Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at three sites yesterday and the day before. Ground conditions were great. I actually got hot yesterday digging in the neighboring county.

First site was multi use and got the scrap lead and big tombac button there. That's a coup because it's a well known place and shouldn't have much left in it, but I thought if I got one item I would be doing well.

The rest is from two contiguous farms not far from me. I spent about three hours there. There are four silver dimes, six dirty nickels and a buck shot and minie ball in the dirty group. I just got them out of the car.

Also I did dig some larger iron like horse shoes just to make sure I hadn't missed any iron trade axes. Alas, there were none. Under all that dirt looks like two Jefferson nickels, one V nickel and the rest buffalos.

Two of the dimes are Barbers, two Mercs.

My...everything...hurts! Rain today and for most of the rest of the month although a friend told me it was getting much colder tonight and we were probably getting an ice storm tonight. IMG_1380.JPG IMG_1381.JPG IMG_1379.JPG

Upvote 20
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. My favorite is the button. I do collect buttons I have dug.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spring will be here soon! Good job

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds Smokey!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's going to go from spring to hotter than hades in less than 4 weeks here, counting from the next first day probably in March it gets warm. Just watch. Ground isn't frozen and it's going to rain for almost 2 weeks straight starting again tonight. It rained yesterday. I'm seeing numerous birds coming back from the south already. Several types of sparrows and the robins are back. Huge blackbird flocks too heading north, although I think they're a little early. The geese had the local pond literally covered the other day. I think it's going to be a short digging season and I have signed up for numerous paid digs all over the place, so will at best be looking for some new spots locally. I can't do the heat anymore. Five antiques shows upcoming. A flight. Three long road trips. Most of my spring is already done for.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good hunt Smokey nice dines and tombac glad you got out I dont think anything will stop you totally me either when I'm 80 I'll be crawling with a pinpointer and a salad spoon lol. Keep em coming my friend. Tommy

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tommy, compared to last year and the year before I have slowed down 80%! That's one reason I don't do some of the spots I used to anymore. Plus some of those 150-200 mile one way drives have ceased.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still have CRH and I'll tell ya those thrift stores and yard sales have tons of hidden gems just gotta tweak what kinda treasure hunting you do that's all..

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't done the thrift stores. I have never found much there. May do some more quarters.

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. I like those horseshoes, and really must start digging some of those iron tones. Those dimes are great too. Congrats!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to tell you but the horseshoes went in the trash...I am STILL downsizing although it's starting to look really good now! I just posted them to let all of you know I do dig some junk...in this case looking for colonial axes, to no avail.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your name is very similar to one who posted the other day that they couldn’t detect anymore

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I barely can. But I'm hard headed.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. For the silvers and nickels, I basically went back over the area I had found the others the other day. I just plain walked by these the first time. I think I got them all. When it stops raining, if it does, I will go back for one more check this year on the field. The farmer has recently taken to discing and planting the same day, so next opportunity will be around Thanksgiving. On the soybean fields, he just sprays and drills new seed into the ground. In 2021 he will rotate crops again, I doubt he'll do it this year.

Gregg3131

May 24, 2015
Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Limited Edition
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Smokey

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread