Silver coins, a seal matrix and many pictures...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a beautiful day Thursday, not that I got to enjoy it much at work so, I did a night hunt. Found a few interesting things, button, musket ball and a broken harness mount with a nice design on it. Here is a field I detected Friday afternoon, have not detected it before. It came as a package deal when I asked permission to hunt a field and received permission to detect all the farmer’s land so I gave it a try. Found some interesting relics here, a few crusty coins and two glass beads.
normal_18Nov06field.jpg

We busted butt all week at work and was given Friday afternoon off as compensation as we are doing above and beyond so, I drove to a park named Monte Kaolino with a man made sand ski mountain, camp ground, pool and a huge playground and it’s all quartz sand. This place attracts many people through out the summer and I found over $120.00 (100 Euros) in about 6 hours (2 hunts) last year, my best hunts as far as modern cash coins go. While driving there I remembered my wife mentioning they were going to start a renovation project to revamp the place but, I thought how bad could it be? Well, they wiped the place out, took out the pool, removed most of the sand. The building below is where the huge playground was. Beyond the buildings is a new pool. I looked around and started the 50 minute drive back home with my tail between my legs, wimper! Then I went to the field above.
18Nov06monte.jpg

Where do they get all that sand to make a ski mountain? From this sand pit, it is massive! There are two blurry images to the middle right of big back hoes.
18Nov06pit.jpg

Today was a good day on a field beside the field where I found the gold coin! Have only detected it once due to cropping. Was a little rough from plowing but not a leg breaker and the dirt being so soft and moist from all the rain we have had made it a prime field for targets. Here are some of the relics. Top is a metal pen, some buttons, a train wheel and a few whatsits.
18Nov06relics.jpg

A copper religious pendant with Christ on the cross, a harness mount décor with some interesting design and part of a decorative hinge.
18Nov06rrelics.jpg

Four musket balls, three crusty zinc WWII coins, an 1889 Pfennig coin and two lead seals.
18Nov06mrelics.jpg

Two glass beads I found Friday. Finally found a green bead.
18Nov06beads.jpg

A nice little seal matrix for stamping into a wax seal. I have mirrored the image so this is what the stamp would look like when pressed into wax, the initials R.A. Not a very old seal matrix and probably dates from the mid to the late 1800s. Still an awesome find, very personable find.
18Nov06sealmatO.jpg

Top of the seal matrix with a stem that would have had a wooden handle attached.
18Nov06sealmatR.jpg

Silver coins have eluded me lately so I was happy to pull this 1830 silver coin up, just a bit smaller than an American dime. The obverse.
18Nov061830O.jpg

Reverse of the 1830, it is a 3 Kreuzer coin with some nice definition as the date really stands out.
18Nov061830R.jpg

My second target on the field, a copper 1794 Pfennig coin. Condition is fair but, the design and date is still there. Not bad for a field find with all the acids in the soil. The obverse.
18Nov061794O.jpg

The reverse of the 1794 with a winged dragon. Not sure where it is from.
18Nov061794R.jpg

And the last find of the day, a silver Bavarian 6 Kreuzer coin from 1808, a little smaller than an American quarter. Thought it was a button as it had a shabby black patina on it so I cleaned it with silver cleaner and the details came out much better.
18Nov061808O.jpg

Reverse of the 1808, date at the bottom legend. Thanks for looking and I hope to get out tomorrow after some chores around the house. HH, Mike
18Nov061808R.jpg

Upvote 0

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Mike ,Great digs !! I have been looking for one of those wax stamps since I got here. Real nice. :)

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Beautiful old coins Mike, congrats on those.
I hate when a plan doesn't work out,
but you made a good back up plan that paid off.

Smiles!
BDoo

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome stuff :) :) :)

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice post mike, thanks for all the pics and great finds-
stve

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mike, I can always count on your for a great post. You've found some nice things....again. I love the seal matrix...and, of course, the coins. :)

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
Cool finds! I found a 3 hole button like a lot of us find over here.. the one thing I do know they went on was a german ww2 shelter half, but i am sure they could of been used on other stuff. Keep digging as much as you can! Snow is around the corner :( Happy Hunting!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some real beautie's there Mike....Keep up the good work!!Alway's enjoy your post...Congrat's and HH!!

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post Mike....excellent everything, thanks for sharing!

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Mike, thanks for posting them and the pictures. I'd love to hunt a field like that.

HH, Ringfinder

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Great post man. Some wonderful finds love those old silvers, the surface of them looks a bit like the silvers the beach hunters gather,must be some really tough soil over there. Great pics too thanks for sharing...HH

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
WOW that was a huge pit. Love the scenery you provide with your posts. Perhaps soon I will recognize some of the pics. Please none of Graf and Hohenfeld though LOL.

You really make me wish I was detecting while I was over there. You have some really awesome posts with so many great finds. No exception here either.

Congratulations on all of those great finds. Try not too work too hard Mike. Germany took a lot of my sweat into its ground, but not detecting. Don't let it take away lots of your sweat LoL.

Postalrevnant

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for the nice comments, sure makes it easier to put together a post! The 1794 has been IDed, it is from Rostock Germany. Hey Postalrevnant, you will be surprised to hear this, Hohenfels is very close to where the largest German Celtic pot of gold coins has been found, you probably walked over Celtic gold coins while training, LOL, and I probably have too! This means there was a high thriving community of Celts in that area, they often did a lot of trade with the Romans in Regensburg on the Danube river. It was Celt before the Romans invaded though. I hope to get a few hunts in while in the area however, it will be dark when I get of work, >:(. HH, Mike

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Awesome coins and relics Mike! ;D ;D ;D

Those old silver coins are the bomb as my daughter use to say. Very nice. Thanks for all the on site pics too. I have gone to sites and returned with my tail between my legs too. :D

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread