I was looking over for key dates and realized the 1895-O is one of the lowest minted Barber dimes in the series! Read only 440,000 minted. Yes!! :headbang: Now does anyone have any thoughts on this one possible rough idea on grade and value? Would it be worth it to send it out for grading? This detecting site has been great I have pulled 73 coins most Ih's dating from 1873 - 1904 in the last month or so. In the future I will post the Indian head coin and relic totals. Figured the totals are so great I am going to need to split into a few posts to cover everything. All these items together paint a very good picture of what, when and where was happening at this site around the turn of the 1900th century. Sorry about the bad pics nothing super special other then the 95-O. 004.JPG 003.JPG 008.JPG 010.JPG 011.JPG

Upvote 10
OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those that are unfamiliar with the Barber dime series the 1895-O is the rarest of them all. Other then the 1894-S, which only something like ten of those known to exist. 006.JPG 007.JPG Key date for sure! Anyway I was wondering if anyone can tell me how much grading cost? And what condition grade mine appears to be in? I guess Fair condition. I don't sell any of my finds I just figure a rarer coin like this should be properly documented. I also will post this under the coins forum. Here are some better pictures. Thanks for the help.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man it must've been an amazing feeling to see that morgan staring back up at u

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man it must've been an amazing feeling to see that morgan staring back up at u

Yeah it was awesome! I am glad I took pictures when I dug it! That was a little over a month ago and a week hasn't gone by that don't look at the pictures. Only took me ten years to find one. Also in my neck of the woods the only thing to top that Morgan would be a gold coin.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds, here is a link, you can get it slabbed fairly cheap, I believe. Just have to be careful, might come back saying improperly cleaned just from scratches from the dirt. I don't know that for a fact, but I think it might be a possibility, you need to get better advise from someone that has slabbed a silver from the ground.

Either way, great finds!

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds, here is a link, you can get it slabbed fairly cheap, I believe. Just have to be careful, might come back saying improperly cleaned just from scratches from the dirt. I don't know that for a fact, but I think it might be a possibility, you need to get better advise from someone that has slabbed a silver from the ground.

Either way, great finds!

Thanks for the advice. Treble yes all the above silvers found I washed them with the water very carful. Let them set for a while and come back and pour more water on them. Just to be more clear I did not find these silvers and just put then in my bag with all the Iron and what not. I don't see the difference in getting it graded if it was dug or not, it is what it is? :dontknow:

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a nice VF too me, but its going to get a knock for damage if you have it slabbed. The only advantage to slabbing it would be for authentication. Is it worth it? That depends on you, the coin is worth the same either way. Its a great find anyway.

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see the difference in getting it graded if it was dug or not, it is what it is? :dontknow:

Being dug doesn't make a difference necessarily, but dirt has abrasives and they often leave hairlines on the coin, resulting in a improperly cleaned notation. I don't see that from the pics, just looks like the dime took a hit or two.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Grats on that 1895-O found one myself once but mine was wore down to the "Thin Dime" status at least all the text was visible still tho =)

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say certainly between Fine and Very Fine.

The PCGS website leaves a gap between grades 12 and 40. Kept getting error messages when I tried to narrow the gap on the top tabs. That's unfortunate as they tend to be more credible.

Barber Dime (1892-1916) Value - PCGS Price Guide

I did find this one that lists "Fine" as being valued at $721.

Barber Dime Value on the Rise

And, by the way - an absolutely GREAT finds amongst the wonderful finds you showed us :)

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Helix that's a beauty bud. Most grading companies use a sliding scale that is based upon the estimated value of your coin. But it's fairly reasonable. You will get so many different answers on the whole grading/slabbing thing. My buddy owns a coin shop and does some work for Stacks on occasion. He is a big fan of getting coins graded and slabbed because it means that it's encapsulated and can never be prone to any more damage in the future. If you plan on keeping it and what it graded and slabbed go for it. Don't worry about whatever tag they put on it. Just look at it safe and snug in its little case and know you found a wonderful coin. Congrats on that one bud

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Nice find! It looks like roughly a Fine. But keep in mind if you send it in it'll probably come back in a genuine holder. Those obverse scratches and the standard dug coin color might get it an improperly cleaned designation. Maybe just buy a coinworld slab and throw it in for now.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah slab it yourself and save the big "Damaged" written across it. You know what it is already and that it's real. Very nice coin by the way!

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He is a big fan of getting coins graded and slabbed because it means that it's encapsulated and can never be prone to any more damage in the future. If you plan on keeping it and what it graded and slabbed go for it.

And that's a excellent reason, along with the fact that slabs are a attractive way to display your collection.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on a rare find, as well as the morgan and others

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread